Review about Bürgerhospital for child birth

6 posts in this topic

Hello All , 

We are new to germany and we are palling for our 1st baby birth at Bürger hospital by april 1st week . 

Can you please tell your own experiences at Bürger Hospital like how is the hospital staff if they speak englsih , still we are not able to find midwife its difficult in frankfurt .

Thanks,

Kamalakar.

Don't think you'll have to worry too much. Most if not all the doctors will have passable English. The hospital staff wil probably have enough people that can manage English. Germans take learning languages pretty seriously, especially English.  Think of all the  medical journals, etc., that doctors have to read and medical conferences they attend that have presentations that are in English. You could also visit the ward where your wife is going to deliver and ask.  Not sure what you mean by a midwife but, in Stuttgart at least, the Hebamme was Pflicht and we didn't have to look for her, she showed up at our door about a week after the birth.

First of all: congratulations!

You/your wife have a right to visits from a midwife before the birth and after (after: Nachsorge/Wochenbettbetreuung.

Also, have you signed up for a preparation class? (Geburtsvorbereitungskurs)

You will have to find your own midwife and it is getting increasingly difficult as many self-employed ones stop offering the service because their insurance premiums have gone through the roof in recent years.

Re: midwife: Have you tried here?

https://www.hebammensuche.de/

Some more links here at the bottom

https://www.hebammenverband.de/familie/hebammensuche/#c11732

Hebammensuche.de lets you put in the Zip code and you can search for languages.

Another option is to check the hospital page, they often list midwives in the area. Some post lists on their website, but I didn't find anything at Bürgerhospital. You could check other hospitals in Ffm. Or maybe ask your doctor.

If you still have trouble finding one (and for April, you are quite late), ask if the ones you contact can recommend someone. Some midwives are not listed on the web portals because they get too many inquiries.

Ideally, she will visit you before the birth so you can see if you get along. Chemistry is very important.

You could ask your health insurance, too.

Having a midwife is extremely imporant, especially for the first baby!

Definitely visit the hospital before the birth to see the delivery rooms etc. It's good to know where everything is and to get a feeling for the place.

Registering beforehand is also good. It takes care of the formalities and you can discuss plans and wishes for the birth. If you don't want to do the tour in German, the might be able to give you a quick one when you register.

Have you read through this? https://www.buergerhospital-ffm.de/fileadmin/BH_Flyer_pdfs/1803_Born_at_Buergerhospital_web.pdf?_=1521020409

In Frankfurt, chances are higher to find English speaking doctors etc. than in Hintertupfingen. But do not expect everyone to be fluent, e.g. nurses or administration staff. Another reason to get in touch with the hospital well before so you can find out more while you are not stressed (yet).

Wishing you all the best!

3 hours ago, trrr said:

Don't think you'll have to worry too much. Most if not all the doctors will have passable English. The hospital staff wil probably have enough people that can manage English.

From the standpoint of German hospitals in general, I find this statement extremely dubious.

I spent a week in hospital a couple years back, and while most of the doctors did speak english fairly well, communicating with nursing staff in english was a complete no-go - they really and truly had no skills whatsoever. 

I was also just in the hospital for a couple of days last week (which is in fact a birthing hospital as well, but I was not birthing, myself) and the same applied.  I did have one native speaking nurse but the rest, nope - no english at all.  I'd say the cleaning staff was more likely to speak some english than the nurses, presumably as most of them were foreigners?  not sure.  My surgeon also isn't great with english, but he's absolutely excellent so it was worth it to me to muddle through that part.

Maybe speak with the hospital about this to get a better feel for the english skills of their staff.

Thank Alot Maxie for inputs . Its more difficult to find midwife in frankfurt :(

We keep on trying from long time by contacting all miwifes we got on internet .

We are planning to go with Bürger hospital thought of checking with people who had expereince with baby birth at Bürger Hospital .

Thanks,

Kamalakar