Tips on buying a washing machine?

36 posts in this topic

Hi everyone.

The apartment we will be moving into has all the outlets for a clothes washing machine, but we need to buy the machine ourselves.

I've never had to buy one before. Living in London, all of the places I lived in came with everything including furniture.

- Is there a place I can reliably order a washing machine and have it fitted?

- What should I look for in a model? Other than not the cheapest/basic and within my budget.

On 7/1/2013, 7:13:55, sarabyrd said:

Thank you for joining Toytown Germany, a forum that answers a plethora of questions any ex-pat might have. The Search function (top right of your monitor) is invaluable for finding such questions and answers. Do not hesitate to use it, make yourself familiar with the other features of the forum, enjoy your stay in Germany.

I stumbled on this post and have been itching to quote it. Thank you for the opportunity, OP. :)

Depends on your budget, whether you want  dryer and washer.

You can google test reports online of washing machines.

We bought our pair of AEG from Karstadt, and had them deliver and install it. Make sure you get right connections.

Just now, RedMidge said:

You can google test reports online of washing machines.

Good suggestion. You will get conflicting opinions here. For example, we bought a top of the line AEG Waschtrockner some years ago and it was crap from day one. They had to replace the electronics, door, etc. It ate whole houseshoes. We replaced it with a Miele and have had it for over 15 yrs. now with no problems.

We had a Beko (it was around 500€) for the last five years. Increasingly heavier useage because of new arrivals. It had nothing fancy like a touchpad so reliable. We had to replace the motor's brushes twice and the rubber seal tore (I was able to repair the seal myself) during this time.

Was replaced with an entry level Miele this year. Bought in Saturn. Took around 5 days to get delivered.

The quality of the Beko wash was good but you see a noticeable improvement with the Miele (honestly). Six months old. One problem so far: the touchpad needed replacing nearly straight away (one plus point for the beko). The miele call out guy said it was his first touch pad failure ever - he bagged the part to be sent to their QA Dept.

We had to buy a steel pedestal for miele because it is a lot heavier than the beko and could not be mounted on the DIY block pedestal that the previous owner had used. Beko had been a lot lighter.

We talked to a couple of washing machine guys - basically the mid range machines are all using similar parts and there is nothing majorly different between brands. Miele is a step up in quality but you can still be unlucky. 

Last point - any fault caused by something external like a coin or sand is not covered by your standard warranty.

7 hours ago, stevezap said:

Hi everyone.

The apartment we will be moving into has all the outlets for a clothes washing machine, but we need to buy the machine ourselves.

I've never had to buy one before. Living in London, all of the places I lived in came with everything including furniture.

- Is there a place I can reliably order a washing machine and have it fitted?

- What should I look for in a model? Other than not the cheapest/basic and within my budget.

Media Markt and Saturn are two shops who offer delivery and fitting. Their prices are also ok. You can order online or go into your local store to order.

https://www.mediamarkt.de/de/category/_waschmaschinen-459521.html

https://www.saturn.de/de/category/_waschmaschinen-475965.html

I used to have a bauknecht washer but the bloody thing only lasted just over 19 years and I had to replace it this year.

My new one is a Siemens which cost €480 (incl. fitting and removal of old one) at Media Markt and I'm happy with it so far.

Three things to look for are load size (how much do you expect to wash at any one time?), energy efficiency and buy one with a water stop feature. The water stop feature means it will stop pumping water in the case of any leaks / burst pipes ... etc -ish.

You guys have all the fun... 

I brought my Zanussi with me from the UK.. its now over 20yrs old... 

just one failed water pump that cost 12€ from ebay.. 500 or so clogged filters... 

Once a year its run with a couple of cycles with Chalk/lime/Kalk remover and she still steams onwards and upwards!

However, It did cost 760 GBP  which at the time was 2 mortgage payments... but money well spent!

So, buy cheap and expect problems.. if you dont get problems... be happy... 

8 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Good suggestion. You will get conflicting opinions here. For example, we bought a top of the line AEG Waschtrockner some years ago and it was crap from day one. They had to replace the electronics, door, etc. It ate whole houseshoes. We replaced it with a Miele and have had it for over 15 yrs. now with no problems.

Not sure what has happened to AEG, it used to be a good name but certainly the vacuum cleaner I bought from them had crap reliability and on top of that was clearly not designed for use by anyone over 5 ft tall and with power outlets more than 6 ft apart, total rubbish! Miele is the way to go if you can afford it, Bosch/Siemens if you can't.

AEG went bancrupt 20 years or so. Like Dual, Grundig and other Germany companies, it's only the name that other companies like e.g. Whirlpool bought.

I think Bosch and Siemens come from the same factory?

When our old Bauknecht failed, we bought a "cheap" Miele, They have two lines, a cheaper one 700-900€ and a more expensive one.

What the guy told us, that the Miele is the only one with steel housing. All other now have plastic internals.

Since I am a fan of stainless steel, we bought a Miele for 900€ or so.

7 hours ago, Malt-Teaser said:

I used to have a bauknecht washer but the bloody thing only lasted just over 19 years and I had to replace it this year.

19 years?  They don't last more than 10 in our house (but are running about every second day).

We actually have 2 washing machines plus a dryer & even now with 3 adults in the household instead of 2 adults + 2 children we find is very helpful to have two (also when one breaks we're not completely stuck).  We just replaced a Bosch that lasted 10 years with another Bosch.

5 hours ago, AnswerToLife42 said:

When our old Bauknecht failed, we bought a "cheap" Miele,

This is how we initially came to have two washing machines.  Shortly after moving into our house my wife's old machine broke.  "The replacement must be a Miele" she said.  "They are very quiet" she said.  So we got one.  True - it was quiet - it refused to spin!  Dead on Arrival.  It took 6 weeks for Miele to obtain a replacement controller & come & fit it - in meanwhile I had repaired the old machine (they were a lot simpler in those days) and so we had two machines - which continues to this day.

The Miele didn't last especially long either.

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

did you actually read the thread?

Always a pleasure when you pounce on my questions with distain.  Never mind, I'd rather ask elsewhere. Our washing machine is the least of our concerns right now.

14 hours ago, Metall said:

What a nice, kind, helpful guy...

not.

Whats all that about?

Emkay actually posted on a current and active thread about Washing machines...  ALL the info is there... 

All I did was ask if she had actually read the info that was already posted for her to read....