Legal Streaming Sites Suggestions for Huge TV/Movie Fan?

8 posts in this topic

Hello!

I have been living in Germany for a bit, and I used to always us *cough* dodgy *cough* streaming sites because I am a huge TV/Movie fan. Hearing that they a tightening the law on streaming being a grey area I deicded to go for the legal route. I have picked Netflix as my first streaming site, however I wouldn't mind a secondary alternative. Which leads to quite a few questions.

1) What other site would you recommend that has a varity of good choices for somebody who watches all types of movies and shows in English of course but I would be keen on subtitles of other languages are involved.

2) I am really interested in Hulu but the "Only in the US" thing gets to me. Does anybody us it here whilst living in Germany?

3) How... Legal... Is... VPN on a stream site restricted to certain countries and how much of a risk would it be?

4) I hear that Amazon Prime is a good alternative but because of it only posting German only titles, what do you think about it and the interface as somebody who will be sharing their streaming account?

Love to hear back from anybody who has a two cent. Thanks if you do!

11 hours ago, elliebeans said:

2) I am really interested in Hulu but the "Only in the US" thing gets to me. Does anybody us it here whilst living in Germany?

I used Hulu in Germany for a month or so. With VPN it wasn't a problem. I used an American card to order it--I am not sure if German cards would work. For me, Netflix was enough so I didn't really watch Hulu and I just cancelled it.

3) How... Legal... Is... VPN on a stream site restricted to certain countries and how much of a risk would it be?

VPN is legal in Germany. There's also nothing illegal about watching content destined for other countries.

4) I hear that Amazon Prime is a good alternative but because of it only posting German only titles, what do you think about it and the interface as somebody who will be sharing their streaming account?

Amazon Prime offers plenty of English material.    The interface is not the best because it is Prime Video which includes Amazon Prime, renting and buying titles.   So you have to pay attention what you click on otherwise you might end up buying titles, but it is not displayed in a mean way to make you make a mistake, all the Prime items are clearly marked so you can recognize them and the paid items will display their clearly their price.    The interface is clunky but so is with every other streaming service.

Something I find really good about streaming services here is that there is a new EU law saying that at least 30% of their titles must be made in EU.  So they are right now working in making new series and movies in the EU and they make it available to the whole EU.  That's the reason Netflix has the new EU-OV row in their service.

VPN's are not illegal.  And streaming geo-blocked material is not illegal.  You are just breaking the TOS.

Down in B_W you could get a UK Sky satellite system and subscription...  Add a UK VPN to the service and you are  fully covered... 

An email to Bavaria Satellites could see you up and running within a few days...

Itsexpensive.. but it wont land you in hot water due to internet related activity..

Hello everybody, my apologise for never replying. Thank you to everybody who responded. This has been really helpful.

@fraufruit, sorry about that. I searched a bit but couldn't find the answer to my most important question. I hope I didn't cause any trouble?

I have currently settled for Netflix and Amazon Prime, finding my self pretty pleased for now. I admit, my love for TV Shows/Movies makes me just want it all. But yes, the Amazon Prime interface is not the best and I just found out that some shows despite being English are only in a German dub. Which is strange. But so far there are no big complains.

I did not think as far as to Hulu only accepting an American credit card. Bugger. I guess I will think about that should I ever consider using a VPN and getting Hulu. Is there any particular VPN that you guys would recommend? Something inexpensive but still good for streaming.

If I am correct to understand, the new EU lay means that it doesn't matter where you live, you can see the same content as long as you are in an EU country?

I watch everything online and do not have a TV, so I just wanted to make sure a VPN is completely legal. Knowing how serious Germany is and really do not want to get in trouble. I love British TV, does anybody know the best streaming sites/add ons for shows like English talk shows or BBC shows?

Thanks again for taking time to answer my million questions!

tvmucho.com ist a registered,legal UK TV streaming site (they say)

Costs about 10€ a month for all Freeview channels and 7 day catchup