Regarding Water and Electricity Charges

5 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I am currently staying in Germany. I am going to my home country for two months. 

I have a contract with Stadtwerke. Every month, they deduct a minimal charge of 30 Euros from my account. My question is: since I will not be staying in the house for a duration of two months, do they deduct 30 Euros each month even if there is no usage? Thank you very much in advance.

Kind regards,

Nagendra

If you are not moving permanently and canceling your contract, yes, they will continue to deduct the 30 euros per month.

that monthly payment is based on an estimate of your anticipated usage for the year, divided over 12 payments.  At the end of the year they will calculate your actual usage for the year and refund any overpayment you made, or you may owe them something if you used more than estimated.  

Sure they will...

Just like your landlord and your health insurance would expect you to keep up with your part of the contract

yes, except you won't be getting any refund from the landlord or health insurance because your "usage" was lower for two months ;)

eta:  but OP you may not get a refund either.  If you haven't been in the apartment for long, the estimated usage may be quite inaccurate.