Steuerberater for wannabe Freiberuflerin from UK - recommendations please!

12 posts in this topic

Hi all, 
I'm moving to Königstein in Feb to be with my husband who's been working here for 6 months and want to set up as a Freiberuflerin to continue the work I already do. I'm from the UK but have been living in the EU for over 20 years (foolishly never took citizenship), my spouse is an EU citizen. I'm going to need the advice of a Steuerberater to get started - anyone got any recommendations?

TIA :)

Rather than spam the forum with every single question you can think of.. why not discover the wonderful and educational "Search box" on the top right of the page?

Just sayin...

12 minutes ago, JessTK said:

I'm going to need the advice of a Steuerberater to get started

Actually you don't. The "setup" is really simple, just use Toytown as a knowledge store, start reading there: 

https://www.toytowngermany.com/wiki/Freelancing_in_Germany

If you have any questions, first use the forum search please - there is actually nothing that has not already been explained here (several times). 

16 minutes ago, SpiderPig said:

Rather than spam the forum with every single question you can think of.. why not discover the wonderful and educational "Search box" on the top right of the page?

Just sayin...

Actually I asked for recommendations for a Steuerberater in the area I'm going to be living in, not for whether or not I need one. I realise that I may not need one, but it'd be handy to have a couple of names/numbers on record in advance. (And yes, I have read up on freelancing and what I in theory need to do, but actually things are changing day by day with Brexit in the offing, and as you yourself said on my other thread, at the moment not many of us are qualified to say what will happen. So I'd like to have a go-to on the ground.)

12 minutes ago, JessTK said:

Actually I asked for recommendations for a Steuerberater in the area I'm going to be living in, not for whether or not I need one.

*sigh*

but actually things are changing day by day with Brexit in the offing, 

Nothing in the registration as a freelancer changes with the Brexit. But it's ok, I'm not trying to help you any further (and save a lot of money, if you have enough). 

3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

*sigh*

Nothing in the registration as a freelancer changes with the Brexit. But it's ok, I'm not trying to help you any further (and save a lot of money, if you have enough). 

3 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

*sigh*

Nothing in the registration as a freelancer changes with the Brexit. But it's ok, I'm not trying to help you any further (and save a lot of money, you have enough). 

But I wasn't taking exception to your help, thank you for it. I was taking exception to what SpiderPig said.

And we will need a Steuerberater sooner or later anyway because we have split-year incomes (part the year in Poland, part in DE), whether or not I decide I need to consult one straight away (though in the info you linked, which is great, and again, I thank you for it, does also recommend getting a Steuerberater). And lots of threads about Steuerberater also have information about cowboy ones, and are 10yrs+ out of date, therefore it would be cool to have some local, up-to-date info. That's all.

7 hours ago, JessTK said:

I asked for recommendations for a Steuerberater in the area I'm going to be living in

Where's Königstein ?

Snap1.jpg.575bf4a723405e2a370e6fccbc4cc4

40 minutes ago, DoubleDTown said:

Where's Königstein ?

It's where the folks with the highest disposable incomes in the Federal Republic of Germany can afford to live.

In 2017 Königstein im Taunus once again peaked the Kaufkraftindex (purchasing power index) for communal districts in the Bundesrepublic with a figure of 205,2% of the national average (according to the IHK Frankfurt am Main who I imagine reported that based on the official Destatis statistics).

It's a very nice place 24 Km NW of Frankfurt on the southern uphills of the nearby Altkönig and Großer Feldberg 'mountains' which is surrounded to the north and west by woods, like its neighbour town Kronberg im Taunus full of lovely villas, famous architecturally unique homes and some beatifully landscaped parks, with excellent infrastructure, a near unavoidable historic antique town centre and absolute murder to navigate with a truck.

2B

2 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

It's where the folks with the highest disposable incomes in the Federal Republic of Germany can afford to live.

In 2017 Königstein im Taunus once again peaked the Kaufkraftindex (purchasing power index) for communal districts in the Bundesrepublic with a figure of 205,2% of the national average (according to the IHK Frankfurt am Main who I imagine reported that based on the official Destatis statistics).

It's a very nice place 24 Km NW of Frankfurt on the southern uphills of the nearby Altkönig and Großer Feldberg 'mountains' which is surrounded to the north and west by woods, like its neighbour town Kronberg im Taunus full of lovely villas, famous architecturally unique homes and some beatifully landscaped parks, with excellent infrastructure, a near unavoidable historic antique town centre and absolute murder to navigate with a truck.

2B

Oh shit, I hope there's an Aldi nearby... It just happened to be the only flat we found where the owner said "Dogs welcome" rather than the usual "Nach Vereinbarung" through gritted teeth :D And only wanted 2 mths Kaution rather than 3 :)

1 hour ago, JessTK said:

I hope there's an Aldi nearby

There is an Aldi in Königstein, and others within a few Kms in Kronberg, Schwalbach and Glasshütten as well which means you'll have much easier access to Aldis than the inhabitants of many towns in Germany with populations of 16500 do. Late afternoons you'll find all their parking spaces taken up by commuting bankers though!;)

There's also well sorted REWE in the town where you can find a wider selection of groceries.

2B