Tips on buying a washing machine?

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

Whats all that about?

Emkay actually posted on a current and active thread about Washing machines...  ALL the info is there... 

All I did was ask if she had actually read the info that was already posted for her to read... 

No, the information wasn't 'ALL' there.  If it were, I wouldn't have posted. I have now gotten all the advice I need from 2 independent expert technical advisors whom we trust. Off to Saturn later today.

10 hours ago, emkay said:

No, the information wasn't 'ALL' there.  If it were, I wouldn't have posted. I have now gotten all the advice I need from 2 independent expert technical advisors whom we trust. Off to Saturn later today.

Excellent idea to get the relevant information from real experts.

Best advice I can give is to buy a machine with 1200 or more spin speed, as it will dry clothes better.

Miele machines are very expensive to repair.  Good machines but if something goes parts are expensive.

Bosch and Siemens are mainly all made in Poland now.  Ones with the round circles on side panels have better sound insulation.

I have a German made AEG Lavamatt machine.  Superb machine.  I think AEG's are now being made in Poland also.  AEG was taken over by Electrolux, so AEG, Zanussi, Electrolux machines all similar.

Samsung can be made in Poland or even China.  I would avoid them for that reason.

Beko made in Turkey.

I also have a "gay" washing machine: a Fagor.  Made by a co-operative in Spain.  Good machine.

Measure ALL your doors into the building and the room for the machine to make sure you can get it in. I went for the large capacity 12Kg Bauknecht  which is also Whirlpool so you can go on the UK site and read up on them. I would also go online to Saturn.de and use the compare and contrast function with google translate. If you are just going to be here for a few years and do not want to spend a lot of money, you can get some great floor deals at Saturn. Check out some of the no big name brands. I bought a little washer one year for around 200 Euros. Worked great, noisy pump and spin, it had a short after 5 years and so I replaced it. Cheaper to replace than to repair here. Feel the inside of the drum to make sure it is smooth and will not ruin the edges on your clothes! Go to Meile and check out their best machine. You will know what I am referring to about a smooth drum.  I like to wash my blankets and comforters often so I bought a larger 12 Kg machine for that. The spin is important, Bauknecht is not the best/ fastest for that but more than adequate. I never use my dryer and hang my clothing in the burner room and it is dry the next day.If you are going to hang your clothes to dry in the house consider the humidity this causes and go for that really good and costly extra fast spin.  I would have gotten a good washer/dryer all in one, but I think they work better with a small capacity.   I found those small capacity machines really irritating and time consuming and the laundry never gets done. Samsung has a door to open for adding things after the wash has started but it may not fit through the house doors. It is just a bit bigger than the older standard door size. 

On 12/27/2018, 10:01:52, stevezap said:

I also found https://www.ao.de/

I have had good experiences with ao.de for both the purchase and delivery of a washing machine and a fridge freezer. Competitive prices and a very user friendly delivery model. Deliveries both in the big smoke and in the sticks were not just competent, professional and punctual but also cheerful with employees bringing a good attitude. 

I am often disappointed with what is on offer at Saturn/Media Markt. Many "special offers" do not seem particularly special on closer inspection/comparison and a newer model of the same product can be found for cheeper elsewhere. 

Apparently, it's surprising how many washing machine users are unaware that their machine isn't heating to the required temperature or at all.  Modern detergents do a great job of cleaning to optical standards at low/zero temperature. Items such as underwear and socks however, aren't hygienically washed under 60 degrees Celsius. Not washing at that minimum temperature can lead to urological problems, especially for women and, persistent foot fungal problems. 

I wash at a lower temp than 60°C and nothing happened to me nothing happened to me nothing happened to me nothing happened to me... :P

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Not washing at that minimum temperature can lead to urological problems, especially for women and, persistent foot fungal problems. 

Now I cant get Wool willy warmer pictures out of my mind! :wacko:

1 hour ago, emkay said:

Apparently, it's surprising how many washing machine users are unaware that their machine isn't heating to the required temperature or at all.  Modern detergents do a great job of cleaning to optical standards at low/zero temperature. Items such as underwear and socks however, aren't hygienically washed under 60 degrees Celsius. Not washing at that minimum temperature can lead to urological problems, especially for women and, persistent foot fungal problems. 

That is very true. if however the cloth isn't suited then this is a good alternative solution :

https://www.sagrotan.de/unsere-produkte/alle-produkte/sagrotan-waesche-hygienespueler-frisch/

(we also use it for socks even at 60)

On 03/01/2019, 21:51:48, Futura123 said:

.If you are going to hang your clothes to dry in the house consider the humidity this causes and go for that really good and costly extra fast spin. 

In houses that are overheated, hermetically sealed to the outside elements and the air too dry hanging out your washing is an excellent way of increasing room humidity. My stuff gets hung out at the top of the stairs and is dry in an evening in winter. Underfloor heating.

2 hours ago, emkay said:

Problem is some laundry can only be washed at maximum 40 degrees celsius.

For my white clothes, I use Dr Beckmanns Hygiene Weiss (see link)

https://www.dr-beckmann.de/waeschepflege/weisser/hygiene-weiss/

It is great stuff, cleans and smells fantastic afterwards.

For my dark/black and coloured clothes I use impresan hygiene spüler with the softner to help disinfect it. Seems to work ok. (see link). They also have other products too.

https://www.impresan.de/produkte/impresan-hygienespueler-universal/

I only wash towels and bedclothes at 60. Hand towels and dishcloths I wash at 90 degrees centigrade.

1 hour ago, space said:

I wash at a lower temp than 60°C and nothing happened to me nothing happened to me nothing happened to me nothing happened to me... :P

Oh, @space, I think that so many of us would wish that we could share your amazing experiences...forget washing clothing altogether!  Take care and tell us more...  :)

1 hour ago, Alexnf said:

That is very true. if however the cloth isn't suited then this is a good alternative solution :

https://www.sagrotan.de/unsere-produkte/alle-produkte/sagrotan-waesche-hygienespueler-frisch/

(we also use it for socks even at 60)

Both Netto and Lidl stock hygienespueler also (not sure about Aldi) ..the aroma of the one from Lidl is a little bit over-powering but the Netto one is fine imo.

I would recommend Hoover, I had 2, both have lasted more than 20 years each, the 2nd one had a dryer included

They are easy to repair yourself and the repacement parts are cheap

They seem to be about half the price of a meile, so you can buy 2 of the machines for the price of one meile.

they come with energy efficient of A+++. 

All in All not bad,

On 1/7/2019, 5:24:51, optimista said:

In houses that are overheated, hermetically sealed to the outside elements and the air too dry hanging out your washing is an excellent way of increasing room humidity. My stuff gets hung out at the top of the stairs and is dry in an evening in winter. Underfloor heating.

Hi Optimista, I had an apartment years ago in another country with floor heating. I  really liked the way that heating dried everything up quickly in the bathrooms. Never had to worry about cold feet but my friend thought her Shepard dogs did not like that type of heating because it was too hot.   Some years back, I remember reading about humidifiers and why tap water was not good to put into them because of the bacteria levels in some countries. Overtime they become contaminated with colonizing bacteria.  Now of course here in Germany the water is very clean, although in some places mineral hard, which can also be an issue.  When washing clothes there is a considerable amount of bacteria left on them as well as chemicals from the detergent and softeners. Maybe a concern for infants and pets. Not all fabrics are able to withstand the wonderful new steaming processes for elimination of bacteria. I think most people use 40C-50C. Your lungs are filtering all that evaporates as well as the mold spores that multiplying in a warm humid environment. It may not bother you now, but over time or if you are sick with a URI, or have allergies it may. Wet laundry is not a good source for humidifying the apartment. Humidifiers should be well maintained and kept very clean as they can become a source of colonizing bacteria which is then disseminated through your living space in a fine mist of humidity.     When you hang your wet laundry in the house, check the window glass and see if your are getting condensation in some areas. Those areas should be ventilated so the humidity can go out. Too much humidity will damage the wall paper and discolor the paint over time. As a homeowner I really want to avoid having to renovate, it is so expensive to do that here.  I have had this house for over 35 years so over time I can really see the cause and effect of daily living on our house.   I have an older house with mahogany window frames and I am very careful to vent the rooms where humidity pools. If I were you I would probably use one room to dry the clothes, close the door to the rest of the house and keep that room vented. Keep in mind that when you open a window in the winter with the heating on, you lose your energy efficiency rating in those modern insulated techno homes. I keep my heat low and wear a few layers to avoid the dry air problem. I put in the newer heating room elements some years back and turn the heat down if it is too dry.  The room where I have my ancient, but still efficient burner is always vented so It is great for drying clothes. The burner it self is indestructible and not so sensitive as the newer ones but the electronics may over time have a problem.  Manufactures always write not to dry clothes in  the heating/burner room. Humidity and smart products...ask Alexa! lol