Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A rant about life in Frankfurt

163 posts in this topic

Addiction is an illness and there are many different types. How many of those people arguing against it have ever been "addicted" to something ?

Bear in mind addictions can take many forms, drugs (alchohol,smoking and chocolate included), computers (yes some people are addicted to computer games and have destroyed their lives) and even shopping.

Whilst some people don't care about their addictions others do and do "try" to correct it. Some of those people fail. Is it their fault. Not necessarily. Labelling ALL addicts as a single grouping as isn't the key to solving anything. It is like brushing the dirt under the carpet. Unfortunately it is a sign of the times and society. There is no one easy solution. We should encourage those who wish to help these people as they often have a really hard time. Imagine helping someone off drugs only for them to go back after a period of time.

It's an illness. Mostly you need help and support to overcome your addiction.

An addiction is a personal problem, not an illness. Many people do manage to overcome addictions, with as stated, help & support. What's next - greed, poverty, laziness being called illnesses - to be "cured"?

Quite a few addictions in this country - petty minded "Ordnung", eco-fascismus, driving fat cars, smoking. You`d need a whole battery of therapists to deal with them all.

and I agree with the remark about it all starting with smoking. I think all the cigarette machines on the streets of this country should be removed for a start. As for legalising cannabis in the UK as they are thinking of doing, Im against it. Keep it banned, and ban tobacco as well.

This has run and Run

Why dont we split

50% can set up a vigilante mob and wipe out the Zombie flesh eaters

50% can try and be nice to them give them money and blame it on there past lifes

Lets see what would be more succesful

If you give them money it only encourages them. Its like feeding the pidgeons. If you feed them they multiply and it makes the problem worse.

Yes people have problems, but begging is not the solution, its part of the problem.

And re my remark about canabis and tobacco. Isnt it ironic that the british government is planning to ban smoking in pubs, yet at the same time is talking about legalising cannabis? Its all drugs and Im anti-drug.

Banning smoking in pubs: go for it !!!

At last someone is doing something against second hand smoking.

Maybe they will ban drinking in pubs too :P

This is a really interesting thread. I know I haven’t been on here for a while but I became a bit fed up with the cliquey club stylo of some of it’s posters. Been monitoring it for a few weeks and decided I’d post something again when an interesting thread appeared and not some childish “sarcastic

Then maybe the germans need to take onboard the idea of "zero tolerance"...

It does get very tedious having to run the gauntlet of these freaks every time you go through the hauptbahnhof and its environs.

Still its not as bad as Berlin. There you get accosted by hoodies at the entrances to the u-bahn, as well as having to endure their whiney voices (usually with an anorexic hound on a piece of string (never a proper dog lead). It used to be "Haste eine Mark?" . Wonder what they say now "Haste ein Euro" doesnt have quite the same ring to it somehow.

I remember an episode of "The New Statesman" , a brit tv comedy parodying an obnoxious young yuppie turned tory politician played by Rik Mayell. Coming out of tory HQ he`s accosted by a whining, yet polite, beggar "excuse me mate do you have 5p?" To which comes the irate reply: "Of course I have 5p! What a stupid question!!"

Here's an idea - pay the druggies the same as a top-flight footballer.

Begging is another story and it amazes me how many Germans quite happily give money to a "beggar" on the street without thinking of what they are doing. I have seen some of these "beggars" pack up at the end of the day and get their mobile out to call home, others you know are going to just spend the money on whatever they are addicted to, be it drugs or alchohol. Is begging legal in Germany or is it just that the police turn a blind eye to it ?

This may be a trifle controversial but I agree pretty much with this article.

"It is often stated that illicit drugs are "bad, dangerous, destructive" or "addictive," and that society has an obligation to keep them from the public. But nowhere can be found reliable, objective scientific evidence that they are any more harmful than other substances and activities that are legal. In view of the enormous expense, the carnage and the obvious futility of the "drug war," resulting in massive criminalization of society, it is high time to examine the supposed justification for keeping certain substances illegal.

Media focus on the "junkie" has generated a mistaken impression that all uses of illegal drugs are devastated by their habit. Simple arithmetic demonstrates that the small population of visible addicts must constitute only a fraction of the $150 billion per year illegal drug market. This industry is so huge that it necessarily encompasses a very large portion of the ordinary population who are typically employed, productive, responsible and not significantly impaired from leading conventional lives. These drug users are not "addicts" just as the vast majority of alcohol users are not "alcoholics."

Read source article

Agree largely with you Eric - they are down to classification, by whom - the Government, or medical profession, or the upper classes etc etc. (& yes I did do some sociology at school (failed - is that good or bad - but then I was the only boy in the class :$ )). There is evidence that even some Class 3 drugs cause permenant disconnection of some brain neuron connections. Anyone know if alcohol/nicotine has similar documented results?

I feel that addiction is a behavioural problem rather than an "illness". It can be overcome by therapies (medication & psycological) but even when "cured" a will is still required not to revert.

I feel that

(Yes - assertiveness classes too)

PS. Alien made me rant this (see Hello...is anybody there...? thread)

QUOTE Agree largely with you Eric - they are down to classification, by whom - the Government, or medical profession, or the upper classes etc etc. (& yes I did do some sociology at school (failed - is that good or bad - but then I was the only boy in the class blush.gif )).

Its good - at least youve got an ology!

The obligation to keep certain substances from the public is not justified by what those substances do to the people who use them, but rather what the people who use them do to the public.

People who are addcited to heroin, speed, etc. cause great harm to society in financial, social and 'quality of life' terms.

We can debate what the best way of protecting society is (banning their use and punishing the users or quarentining their use, and hopefully effects, to a confined area).

The 'War on Drugs' is certainly of questionable value and has been an unquestionable failure, but the, uh, 'Pro-Drugs' lobby (not sure what they like to be called) overextends its points with claims like the ones the Vicar noted. Sorry, but heroin and crack are a hell of a lot worse than beer, and claiming that they are not makes one look like a moron. Their use also has an effect far beyond those who use them, and that is why there is an obligation not to allow them to be injected freely at the central train station.

Their use also has an effect far beyond those who use them

Well the same can certainly go for beer too! How many yobs do we have on the streets of Britain on a Friday and Saturday night because of alcohol?!