Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Student Visa - After Graduation

2 posts in this topic

Hello

I was looking for a similar topic but could not find it.

My student resident permit is valid until September, but this winter semester (ends in March) is my last semester as I already got my diploma and transcripts. Would my resident permit still be valid until September even though I am not officially a student anymore, I know some countries give it as a grace period for people to finalize and move, or would it theoretically get invalidated once I am not a student anymore? or is there a certain amount of months I can stay after finishing my Master?

Best,

1 hour ago, Homesweethome said:

Would my resident permit still be valid until September even though I am not officially a student anymore, I know some countries give it as a grace period for people to finalize and move, or would it theoretically get invalidated once I am not a student anymore?

Visas issued for the purpose of studying at German higher education institutes (Universitäts and Fachhochschüle) are dependent for their validity on the holder being registered (immatrikulated) at the institute so yours will probably expire by default automatically at the end of the Winter semester (if not before - should your institute deregister you earlier).

or is there a certain amount of months I can stay after finishing my Master?

Those who have successfully completed a post-graduate course at a German higher education institute are entitled to apply for a one-time job seeking visa which may be valid for up to 18 months. You cannot start work whilst on that visa but, once you have a suitable (compliant with the current Agentur für Arbeit standards for non-EU workers) offer in writing, it should be easy to get that visa replaced by a valid one which does allow you to work here.

NB: As soon as employment is taken up that option is permanently voided so, if you start one job and then you or your employer decide it doesn't suit you, you cannot apply for a second try and there is no way of being credited with any balance period for further job seeking.

For details please see the Act on the Residence, Economic Activity and Integration of Foreigners in the Federal Territory (Residence Act) and the AufenthV - Aufenthaltsverordnung : Residency Ordnance (German) Index for referred conditions and restrictions.

HTH

2B