Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GLS - too much to expect

48 posts in this topic

Sorry if this has been done to death. Working with Safari as a browser at the moment and it doesn't seem to be able to search.

Has anyone had any luck with these guys and customer service?

Been waiting since friday, when my delivery was supposed to arrive. Friday afternoon got an email - parcel is coming Monday.

Today got an email - parcel has been delivered (5 minutes before i found the email).

Went downstairs to get it. No parcel. No neighbours have seen it. No card in the letterbox.

Called customer service. They told me to look again and hung up.

Called back. The next person told me a depot would call me and hung up without taking my number (perhaps they had it on a screen in front of them).

I called every depot in my area and they all said if the email is telling me "erfolgreich zugestellt" then they most probably won't receive it.

Not sure what my next course of action is. Anyone out there done anything magical that has resulted in help? This is my wife's Christmas present I'm waiting on.

The chances are if you live any higher than the 1st floor then it will get delivered to a local collection place/shop.

That's my experience with GLS along with DPD who together I think are the worst.

I would check on the GLS tracking site to see if it's been signed for and by whom or if it's gone to a local collection shop, assuming you have a tracking number.

6 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

That's my experience with GLS along with DPD who together I think are the worst

One good thing about DPD is the ability to redirect a package "in transit" to a DPD shop even if it has been adressed to your home address (through their App). None of the other delivery companies seem to have a reasonable way to do this

47 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

Not sure what my next course of action is

Contact the sender

51 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

Has anyone had any luck with these guys and customer service?

ohhhhhhh

never.  In fact one of my biggest frustrations with them is that like most delivery services they allow you to change your delivery preferences (eg leave it with a neighbor, leave it in a designated location, etc) yet they never follow the instructions. NEVER. 

I never called them - as I recall they have a policy that if a package has not been "missing" for more than 5 days you can piss off in the meantime - but using their contact form I never received a reply.  I no longer shop with places that use GLS (or DPD) as they really are that bad.

Suggestion:  ask around.  one time I put a note on our entry door and one in the elevator asking if anyone had received a package for me - it turned up :)

good luck!

21 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

I would check on the GLS tracking site to see if it's been signed for and by whom or if it's gone to a local collection shop, assuming you have a tracking number.

I have had two deliveries in Berlin which claimed to be delivered sucessfully via the tracking system that I found at the local collection shop. In neither case was I informed of the relocation by a note in the letterbox or otherwise. I just went by and asked.

11 minutes ago, msam said:

One good thing about DPD is the ability to redirect a package "in transit" to a DPD shop even if it has been adressed to your home address (through their App). None of the other delivery companies seem to have a reasonable way to do this

Now you mention it, I was expecting a delivery from DPD on Saturday, I redirected to the Pizza shop next door as we would be out and it still didn't get delivered. Today they have decided to redirect the parcel to a collection point. Why I ask myself, I have been home all day and the Pizza shop has been open since 08.00, they are useless.

@Kommentarlos

it's the same for me especially with GLS, the worst is with DPD, their depot is over at Tegel and I had to go there several times to collect parcels.

I never receive card from either DPD or GLS, the last GLS delivery I had went to the collection point and was collected by somebody else with the same name, GLS sent them the card but fortunately they came round to our flat that same evening and explained their mistake.

I had a delivery from DPD last week but the supplier despatched it a week earlier than I date I chose as I knew I would be home, and so I was not home.  So that bit not their fault.   But I got nothing more from them other than an email saying "collectible from our depot" which is in a town 15km away. (I mean, I assume they came - no card here).     When I used the contact form to say "no thanks", they did at least respond fast, but only to say they would send it back to the supplier, and I've already got a refund.  So it could have been worse but it's hardly the most responsive or flexible service either.

The things that I have had delivered either by GLS or DPD have always tended to be on the bulky and heavy side. I guess it is more economical for the suppliers to use them, 

This definitely adds a level of tedium when you are forced to go pick the things up yourself, esp. when you were at home in the first place.

The newspaper kiosk across the road is now my local collection point. They are happy for you to rock up without a card and browse the packages yourself. Before the shop was a few km away on a road with no bus and no parking options. So a 2 man job. I have been to Tegel once for DPD but would not do that again. Life is too short.

I've told businesses who ship with GLS that I won't buy from them until they use any other parcel service, they were sympathetic but didn't accommodate me.  GLS is by far the worst, enormously frustrating to deal with.

I ordered some things from the UK a while back and the last bit of the journey on this side was with GLS. The guy turned up, got the two quite large but not especially heavy boxes out of the van and then started actually shouting at me and the two kids who had come outside to help carry the boxes in that he should not be expected to deliver parcels from the UK and if we hadn't been in we would have had to have paid for return delivery back to Blighty.

Quite bizarre. I am sure it is an unrewarding and badly paid job, but even so that seemed a bit extreme.

that's interesting that you say that - jogged my memory - most packages I get from the UK are delivered via GLS now.  they used to come by DHL but that changed maybe a year ago? 

also most packages from elsewhere in the EU used to come via Hermes or DHL, but now those seem to come with DPD more often than not.

grrrr.  I half wonder if there is some conspiracy to encourage people to buy German or risk these crap delivery services :)

12 hours ago, lisa13 said:

that's interesting that you say that - jogged my memory - most packages I get from the UK are delivered via GLS now.  they used to come by DHL but that changed maybe a year ago? 

12 hours ago, lisa13 said:

grrrr.  I half wonder if there is some conspiracy to encourage people to buy German or risk these crap delivery services

Ha.  GLS is owned by Royal Mail, so is duty bound to be crap.

1 minute ago, snowingagain said:

Ha.  GLS is owned by Royal Mail, so is duty bound to be crap.

holy hell!  that might 'splain it :)

I appreciate all your replies - thank you. Yeah - I actually live in a house, not in a block of flats, and I live in a country village so there are limited places where this parcel could have gone. None of the neighbours have it. I did write to the company who I bought from but only to tell them about the crap service. The depots I called yesterday were very sympathetic but they all said there was nothing they could do. It was the clown at customer service who told me to look harder before hanging up that got me vexed. 

I didn't realise I could see who signed for it by going to the GLS tracking site. I'll have a go at that and see if anything comes up.

31 minutes ago, tokeshu said:

I did write to the company who I bought from but only to tell them about the crap service.

I strongly encourage you to write to them again and tell them very explicitly that you did *not* receive your package, you are getting nowhere with the delivery company, and ask them to pick up the investigation (or refund your purchase)

I had to do this once (I can't remember if the carrier was DPD or GLS) and the seller had it straightened out in no time.  I think the key is the seller is the paying customer, from the viewpoint of the delivery service.  Maybe it's more complicated than that but I kinda doubt it ;)

Thank you lisa13. I got an email from their customer service department this morning that pretty much ignored all my questions and told me to be patient. I've never been involved in a business that uses carriers like GLS so I don't know what normal procedure is. I would think that undelivered parcels get taken to a depot on the day of delivery and not back to the main sorting centre, but I haven't heard anything yet. I did ask them if they could let me know who signed for the delivery - I hope they reply.

Writing again to the seller is my next step.

GLS is so bad in our town, they never actually deliver anything.  You get an email (sometimes) that they are "sorry they missed you" and you can pick up your package at local store.

You can use your Widerrufsrecht in a situation like this, even though you haven't received the goods, if you bought from an online shop. The seller has to refund you the money and it becomes his problem to search for the parcel and/or fight with GLS. Not your problem!  Obviously if the parcel does turn up you have to send it back or refuse the delivery.

https://www.arag.de/auf-ins-leben/udo-vetter/paket-nicht-angekommen/