Salary Range for IT Product Manager

18 posts in this topic

Do you have any idea about what can be a salary range for an IT Product Owner, medium or senior experience ?

I never was in that position, I don't know the related market.

Thanks

Deezz thanks for the links but I already knew those websites. Unfortunatel, at least for my profile, I always got erratic results.

I hoped to have some first hand feedback here.

48 minutes ago, Frantic said:

Deezz thanks for the links but I already knew those websites. Unfortunatel, at least for my profile, I always got erratic results.

I hoped to have some first hand feedback here.

From the people who have no idea what your profile looks like?

Over 80,000 in any case. The rest really depends on a lot of factors, such as sector, size of company, size of team, disciplinary role, etc. 

1 minute ago, Cammiede said:

From the people who have no idea what your profile looks like?

As stated I never have been a "product owner". I wished to have just a dry number according to the title of the position and the seniority level requested on the position.

Company is a kind of startup, around 150-200 employees, involved in SaaS business (they develop and sell their own products).

Said that, I am a technical profile (mix of development, architect and some times team lead) in SAP world, 11 years exp.

This position is not SAP related but several cross functional requirements match with my background. Let says that can be a kind of bridge to finally leave behind me the technical stuff. Problem is that at same time, especially in a city like Munich, I dont want make some steps back in term of salary (105k total package, included bonus and pension plan).

I’m sure you know all of this. With a startup it can go either way. They could want the best and be willing to pay for it or they could try to save money. Hard to say. I think 150-200 is already a mid-sized company though. If they can bill your hours to clients you can generally get more than the regular 9-5 inhouse employee. 

So if you’re on the product development side, as opposed to on-site implementation of the product, you can probably expect less. 

It’s all very, very difficult to say, as your search has shown. 

Sorry for the confusion but actually the position is "product manager" that in the SCRUM context, apparently, is "higher" than product owner.

9 hours ago, Frantic said:

Sorry for the confusion but actually the position is "product manager" that in the SCRUM context, apparently, is "higher" than product owner.

Do you actually know the huge difference between product manager and product owner?

They are not even on the same management level! Product Manager is already middle management.

Regarding salary, SAP usually pays well above average (>20%), so why are you leaving that field?

1 hour ago, MikeMelga said:

Do you actually know the huge difference between product manager and product owner?

They are not even on the same management level! Product Manager is already middle management.

I think I stated in my previous post (although for me are totally new positions) :)

Regarding salary, SAP usually pays well above average (>20%), so why are you leaving that field?

Because I am tired and bored of technical positions and I want to move to managerial position. At 40, if you are techy and you don't know German it is quite hard to move to SAP managerial positions.

I don't want at 50 still being in front of the monitor reading tons of detailed technical documentation to update me and accomplish tasks. Being stuck for ever in technical position starts to concern me. I like it but just as an hobby in my free time and using technologies and tools different from the one I use in SAP.

Also, all in all, I am also bored of the SAP stuff I do.

Said that I am a quite pragmatic person. Money matters too and Munich is where I decided to stay for ever (i am 40).

Although boring, I continue to perform 110% at work and it is not for me a tragedy the fact I don't like the current job. I never thought that work has to be necessary funny. I consider other activities funny.

39 minutes ago, Frantic said:

I think I stated in my previous post (although for me are totally new positions) :)

Because I am tired and bored of technical positions and I want to move to managerial position. At 40, if you are techy and you don't know German it is quite hard to move to SAP managerial positions.

If you plan to stay here for long term you should make the effort to learn some German, not only for your job but been able to speak German makes you life really much better.

39 minutes ago, Frantic said:

I don't want at 50 still being in front of the monitor reading tons of detailed technical documentation to update me and accomplish tasks. Being stuck for ever in technical position starts to concern me. I like it but just as an hobby in my free time and using technologies and tools different from the one I use in SAP.

Also, all in all, I am also bored of the SAP stuff I do.

The problem is that moving to a management position is not easier either, and might bring tons of stress.   And for long time you won't reach the real management positions, so you might have to start with just having the word "manager" in your title but nothing much really, except  more responsibilities and stress and maybe even instability.  And then you won't even make much more money than an experienced engineer/programmer.

Of course I am not saying it is a bad decision, everyone has to decide what they want with their lives, but you sound like you do not really know how it will be.  Not trying to offend of anything.

47 minutes ago, Krieg said:

If you plan to stay here for long term you should make the effort to learn some German, not only for your job but been able to speak German makes you life really much better.

Yes I know but it will not be a quick process (at least for me). After one year courses, I am currently B1 but it is not at all enough.

And the more time I stay in the techy position the less are the chance I can move to a managerial one.

The problem is that moving to a management position is not easier either, and might bring tons of stress.   And for long time you won't reach the real management positions, so you might have to start with just having the word "manager" in your title but nothing much really, except  more responsibilities and stress and maybe even instability.  And then you won't even make much more money than an experienced engineer/programmer.

Maybe Product Manager is not a "real" managerial position but according to the requirements for sure it is not a technical one (but in that case having a technical background will help).

Let me make clear that I know that being a manager is not a walk in the park. In my past experience more than one time I had to dress both the hats, developer and project manager, and they are of course 2 complete different full jobs. Doing both at the same time trying to perform 100% in both is a real mess. But I thank who put me in that situation (ok the company did it just for saving money :D  ) because at least I understood the value of a good manager and I am not that classical techy guy that thinks that manager are mostly a**holes enjoying life and preparing nice powerpoint presentations.

But believe me, maybe it is for the vanished passion for this stuff, study study study study in detail technical stuff to keep going your work starts to be an heavy task at a certain age. I would like to keep me informed but remaining at an technical overview level, this for sure will remain a must.

Of course I am not saying it is a bad decision, everyone has to decide what they want with their lives, but you sound like you do not really know how it will be.  Not trying to offend of anything.

Well, i would rather say that I know what I want but I admit that maybe, as we say in my country, I want "the wife drunken and the wine bottle full".

3 hours ago, MikeMelga said:

That is why I stopped replying. If you can confuse product manager with product owner, you shouldn’t be applying for either. 

36 minutes ago, Cammiede said:

That is why I stopped replying. If you can confuse product manager with product owner, you shouldn’t be applying for either. 

Although, I must admit it they would probably by perfectly qualified to be a product manager at my company!!

2 hours ago, Frantic said:

Although boring, I continue to perform 110% at work and it is not for me a tragedy the fact I don't like the current job. I never thought that work has to be necessary funny. I consider other activities funny.

This is English words with German grammar / usage... are you sure you don't speak German?

2 hours ago, Cammiede said:

1 hour ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Although, I must admit it they would probably by perfectly qualified to be a product manager at my company!!

Guys, please don't assume always that on a forum you have in front of you a total dumb. 

If I am evaluating that position it is because I read the complete description, I did my homework to better understand the role and I am confident I can do it (I am not just a "SAP-only" profile although SAP is my main field.). Then I was just asking some figures but also constructive opinions/criticism are really well welcome. 

The fact that I wrote "owner" instead of "manager" can just be a lapsus for me (thinking "A" but writing "B") and a detail in which to  get lost for someone else.

why don't you ask the startup what the salary range is?  different industries, different sized companies, different countries all pay different salaries for the same position.  but, you're applying at only one company and they have their own unique range and only they can answer your question with any useful value.

32 minutes ago, catjones said:

why don't you ask the startup what the salary range is?  different industries, different sized companies, different countries all pay different salaries for the same position.  but, you're applying at only one company and they have their own unique range and only they can answer your question with any useful value.

Because usually it works the other way round, at least according to my past experience.

They ask you what is my salary expectations...and this makes sense because, especially for "medior" or senior position, you should know your place on the market.

But, as I said, for me this position is almost totally new so I have a detailed idea about the salary. I am just trying to grab some info in order to provide a decent and realistic range, avoiding the risk to burn a chance.

23 hours ago, Frantic said:

They ask you what is my salary expectations...

You can reply with, "My current income is 100k.  How does that fit with your salary range?"