Terminate car insurance because I moved abroad

26 posts in this topic

I left Germany permanently and brought my car with me, I am in the process of registering the car in Italy, so I will need an Italian insurance, however my German insurance, AllSecur, doesn’t want to cancel the contract until the end of 2019, saying that the contract renews automatically and I should have told them I was leaving months ago.

This creates quite a problem, as I will need my risk assessment certificate to open my new Italian insurance, or I will pay much more than I should, but AllSecur won’t release that until after the end of the contract, they also want money for one more year of insurance I won’t actually be using.

Moreover, AllSecur states that you can only have one insurance at a time anyway and that I should cancel any new insurance I might have opened (I still haven’t, as the vehicle registration process in Italy is long and will take still at least one more month anyway, but that might be a problem when I will).

Any suggestion on what to do? I’ve read that there is a extraurdinary clausole for terminating contracts while leaving Germany but haven’t found anything relevant so far.

If you are no longer in Germany, or no longer able to go to Germany, then:

1. Identify a person located in the German town you lived in
  2. Confirm this person is willing to throw away a few hours waiting in public office for you (ie it will probably have to be a good friend or someone you pay)
  3. Book an appointment at the local Bürgeramt or Zulassungsstelle with the purpose of de-registering a car (Kfz außer Betrieb setzen)
  4. Write an official looking 'Vollmacht' letter including this person's name, and stating they are authorized to complete the car de-registration transaction on your behalf
  5. Give this person a copy of your German Personalausweis (front and back) or passport and Anmeldebescheinigung
  6. Give the person the originals of the following: Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil I, Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II, Original Sales Contract from when you purchased the car, and front and back license plates
  7. Tell this person to go the local Bürgeramt or Zulassungsstelle where you booked the appointment and bring all of the documents and the license plates with them, as well as their own Personalausweis or passport
  8. When they have successfully de-registered the car, the insurance company should be automatically notified by the authorities, but to be sure, contact your insurance company and show them proof you de-registered the car (it will state this on the Zulassungsbescheinigung Teil II)
  9. Your insurance company should then reimburse you for the pro-rated amount for that year. For example, if you pay the full amount on 01 Jan 2019 and de-register on 01 Feb 2019, you should be reimbursed for 01 Feb to 31 Dec 2019.

Good luck!

Thanks, actually I'm in Berlin for a few days this week and have already booked an appointment for Wednesday, hopefully that will be enough. I'll write here the results when I have any.

Well, it worked. Partly.

I deregistered the car in Berlin on the 20th and wrote them telling them to terminate the contract, just got an answer saying that they received word from the authorities that my car is no longer registered and they are even giving back some 20€ left from this year's plan, as Brockman wrote.

The bad news is that they totally ignored my request of having my risk assessment document (what's the exact name in german, by the way?) and wrote that if I register the car again in the next 18 months I must insure it with them. And of course even if I wanted to do that it is not possible, as I am going to register it in Italy now. Argh! Now wondering on what to write them to have that document so I can go ahead with the Italian insurance…

You could ask them for a document stating that you did not have an accident while you were insured with them but I don't know if they are obligated to give it to you or to give you a risk assessment document of any kind.  

37 minutes ago, jackoverfull said:

The bad news is that they totally ignored my request of having my risk assessment document (what's the exact name in german, by the way?)

It's not a "risk assessment", the insurance doesn't assess your future risk.

You will need to ask for a 'Bestätigung der Schadenfreiheitsklasse'. 

and wrote that if I register the car again in the next 18 months I must insure it with them.

This refers to an admission in Germany; I am sure that this is also the case in the documents you have received. 

1 hour ago, someonesdaughter said:

It's not a "risk assessment", the insurance doesn't assess your future risk.

You will need to ask for a 'Bestätigung der Schadenfreiheitsklasse'. 

Thanks, that's exactly the term I was looking for.

This refers to an admission in Germany; I am sure that this is also the case in the documents you have received. 

I'm sure that would make a lot of sense. I wish they stopped ignoring the fact I'm not in germany any longer.

Writing them again, thanks for the answers.

10 minutes ago, jackoverfull said:

I'm sure that would make a lot of sense. I wish they stopped ignoring the fact I'm not in germany any longer.

They don't do that, 

just got an answer saying that they received word from the authorities that my car is no longer registered and they are even giving back some 20€ left from this year's plan

obvioulsy. 

The fact that they inform you that the vehicle must be insured with them again if it is re-registered in Germany is simply a standard text that refers to the legal situation.

You wouldn't be the first to believe that you can get out of an insurance policy by unsubscribing and re-registering ... 

20 minutes ago, someonesdaughter said:

They don't do that, 

Seems they do, as they continue sending everithing at my old german address, which I've abmelded out of one month ago tomorrow, and ignored the past two times i've sent them my Italian address.

The fact that they inform you that the vehicle must be insured with them again if it is re-registered in Germany is simply a standard text that refers to the legal situation.

There is no mention of the word 'Germany" everywere in their letter. Also, I've made clear multiple time I don't live there anymore and want to register the car in Italy, but I've been answered the I must insure with them. Of course they didn't answer when I asked if they provide service in Italy…

You wouldn't be the first to believe that you can get out of an insurance policy by unsubscribing and re-registering ... 

That makes sense, but not my case.

Update with very little to update: they still haven't answered my requests to have my "Bestätigung der Schadenfreiheitsklasse".

Suggestions?

12 minutes ago, jackoverfull said:

Update with very little to update: they still haven't answered my requests to have my "Bestätigung der Schadenfreiheitsklasse".

Suggestions?

What about giving them a call?

No and it wasn't for them when I insured the car in germany: it's a separate document and they wanted the *original*. The Italian insurance will PROBABLY accept even a copy.

Are you sure that the Schadenfreiheitsklasse isn't on your bill or your policy? It appears on both of mine, together with the Regionalklasse. The Schadenfreiheitsklasse is abbreviated SFK - maybe you've overlooked it.

If your insurance policy or bill really don't contain that information, can you make it clear to the Italian insurance company that information about your no-claims bonus category will be forthcoming? They might have to charge you the full price until they receive it, but should adjust it after your crappy German insurance company finally gets in gear.

As a last resort, you could also contact a Versicherungsombudsmann and see if they can expedite things.

Thanks. I have the information from them but it's not on the form they themselves were requesting back in 2015. I'll consult with the Italian insurer (still going to take a few weeks before I have plates...Registration in Italy takes five weeks) and see if it's enough.

6 hours ago, jackoverfull said:

..Registration in Italy takes five weeks)

And I thought the 90 min I once had to wait in Würzburg were outrageous.

15 minutes ago, jeba said:

And I thought the 90 min I once had to wait in Würzburg were outrageous.

Yeah, the bureaucratic processes here are pure madness.

And I'm Italian with 100% command of the local language, I can't imagine the trouble an expat trying to do things here would go trough.