Help Needed Before We Move to Hamburg

26 posts in this topic

Hi, all. My husband and I are planning a move to Germany in late Spring/early Summer 2019, due to a work transfer. We are in our mid-30s, no kids, but we have two small dogs. He will be working in Lubeck, but I will (most likely) be working in Hamburg. We are thinking somewhere on the West side of Hamburg would be best, due to the proximity to the 1, which he will be taking to work everyday. We will only have 1 car, so I need to be close to public transit so I can work in the city. Ideally, we'd like to be less than an hour drive to Lubeck.

Does anyone have any suggestions to help us narrow down our search area? How hard will it be to find pet friendly housing?

Since it's just the two of us, we don't need much from the apartment. We could do with a studio, or a one bedroom, but we'd love to have space - even just a pull out couch - for guests. We would also need it mostly furnished and ideally, with 1 parking spot. And obviously, we would need somewhere that accepts pets.

Anyone have any idea of a range of what our budget should be for rent? Any suggestions on finding an apartment? His company does offer assistance through realtors so we will probably just use them. Any help would be appeciated as we begin this big move!

... welcome to Germany folks...

Was wondering if you would like to think about living in Luebeck. Apartments bit easier and cheaper to find. And Luebeck is really a nice city! 

I would have thought that since Lübeck is to the North-East of Hamburg you'd be looking at the East side of Hamburg rather than the West.

Though the West side of Hamburg is probably considered to be more desirable (& thus more expensive).

8 minutes ago, HEM said:

I would have thought that since Lübeck is to the North-East of Hamburg you'd be looking at the East side of Hamburg rather than the West.

Though the West side of Hamburg is probably considered to be more desirable (& thus more expensive).

HEM, You're absolutely right. I wrote that in too much haste. I meant "East Side" of Hamburg, or at least more central. My husband just doesn't want to have to drive straight through the center of Hamburg every morning.

15 minutes ago, kapil354 said:

... welcome to Germany folks...

Was wondering if you would like to think about living in Luebeck. Apartments bit easier and cheaper to find. And Luebeck is really a nice city! 

Thank you!
We are going to look in Luebeck as well. I just thought it may be easier for me to work in a larger city. I also like city life a little more than suburbia, but it isn't totally out of the question. We are coming over in February to check out housing options. We are probably going to look in/around EASTERN (Correction to my above post) Hamburg, Luebeck and around the Baltic Coast as well.

Love living up here on the Baltic, and easy to get from Luebeck/Travemuende  etc onto 75 and then 1 to Hamburg. Many commute by car/train.

Prices up here can be high- this is the holiday/ beach area. But a small flat should be easy to find. 

Might be best to find  a place midway- share the commute!

Use the relocation help offered,  makes life easier. Pet friendly? Well, lots of much loved pets around, but whether many landlords want them is another matter!

Check the Immo websites, local papers ( Luebecker Nachtrichten), for flats.

Good luck!

On 12/24/2018, 4:04:03, RedMidge said:

Love living up here on the Baltic, and easy to get from Luebeck/Travemuende  etc onto 75 and then 1 to Hamburg. Many commute by car/train.

Prices up here can be high- this is the holiday/ beach area. But a small flat should be easy to find. 

Might be best to find  a place midway- share the commute!

Use the relocation help offered,  makes life easier. Pet friendly? Well, lots of much loved pets around, but whether many landlords want them is another matter!

Check the Immo websites, local papers ( Luebecker Nachtrichten), for flats.

Good luck!

Thanks, RedMidge. We will definitely be taking the assistance. I think we will probably take a day to look around Eastern Hamburg, and a day to look at Luebeck. If time allows on our upcoming "Planning Visit" we will look around the Baltic as well.

Since we'll be looking at places when there in February, do you think it will be too early to sign a lease for move in around April/May?

You could live in Lubeck and take the non stop train from Lubeck to Hamburg about 45 min. I think it might be nicer there. Lower living costs. 

On Mittwoch, 26. Dezember 2018, AshleyReinhart said:

Since we'll be looking at places when there in February, do you think it will be too early to sign a lease for move in around April/May?

On the contrary, in areas of HH which are stressed by higher demand, it may be too late.

Most leases in Germany require tenants to give 3 months notice prior to vacating the premises so ads for premises being posted in January and February as available will be from landlords seeking secure tenants to sign leases effective from April or May at the earliest.

2B

On 26.12.2018, 19:04:15, AshleyReinhart said:

Thanks, RedMidge. We will definitely be taking the assistance. I think we will probably take a day to look around Eastern Hamburg, and a day to look at Luebeck.

I am not sure that one day will suffice to be able to look around & sum up the pros & cons of Hamburg!

8 hours ago, HEM said:

I am not sure that one day will suffice to be able to look around & sum up the pros & cons of Hamburg!

We'll be in Germany for over a week to check out the areas in general. I meant with a realtor looking specifically at flats.

1 hour ago, AshleyReinhart said:

I meant with a realtor looking specifically at flats.

Hah!

You need to learn about realtors in Germany, please read this entire thread (click on the blue title, it will take you to the thread):

You will need to do your own research into properties- contact the realtor( always an enail/ phone in ad), and try and set up a viewing. 

Good luck with finding a US style realtor!

Thanks PandaMunich, I'll check that out. Obviously I've never done this process before so help is appreciated.

RedMidge, I am going to follow up with my husband's company. They have an agency to help ex-pats find housing. I'm hoping they will be helpful. We have a call next week. 🤞

On 24/12/2018, 21:00:34, AshleyReinhart said:

but we have two small dogs. 

One thing you might want to consider is that in order to let your dogs run freely (allocated parks etc) in Hamburg, both you and your husband along with your dogs will have to do a course/obedience test in order to obtain a hundeführerschein/dog licence.

I couldn't find it in English but here's a link in German anyway.

Link

You are not required to do this test in Lübeck.

Regardless of where you live, you will also need to register your dogs and pay a dog tax/hundesteuer every year, cost varies according to size, breed and gets more expensive with multiple dog ownership.

In addition you will also need Third Party Liability insurance/Hundehaftpflicht which is not a choice it is a legal requirement. 

As others have said make sure the landlord allows pets, some contracts have restrictions and allow only 1 dog so do your homework.

8 hours ago, Sir Percy B said:

In addition you will also need Third Party Liability insurance/Hundehaftpflicht which is not a choice it is a legal requirement.

FYI ours costs 79 Euros per year for a single dog.

On 12/29/2018, 4:52:37, HEM said:

FYI ours costs 79 Euros per year for a single dog.

How big is your dog? I'm pretty sure I pay less than 50.

On 12/29/2018, 1:55:30, Sir Percy B said:

I'll have to do some research into this. We've got two < 20lb-ers.

I pay 84 EUR per year for a Cockapoo (small poodle size) but that’s in NRW, I don’t know if Hamburg prices are different