Einbürgerung for Brits, yes or no?

14 posts in this topic

Hi there fellow Brits,

This is a Brexit / Einbürgerung question.

Are there any Brits out there who have no plans to leave D but also no plans to apply for German citizenship? Before the 'no deal' option became acute I hadn't considered becoming a German. However, now that the Brexiteers predominate (seemingly) I'm starting to get cold feet because I have no idea what the consequences might be if I don't have a German passport and I'm certainly not planning to return to the UK - for one thing it's not clear if dual citizenship will be possible once the deed is done.

Does anyone have any thoughts or, even better, insights on this?

AFAIK all applications before B-Day will be processed as an EU citizen even if they are approved after B-Day (so you get to keep your original citizenship).

After saying that, being a non-EU is not the end of the world, plenty of people have been living here like that without any big drama and once you reach NE status (permanent residency) there is no big difference with being a citizen except you can't vote.   Been there, done that, for 18 years and counting.

A Brit colleague of mine is married and settled her with a child, but she has resisted going the Citizenship route. 

I think that she is too proud a Brit to consider it!

4 hours ago, mgr said:

Are there any Brits out there who have no plans to leave D but also no plans to apply for German citizenship?

Me for example.

5 hours ago, mgr said:

Does anyone have any thoughts or, even better, insights on this?

I think that voting rights are an important point to consider. Once you loose your voting rights in the UK (currently 15 years) then who will hear your voice? 

18 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I think that voting rights are an important point to consider. Once you loose your voting rights in the UK (currently 15 years) then who will hear your voice? 

I lost my UK voting rights 20 years ago!

Here I am just allowed to vote for the local Bürgermeister(in) - the election is a waste of resources IMHO - and whether a rat-infested old building in the town center should be demolished or not (it was).  Maybe also European elections?

Anyhow - if I am no longer able to take part - at least its not my fault!

HEM, you really have lost touch with the mother country. Take a look at this:

As well as removing a time limit on the right to vote for UK citizens living abroad, the government intends to enfranchise any British expats who was previously resident or registered to vote in the UK. ... Combined, these changes will mean millions of UK citizens overseas will be eligible to register to vote.08.02.2018

FWIW you can now vote in old Blighty.

This also solves the non-vote problem Kommentarlos.

I have no plans to leave Germany any time soon, unless it simply becomes untenable to be here any longer. I don´t particularly want to become a German citizen, and certainly not relinquish my UK citizenship to do so. I would like to have permanent residency as I´ve been here longer than 5 years, but as a self-employed it may be problematic as I´ve currently no pension plan. who knows what will be offered? My wife is Venezuelan, she only just got residence here under EU spouse rules, and there are as yet no clarifications for family members if we went back to the UK permanently so now we are waiting to see how our position sits vis-a-vis deal or no deal Brexit. All in all, a complete pain in the arse. 

20 minutes ago, mgr said:
As well as removing a time limit on the right to vote for UK citizens living abroad, the government intends to enfranchise any British expats who was previously resident or registered to vote in the UK. ... Combined, these changes will mean millions of UK citizens overseas will be eligible to register to vote.

After the BREXIT vote took place of course!!!

5 hours ago, mgr said:

HEM, you really have lost touch with the mother country. Take a look at this:

As well as removing a time limit on the right to vote for UK citizens living abroad, the government intends to enfranchise any British expats who was previously resident or registered to vote in the UK. ... Combined, these changes will mean millions of UK citizens overseas will be eligible to register to vote.08.02.2018

This also solves the non-vote problem Kommentarlos.

Not quite yet.

It's not yet gone through parliament, though I think it's likely that it will.

8 hours ago, apel said:

Not quite yet.

It's not yet gone through parliament, though I think it's likely that it will.

I thought that is was not yet law, so thanks for answering my question before I even posted!  :) 

if you do at least apply for it now or before B-day, then you cannot do it later without losing your original citizenship ( for EU people).

yes, you will have no right to vote in national elections

also

if you leave Germany for more than so many months/years then you will have no right to come back ( as your Permanent Settlement Permit can run-out), except as applying as an almost newbie.- See all the rules https://www.muenchen.de/rathaus/home_en/Department-of-Public-Order/Foreigners-Office/Expiry-of-residence-permit.html

Although its work to do, it maybe be a good insurance policy against not being able to come back in un-foreseen circumstances.

23 hours ago, mgr said:

As well as removing a time limit on the right to vote for UK citizens living abroad, the government intends to enfranchise any British expats who was previously resident or registered to vote in the UK.

I think "intends" is the operative word here ... 

23 hours ago, HEM said:

After the BREXIT vote took place of course!!!

And presumably after the currently rumoured snap election of 4 April 2019. 

However, the government can only intend to do something for as long as it is in power. 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6572399/May-urged-stop-MPs-blocking-no-deal-Brexit-triggering-April-4-ELECTION.html

It remains to be seen at what point in the future the governing party (of whatever flavour - has Labour given an opinion on this?) thinks it is in their best strategic interest to include these voter groups.

According to the German embassy, even after Brexit you can apply for Beibehaltung to keep your UK citizenship. They made it sound as easy as child's play...

Mind you, that german embassy rep was a complete airhead ditz fielding questions on facebook, who nonchalantly may as well have said "chillax - you don't need to worry your pretty little head about work permits if you lose your job and need to switch employers "Germany is always needing workers".

I kid you not !