Tax Refund

10 posts in this topic

For the years 2015-2018, I never claimed tax refund.

Am I still eligible to claim for tax refund for the a bit long past years?

How to do this? Is this possible to do by myself? Is there any software tools I can use?

Yes, you can.  Yes you can do it yourself.  Yes, there is software to help you.  The bare-bone is ELSTER provided for free by the tax authorities, but to me that's too complicated (probably it is not), so I use a software on top of it to make it easier.  If you speak German I recommend you a software called WISO,I have used it for several years and it is very painless.  If you do not speak German, the only software I know in English is https://www.steuergo.de/ but I have never used it.

1 hour ago, Krieg said:

Yes, you can.  Yes you can do it yourself.  Yes, there is software to help you.  The bare-bone is ELSTER provided for free by the tax authorities, but to me that's too complicated (probably it is not), so I use a software on top of it to make it easier.  If you speak German I recommend you a software called WISO,I have used it for several years and it is very painless.  If you do not speak German, the only software I know in English is https://www.steuergo.de/ but I have never used it.

Thank you for the information.

Steuergo is good (and comprehensive), although the interface is a little buggy. If you don't have Unterhalt to report (money sent for support of overseas relatives), then go with Germantaxes.de  it is even better. I have used it and the interface is nicer and not buggy. Before you submit you upload a pic of your passport and residence permit (both sides).

Got my tax return in 4 weeks..

for 2018 you can go as far back as 2015 before December 31st 2019. Only if you are an employee who doesn't owe taxes and just expects to get a tax refund.

I used a Steuerberator in a tax club (Steuerverein) and it was helpful for the first time, but afterwards just inconvenient and expensive compared to doing it online. With the online service, I can do it in my pajamas. For the Steuerberator I had to put my clothes on, visit them, find out I need x y z document and go back home to find all the paperwork for them... then return on another appointment, all just let to them do some data entry into a computer, which... I can do from home in my pajamas...

8 hours ago, Krieg said:

I concur, WISO is the way to go...

I used Steuergo, easy..ish to use. For sites without English option use Chrome browser which has an instant translation. 

check out  Germantaxes.de  as at the end of the pages it has links to different types of expenses you can claim, up to a certain amount some do not need any proof

15 hours ago, Welshjo said:

For sites without English option use Chrome browser which has an instant translation. 

This is a good tip Welshjo.  However there is one point users might need to be aware of.  If you wish to submit information via a page that you have translated you sometimes need to reset the page to the original text before doing so.

10 minutes ago, starkebogen said:

This is a good tip Welshjo.  However there is one point users might need to be aware of.  If you wish to submit information via a page that you have translated you sometimes need to reset the page to the original text before doing so.

Ture. For forms to fill on internet, I often open 2 windows one in DE, one in EN, and submit the DE version.

1 hour ago, SmurfLee said:

Ture. For forms to fill on internet, I often open 2 windows one in DE, one in EN, and submit the DE version.

Good idea Ture.  Thank you.  Why didn't I think of that (especially as I have two screens).