birth control in germany?

35 posts in this topic

Hello :) 

I have a few questions about BC in germany...

1, I understand BC isn't covered by insurance in germany, so I'm curious how much people have to pay for whichever methods they use. I'm curious what's the most cost effective.

2, Do you need an OBGYN to prescribe BC, or can you get a primary doctor to prescribe it too?

3, are "mini-pills" (aka progestin only) also available in germany? I know fewer options are available here than the US

4, to get a BC prescription, are there any more hoops or obstacles you need to fill? or do you more or less just ask a doctor for a prescription, and you're on your way? (in some parts of the US there are weird things you need to prove before they give you anything)

Thanks!

you have to pay, I paid 60€ for 6 months of combined oral contraception 

I always got it from my hausartzt but every time they told me to go to the frauenartzt instead, but they never refused... they also never did any of the checks I was used to (weight, blood pressure etc).

Your Frauenarzt does the necessary checks. Your Hausarzt won't go between your legs. She/he will, however, check your weight and blood pressure if you ask.

On 1/11/2019, 3:46:48, dj_jay_smith said:

Abstention!

Not neccesarily.  But perhaps imaginative alternatives.

Try the biscuit tin (or Christmas Quality Street tin) method.

Get him to stand on the tin whilst making love and when his knees start to shake just kick the tin away.

On 11.1.2019, 14:57:03, ExPattheDog said:

Hello :) 

I have a few questions about BC in germany...

1, I understand BC isn't covered by insurance in germany, so I'm curious how much people have to pay for whichever methods they use. I'm curious what's the most cost effective.

2, Do you need an OBGYN to prescribe BC, or can you get a primary doctor to prescribe it too?

3, are "mini-pills" (aka progestin only) also available in germany? I know fewer options are available here than the US

4, to get a BC prescription, are there any more hoops or obstacles you need to fill? or do you more or less just ask a doctor for a prescription, and you're on your way? (in some parts of the US there are weird things you need to prove before they give you anything)

Thanks!

1- I pay €43 euro for my birth control pill prescription. It is a 6 month pack, so per year that costs me €86. It really depends on what brand you take. Some are cheaper than others, and there are generic brands or reimports that are cheaper than the original ones. I personally would prefer to pay a bit more and have the original not the reimport. Sometimes there are other ingredients, small ones like colouring for example which can effect you. It depends on the person of course.

Here is a link from Pro Familia. Of course prices may vary depending on which state you live in.

https://www.profamilia.de/fileadmin/landesverband/lv_nordrhein-westfalen/Verhuetung_-_Aktuelle_Preise_MAK_pro_familia_NRW_2018.pdf

2- Yes, you can only get the prescription fron an OBGYN(Frauenarzt). They can also tell you the different types of pills, cost etc. They will check your blood pressure and you have to fill in a form about health history etc...

3- Yes you can get mini pills here. One very good one is called Cerazette. Best is to get an appointment with an OBGYN who can give you professional advice.

4- To get a presciption you have to make an appointment with the OBGYN/Frauenarzt, they will check your blood pressure and you will need to fill a form out as well. It is just to check your health history etc...

They also may ask you to come for a smear test once a year and keep an eye on your health, which I see as being very positive.

Good luck!

And looking for a good doctor you can find on this website. Some doctors also speak English as well.

https://www.sanego.de/

2 hours ago, Anna66 said:

Yes, you can only get the prescription fron an OBGYN(Frauenarzt).

No. Any physician can give you a prescription.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

For the birth control pill you have to get one from the OBGYN/Frauenarzt in Germany.

In emergencies it is possible to get one from your GP/Hausarzt. However, you normally have to be registered with a OBGYN/Frauenarzt.

Holland/Netherlands have a much easier and better system. My friend said you just go to the OBGYN once, then choose a chemist then you can just keep getting repeat prescriptions, much easier and simpler.

2 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

In emergencies it is possible to get one from your GP/Hausarzt.

No, you can get a prescription from you GP.

1 minute ago, robinson100 said:

No, you can get a prescription from you GP.

Really? in my 20 years in Germany this has never been possible. You have to get one from the OBGYN in Germany. My Hausarzt/GP Refused to do it in Germany.

In the UK however, I did get it from the GP...but not in Germany.

My GP never had a problem giving me a prescription, from when I first came here in 1994...

2 minutes ago, robinson100 said:

My GP never had a problem giving me a prescription, from when I first came here in 1994...

Maybe the laws are different in each individual German State. I have never been able to get it from a GP here... unless in an absolute emergency.

Well the OP can always try I guess. I did and got the answer that I had to go to the Fraunarzt/OBGYN.

2 hours ago, jeba said:

You are in Greece? Oxi! You´re on Cyprus, oder?

:rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Maybe the laws are different in each individual German State.

- probably!

Since nobody has yet replied from the Berlin region, I would suggest the OP go to her GP and simply ask.

Just now, robinson100 said:

- probably!

Since nobody has yet replied from the Berlin region, I would suggest the OP go to her GP and simply ask.

Sounds like a good start! First question you get at the OBGYN/Frauenarzt is

"Who is your GP/Hausarzt?"

Always best to register there first anyhow! :D

5 minutes ago, Anna66 said:

Maybe the laws are different in each individual German State. I have never been able to get it from a GP here... unless in an absolute emergency.

Well the OP can always try I guess. I did and got the answer that I had to go to the Fraunarzt/OBGYN.

Intrusive old male here..

:D

Erm, how should I put it? You are using birth control and your moniker thingy says Anna66..so (assumption?) you are 52 or 53? ( I know, I know, I shouldn´t ask ) but,erm, you still ask the doc for birth control thingies?

(I´m probably in serious trouble now )..:D

Just now, john g. said:

Intrusive old male here..

:D

Erm, how should I put it? You are using birth control and your moniker thingy says Anna66..so (assumption?) you are 52 or 53? ( I know, I know, I shouldn´t ask ) but,erm, you still ask the doc for birth control thingies?

(I´m probably in serious trouble now )..:D

haha! No the number has nothing to do with my age.