Australian teacher looking for work

4 posts in this topic

HI,

My wife and I are moving to Germany next year. my wife is a qualified primary school teacher and has 3 years experience. She is after a teaching position anywhere in Germany (preferably Primary)

does anyone have an opening or know of any positions.

We are currently applying at the international schools.

Danke

If she wants to get into the public system, get in touch with the Kultusministerium of the state (Bundesland) you will live in, and see if they can have her teaching credentials (and experience) considered equal. 'Qualified' means different things in different places, so don't hold your breath, but it's worth a shot. I don't know more specifically what's involved, only that I've known a few to try this. One was Irish, and was eventually accepted. Another was Turkish and was not accepted (her teaching degree was for adult education, and had no equivalent to the Refendariat/Staatsexamen, i.e. no proven teaching hours and no observed lessons and related exams). Another was an American friend who was allowed in as a Quereinsteiger, but he was locked in at subpar conditions. A 70% contract at a lower pay scale despite having a German degree, and he will always teach the same two subjects for the same two grades, for the next 30 years. This was at a school in the suburbs of a small ca. 50k town, where his wife happens to be from, so he didn't mind too much. In all cases, they spoke (near-)fluent German.

Obviously, a (presumed?) lack of German is going to be a major limiting factor. There are other hurdles, too. Age, health, etc. 

Heads up: IME Australian degrees are not always considered as highly as German degrees, particularly the case if there was no actual final thesis, etc. (which seems to be more common in the Australian system?). With teaching degrees, if there was not a period of observed evaluation of teaching, it probably won't be considered equivalent. I'm not sure what the Australian system does. Even if it's not considered equivalent, which is more than likely, she could still enter as a Quereinsteiger, but she'd need to speak German...

Apart from that, international schools are obviously the way to go. Being basically private schools, they are a little more flexible in what credentials they can accept. Just keep in mind, there's no shortage of qualified candidates for international school teachers in bigger cities. Her being a native English speaker is a bonus, but only a small one.

Adding to what alderhill says, there has been a steady trickle of British trained teachers coming out of the Army schools here (because they are closing as the force re-bases) and most are employed as Quereinsteiger - some have quite rubbishy German, and are employed to teach English or other subjects through English (bi-lingual classes, they call them here).

Only two I know of, both in NRW, are 'proper' teachers, one was a Newly Qualified Teacher, found himself a school keen to have him, and ended up travelling one day a week to uni for a year whilst being employed by the school, and after that (and presumably some observed lessons) he is now a German qualified teacher. The other was a deputy head, with C1/C2 German, and he sat an exam, was observed once, and was taken on as the real thing as well. 

On 07/12/2018, 12:19:09, ShannonWeedon said:

my wife is a qualified primary school teacher and has 3 years experience.

How well does she speak German? 

Berlin currently has a shortage of primary school teachers and recently decided to give fully qualified primary school teachers the same paygrade (TV-L E 13) as high school teachers from the 2019/2020 school year. In order to teach in public schools in Berlin, teachers from Australia will need:

- 3 or 4 year bachelor's degree

+

- Bachelor of Teaching/Master of Teaching/Master of Education 

+

Certificate of Teacher Registration 

C2 German 

The Quereinsteiger rules are a little bit more complicated and positions as Quereinsteiger pay less.

https://www.berlin.de/sen/bildung/fachkraefte/einstellungen/lehrkraefte/quereinstieg/