Abmeldung - how early?

7 posts in this topic

Does anyone know how long before moving you can do your abmeldung when leaving Germany?

My apartment contract officially expires in April, but I will move back to Sweden before that.

Thanks!

When your apartment contract officially ends does not matter.  You de-register just before you leave the country and not when the contract ends.  The Contract expiry is just a matter between you and your landlord.

Thanks for your responses!

But doesn't some service providers (Internet, phone etc.) require the abmeldung as a proof that I'm leaving the country? I have to wait to cancel this until the very end, then?

2 minutes ago, tjimm said:

Thanks for your responses!

But doesn't some service providers (Internet, phone etc.) require the abmeldung as a proof that I'm leaving the country? I have to wait to cancel this until the very end, then?

Don't forget your health insurance! That's probably the most important thing you must cancel.

I don't know how it works exactly but you could give notice already telling them that you'll send them the Abmedlung when it becomes available.

15 hours ago, tjimm said:

Yes.