Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

A rant about life in Frankfurt

163 posts in this topic

I use the word scum with careful consideration--I think it is an awful word--yet in my opininion describes what is on the streets here in Frankfurt

What kind of a society wont let you watch a dVd after 9pm at a suitable volume.

Tuts at you washing your car

on a sunday.

Screams at you for daring to cross the rd without a green man--Even if there is not a car in sight...

And a whole host of other rules that slow life

YET--STICK A NEEDLE IN YOUR FOOT NO PROBLEM

PROSTITUTES GET IT ON

Yesterday having a sandwich some old hag of a lady wips out a needle in the phone box across the and injests herself

Today i left the car at home---coming out of the Hautbanhoff you had to step over the junkies in the stairs injexting , sniffing and god knows what

Children passing and the Germans looking the other way

2 jakes screaming at each other in the station0--

What is wrong here?

Why is this allowed to go on?

We were talking about it here the other day too - how in the last few months the situation at the Hauptbahnhof has taken a drastic turn for the worse. I remember it being worse in 1994 when I was here for a while, but it seemed that they had cleaned it up. Apparently not. Where do these people come from? Some look like characters out of Zombies Dawn of the Dead.

I steer well clear - which is hard as I work just round the corner - and run away to the hills every night.

May be they'll drive them all out in time for the World Cup. Can't imagine some staggering drugged-up freak is the welcome Franz Beckenbauer has in mind when the world descends on Germany next summer.

Can you imagine when the WC is on bizzarre

Its weird because they are not threatening just horrible

I am amazed that the locals stand for it

Why dont they clean this town up

I remember when I first came to Frankfurt I was shocked by it. My first day there and was coming out from the S-Bahn and I see 2 junkies sitting in the middle of the stairs. They had a beer can upside down with I presume heroin in the round bit at the bottom. They started filling the needle and sticking it into their strapped arm. I remember looking back at this and seeing 2 kids about 10 or 11 standing watching it. Couldn't believe it. Same week, was having lunch and see some junkies shooting up between 2 parked cars outside where I was eating. A polizei van came along and I remember thinking this should be good. Polizie van slowed down and one of the junkies stood up and waved them on... they drove off :o

I talked to a few people who had lived in Frankfurt all their lives about this. They said that the junkies used to hang around that area in a small park with a Goethe statue on the front, don't know the name. The Polizie tried to clean up the area but in doing so they spread the problem all around the city. So now they just let them at it in in this area so as to contain it!!

Then go back to your make-believe cities ... !!

Having lived in real-slums, having lived in every corner of this beautiful world, all I can say about Frankfurt, is that I love it!!!

Erm, Erm ... for those of you who tend to hide behind your white picket fence, Mercer studies rated FRANKFURT as the 5th best city of live in. Sure Frankfurt has its problems, but come on, what city doesn't?

Ps. Tommy, please enlighten me ... what perfect city are you from?

Willy,

no need to be defensive all cities have problems but to have these junkies(all big cities have them) on display and shooting up in public.is in my opinion disgusting-Children shouldnt have to witness such things-I am from Edinburgh which has well publicised problems highlighted in the 90's by trainspotting and was Europes aids capital--There was help for these people which went some way to helping the problem..

Tommy

I have only been to Frankfurt a couple of times, and have certainly been shocked by what I saw. It is not something that I would like my kids to witness.

But it is true that every major town will have areas like this .. it is perhaps unfortunate in Frankfurt that it is where it is highly visible.

In Köln they have just completely re-done the steps between the Bahnhof and the Dom. One of the positive benefits is that all the ne'er-do-wells don't have little nooks and crannies where they can park their dogs (why do they all have dogs???), beg with their McDonalds cups, smoke their joints, p**s all over the place, and generally make a bloody nuisance of themselves.

I fully agree with you Tommy, that yes, Frankfurt does indeed need to clean up its drug problem ... mind you, so do ALL major cities! Drug abuse is not only prevalent on the streets of Frankfurt, sadly it's everywhere, in every corner, even in the rural cities of my home, Canada.

Sadly, to clean up the streets and sweep it under the rug, back in the gutters, per se, does nothing for the problem. The problem of drug abuse lies deep in German society – which is unstable and in need of recovery. Perhaps with the new government, things will get better.

Drugs aside, Frankfurt is a very very beautiful city to live in. Safe, yes!

I have to say I love Frankfurt. All cities have their ugly side. Frankfurt actually has very little in the way of ugliness if you compare it with London or other places. I agree the Hauptbahnhof is bad. I have the misfortune to cycle past it once a week on the way to and from an evening class. All manner of nutcases, druggies, and general lowlife hang out in and around the station.

But even that is not as bad as the Hauptbahnhof in Hamburg used to be. Frankfurt is mild compared to that.

I agree though that kind of lowlife crowd shouldnt be the first thing you meet when you step out of the main doors of the station and out onto the city streets. So they need to do some kind of clearing up! Otherwise it lowers the tone - and has an adverse effect on real estate values as well as detracting from the upbeat corporate business image the council is striving to meet :-))

Ah Rick_de, a guy of my own heart ... you're right Frankfurt is mild, even compared with my beautiful Vancouver. :$

Given than Frankfurt boasts the second largest red-light district, besides Amsterdam, in terms of crime & sleaze et al, yep ... it's MILD, very MILD!!

I remember my first couple of months in Frankfurt, as I used to take a language course on Kaiserstrasse. I passed the Commerzbank, (Kaiserstrasse) one afternoon and their was a guy doing a massive dump at the entrance of the bank. Could have been a disgruntled customer, I don't know! needless to say my appetite vanished.

Anyway, during one of my many walks around that area, I stumbled on "Cafe Fix", an aptly named cafe situated down a side street from Kaiserstrasse. There was about 8-10 people outside lying half conscious with needles poking from their bodies. Certainly an eye opener. However, I also think its a good thing if they have a certain place to go to, to either shoot or take whatever else. I suppose the others should use it!

As for other cities having problems, sure this is certainly true, but over the last two years of being here, I can see the Hauptbahnhof getting more crowded with drunks, con merchants and junkies.

Having just come back from lunch in Munchener str I stumbled across a few junkies and indeed they were smoking crack and downing bottled beers one of the women was slumped across another bloke who was spralwed across the pavement-obviously on cloud 9-needless to say the police were driving by slowed down to where they were sitting and just loked at them...and drove off again.

All this at 12:40am.

I had to cross to the other side because of the stench coming from them!!

QUOTE: I remember my first couple of months in Frankfurt, as I used to take a language course on Kaiserstrasse. I passed the Commerzbank, (Kaiserstrasse) one afternoon and their was a guy doing a massive dump at the entrance of the bank. Could have been a disgruntled customer, I don't know! needless to say my appetite vanished.

LOL! Gives new meaning to the term "making a deposit".

I worked at one of the big banks HQs in the Kaiserstrasse area. It always struck me as amusing how the pinstriped mob had to step over junkies lying on the pavement and even in the entrances to their office doorways to get to work!

You could say though all the clientele in that area are junkies - sex junkies, drug junkies and finance junkies! Its all kind of karma or is that feng shui related...

Have they installed the video cameras yet? I heard they were putting them everywhere in that area apart from the street where all the Eros Centers are. The owners were concerned it might put off the customers.

QUOTE I use the word scum with careful consideration--I think it is an awful word--yet in my opininion describes what is on the streets here in Frankfurt

What kind of a society wont let you watch a dVd after 9pm at a suitable volume.

Tuts at you washing your car

on a sunday.

Screams at you for daring to cross the rd without a green man--Even if there is not a car in sight...

And a whole host of other rules that slow life

What kind of society?

German society!!!

Sounds though like you`re just having a general whinge at all things, or at least, some things, german. Or maybe having a bit of a"bad hair day"?!?

A german moving to the UK could just as easily have a big whinge about lots of maddening things about life in England - and especially London, which are offputting, unpleasant, crazy or defy rhyme and reason. I myself (even as a brit) could think of quite a few to start the ball rolling.

QUOTE 2 jakes screaming at each other in the station0--

What is wrong here?

Why is this allowed to go on?

What are "jakes"?!?

I think you`ll find though there are looneys in all big cities. There were plenty at large in Hamburg and Berlin both cities I have also lived in. Not to mention London..

Sure Frankfurt has its problems, but come on, what city doesn't?

Munich? its not called Toytown for nothing. The police drove (virtually) all the junkies and beggers out of town. They probably all ended up in Frankfurt :P

The police drove (virtually) all the junkies and beggers out of town.

A begger in Munich? Now that's an oxymoron!!

I grew up in London and have never seen the things you see here on the streets. It might go on in London behind closed doors, but that's OK.

There's plenty of stuff that goes on in my own house behind the closed door that I wouldn't want the commuters at the station to see.

i dont like to see beggers and junkies on the sreets .

but please try and remember that these people are still people and maybe theyve not had so much luck in life as you.

its a very easy trap to fall into and it can happen to anyone (even you)