Residential districts of Bochum

2 posts in this topic

We are going to move to Bochum as my wife will be based in there, so we are trying to obtain some information about different districts of the city to make a better choice. 

In fact, we want to consider the areas which are nice but not crowded. However, we do not want to go to the suburban districts, mainly because we do not have a car yet. So, we like to have access to public transport regarding downtown and shopping facilities.

I've been generally advised to look for underpopulated districts where mostly older Germans live, especially to have higher chances for Kita and school places, but i'm not sure if that's the best advice. Also, i have no idea about the population distribution and the quality of living in the different districts of Bochum. :)

1 hour ago, bobMorane said:

In fact, we want to consider the areas which are nice but not crowded. However, we do not want to go to the suburban districts, mainly because we do not have a car yet.

"Nice, central, underpopulated" - you already know that Bochum is part of one of the most densely populated economic areas in Europe?

The "nice" quarters are - as in any other city - neither underpopulated nor predominantly inhabited by old people. 

In general, I would prefer the south in all the cities in the Ruhr area, whether Duisburg, Essen, Bochum or Dortmund. 

Spiegel lists Bochum-Ehrenfeld as a "hip" quarter, also on Immowelt Ehrenfeld ranks very high. And there is an evaluation of the Bochumer quarters after criteria such as unemployment, education, income and social, population, living, local part evaluation and local supply.

You give your location as "NRW", just go to Bochum and have a look around. Public transport is generally good, even in suburbs. Whereby in the Ruhr area and hardly visible is where one city ends and where the other begins.