ApplePay!

28 posts in this topic

Apparently as of today, ApplePay can now be used with several German banks and Germany-issed American Express Cards.

When I first came to Germany and didn't have a local bank account, I would use ApplePay with a UK card (which was helpful for collecting Avois points for trips to the UK to see my girlfriend) and I never understood at first the confused reactions that I would get from people when I'd pay by tapping my phone on the NFC reader - being accused of being a "Hacker" in the Enkheim Rewe was probably my favourite.

I see some people claiming that with the launch of ApplePay that the "only one in twenty transactions is by card" stat will now rapidly change, but will mobile payment services really change the bargeld culture in Germany? Non-German colleagues at work seem to think that mobile payment will rapidly be the favoured method for "the younger generation", but I don't know as when I go to do my food shopping I see lots of younger people paying in cash.

Will cash continue to remain King in Germany?

39 minutes ago, Buzznut3000 said:

I can't imagine the 80% of businesses that won't accept credit cards in Germany will embrace this.

You meant in Selingenstadt, didn't you?

1 hour ago, fraufruit said:

You meant in Selingenstadt, didn't you?

My butcher does not take cards at all. 

We do not all get to enjoy the dizzy cosmopolitan heights of München. B)

I do not see what's wrong with Maestro + debt/credit card, seems to be accepted in almost everywhere I go - across Europe, every Giro, bank will give you them ( normally without cost ). - ok I but my meat at Lidl/edeka.

Just seems like another apple con to lock you into their products, like facetime, which you can only use on apple, where as, Skype, whatsapp, viber can be used across all devices.

Why would you want to restrict yourself ?

Unless I miss something

14 hours ago, Mackle said:

Apparently as of today, ApplePay can now be used with several German banks and Germany-issed American Express Cards.

When I first came to Germany and didn't have a local bank account, I would use ApplePay with a UK card (which was helpful for collecting Avois points for trips to the UK to see my girlfriend) and I never understood at first the confused reactions that I would get from people when I'd pay by tapping my phone on the NFC reader - being accused of being a "Hacker" in the Enkheim Rewe was probably my favourite.

I see some people claiming that with the launch of ApplePay that the "only one in twenty transactions is by card" stat will now rapidly change, but will mobile payment services really change the bargeld culture in Germany? Non-German colleagues at work seem to think that mobile payment will rapidly be the favoured method for "the younger generation", but I don't know as when I go to do my food shopping I see lots of younger people paying in cash.

Will cash continue to remain King in Germany?

Google Pay came to Germany almost 6 months ago (and Android is much more popular than iOS).   I've been using Google Pay for a while and I have never seen anyone else paying with a Smartphone yet in Berlin.  Some cashiers are still very surprised when they see it working.    I don't think Smartphone payments will make a considerable change, they will replace some card payments but it will not really dethrone cash yet in Germany.

35 minutes ago, yesterday said:

I do not see what's wrong with Maestro + debt/credit card, seems to be accepted in almost everywhere I go - across Europe, every Giro, bank will give you them ( normally without cost ). - ok I but my meat at Lidl/edeka.

Just seems like another apple con to lock you into their products, like facetime, which you can only use on apple, where as, Skype, whatsapp, viber can be used across all devices.

Why would you want to restrict yourself ?

Unless I miss something

There are plenty advantages, like, not having to take out your card from your wallet and securing your payment with your finger print instead of just a PIN.    And it does not cost anything too, and at the end you are using your card so you are not restricting yourself to anything.

34 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Google Pay came to Germany almost 6 months ago (and Android is much more popular than iOS).   I've been using Google Pay for a while and I have never seen anyone else paying with a Smartphone yet in Berlin.  Some cashiers are still very surprised when they see it working.    I don't think Smartphone payments will make a considerable change, they will replace some card payments but it will not really dethrone cash yet in Germany.

There are plenty advantages, like, not having to take out your card from your wallet and securing your payment with your finger print instead of just a PIN.    And it does not cost anything too, and at the end you are using your card so you are not restricting yourself to anything.

But you still have to take your phone out of your pocket !!

Now you can use contact less cards, you just take your wallet out of your pocket, put it on the sensor ( like your phone ) and it all runs smooth, ( for small payments ). ok finger print vs PIN ( for larger payments ) can be maybe 30 seconds quicker

its just personal preference, no real advantage in either way

When you live in a safe country like Germany, Cash still seems to be ok to me

I like cash, if you spend everything on electronic payments, you get no real overview of how much you have spent. When you pay with cash and your wallet gets quickly empty, you realize how quick the money is going

5 minutes ago, yesterday said:

But you still have to take your phone out of your pocket !!

Now you can use contact less cards, you just take your wallet out of your pocket, put it on the sensor ( like your phone ) and it all runs smooth, ( for small payments ). ok finger print vs PIN ( for larger payments ) can be maybe 30 seconds quicker

its just personal preference, no real advantage in either way

Taking the phone out, unlocking it with finger print and putting it over the payment device is in my opinion faster and safer than taking out the wallet, looking for your credit card, taping the card on the payment terminal and typing in your PIN.

And if you do not want to take your phone out of your pocket you could have a smartwatch and tap the watch on the payment terminal.

5 minutes ago, yesterday said:

When you live in a safe country like Germany, Cash still seems to be ok to me

I like cash, if you spend everything on electronic payments, you get no real overview of how much you have spent. When you pay with cash and your wallet gets quickly empty, you realize how quick the money is going

This depends on the person, but telling me you have a better overview of your finances by using cash compared to using electronic payments that log every single payment into a system and then you can export your data ... sounds very odd.   The only way I would have such fine data with cash is by writing down every payment I do.   

Everything I have to do to check how much money I spent yesterday is checking my banking app. 

Last week I decided to make a major purchase only to find out that I have a €2,000 limit on my debit card, which is rather annoying when the item cost €2,100 and  there is enough  money is in the bank. Not sure if ApplePay would have helped but I had to default to old fashioned cash over the counter at a branch of my bank. Thankfully Euros come in reasonable sized denominations so the amount did not over tax my wallet. No surprise the UK prefer non cash with GBP 50 being the highest denomination and even talk of that being dropped!

Nice thing about cash is once it is gone you can't overspend and go into overdraft.

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Surely you don't do 80% of your trade at the butcher.:rolleyes:

If you are asking if I conduct 80% of my individual transactions at the butcher, then no. 

I do conduct many transactions with purveyors and services in cash, possibly as much as 70% of my individual transactions. 40-50% of individual transactions I have no choice. 10% could be possible but I cannot guarantee it. 10-20 % simply while I have cash on me and I am used to this payment mechanism.  

I would ideally be very happy with a Krieg style export of all transactions. I am sure others would be too :ph34r: So perhaps not after all.

I am not really interested in a partial electronic overview of small things. Should I add all the rest myself? Life is too short. I am sure that by the time DE gets up to speed on all this I will be too set in my ways to change again. 

2 hours ago, yesterday said:

if you spend everything on electronic payments, you get no real overview of how much you have spent

Huh? If I spend cash I have to go through every individual till receipt to get an overview of what I spent and if I lost one then I have no record at all.

If I use a card or my phone, then I get an full list of exactly what I spent where. I can export it to a spreadsheet, track it month to month etc etc. Much better overview IMO.

OK if I want to know exactly what I bought in Rewe on the 13th of the month I still have to go back to the paper receipts, but in general having the overview from my bank statement as a prompt makes it much easier to remember and therefore less likely for me to need to go back to the till slips.

26 minutes ago, pappnase said:

Huh? If I spend cash I have to go through every individual till receipt to get an overview of what I spent and if I lost one then I have no record at all.

If I use a card or my phone, then I get an full list of exactly what I spent where. I can export it to a spreadsheet, track it month to month etc etc. Much better overview IMO.

I think what he calls an "overview" of his spending is:  Take a lot at the wallet, if there is still enough cash then I am doing OK, if there is little or no cash then I am spending too much.

He simply likes it in that way, nothing wrong with it.  The problem is that when he tries to justify why he likes it he finds strange excuses like "It does not provide me an overview of my expenses".

1 hour ago, pappnase said:

Yeah fair enough. I guess 'cash' gives you that 'at a glance' overview.

So does opening up the relevant app on a phone :P

Some institutions display pending transactions very quickly, so it can be pretty much real-time. 

17 minutes ago, Mackle said:

Some institutions display pending transactions very quickly, so it can be pretty much real-time. 

That is super helpful.

Things are improving, but I do find the amount of time an EC card purchase with signature not PIN number takes to drift over to my online bank overview very tiresome. These are often shops with regular household purchases.  These sums of "lost in transit" transactions can add up and I can see the value of just looking in your wallet to see how much cash you have left rather than double checking all the receipts you have collected in the interim. 

Another thread could be why are receipts so long ... The elegance of an ApplePay style service is somewhat lost when you are still fighting to shove reams of paper in your wallet. 

14 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Another thread could be why are receipts so long ... The elegance of an ApplePay style service is somewhat lost when you are still fighting to shove reams of paper in your wallet. 

I noticed that I always got asked if I wanted a receipt, which then lead me to notice that it seems more often than not other people don’t take their receipts here.

So if people are largely paying in cash, and not taking receipts, how do you take something back if you have a problem with it? I saw someone recently buy a 500€ Samsung TV in Kaufland, pay cash, and decline the receipt.  And if I bought something like a tin of kidney beans from a brand that is stocked in different supermarkets, opened it up and it was full of maggots, how would I prove to that store that I bought it there if I have no receipt?

3 minutes ago, Mackle said:

I noticed that I always got asked if I wanted a receipt, which then lead me to notice that it seems more often than not other people don’t take their receipts here.

The legal requirement is the customer has the right to have a receipt for every transaction if requested so.   The problem is plenty of point of sale software is not prepared to print the receipt upon request which is nonsensical.  So they ask you if you want the receipt, you say no, the system still prints the receipt and they toss it away.    I wonder in the time of corporations wanting to save peanuts, why they still didn't make a software update to save that precious paper?

3 minutes ago, Mackle said:

So if people are largely paying in cash, and not taking receipts, how do you take something back if you have a problem with it? I saw someone recently buy a 500€ Samsung TV in Kaufland, pay cash, and decline the receipt.  And if I bought something like a tin of kidney beans from a brand that is stocked in different supermarkets, opened it up and it was full of maggots, how would I prove to that store that I bought it there if I have no receipt?

You need the receipt.    But some places would some times take the item back or at least replace it without the receipt if you ask nicely.  Some I know are IKEA and indeed Kaufland at least with small items, not sure what will happen if you bring back a TV to Kaufland without a receipt.

I work on the basis that they have a record of the tranaction as well.  Equally producing a receipt does not prove its the same item anyway unless possibly it was unique, or with ID like serial number, or the only one sold in time period etc.  (And of course quite a lot of people actively want no record of a shedload of their cash..tis what I might assume if someone whacked down a ton of cash and did not want a receipt :ph34r:).  

I understand that many people like a comprehensive record of transactions but it also seems a bit "tail wagging dog" to me.  Just because it's there, we ought to make use of it, when people have managed their money for centuries without.   Same with information in many aspects of 2018 life, not only this.  That's before we start on factors like tracking location etc.

And, arguably it pushes more obligations on to the consumer as in "no receipt, no refund - you prove you bought it" view when our statutory rights and consumer law etc are not impacted by that.

2 hours ago, Krieg said:

I think what he calls an "overview" of his spending is:  Take a lot at the wallet, if there is still enough cash then I am doing OK, if there is little or no cash then I am spending too much.

He simply likes it in that way, nothing wrong with it.  The problem is that when he tries to justify why he likes it he finds strange excuses like "It does not provide me an overview of my expenses".

I never used the phase "It does not provide me an overview of my expenses".

I usually, "manage my expenses" by taking out from the machine say 400 euro ( for example ) and I know that will last me about ( for example ) a 2 weeks - If I noticed that, that my wallet get really empty  more quickly - then I start to think what's going on, and maybe alter my spending habits in the future. Mostly I check my bank statement every month.

I just could not be bothered to download all my expenses every day and check them, maybe some people have more time than me and I guess more interesting lives.

Again as everyone says, there is nothing really wrong or right with any method its just what you prefer. Some people prefer to download the expenses into another program and perform analysis on this data  - I just do not want to