Anger over pork sausages at Germany Islam event

197 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, optimista said:

Vive la République. The French special police shot the Strasbourg jihadist last night. Basically extra-judicial killing but I am not sorry. Except for his mother. She must wonder where she went wrong.

I humbly disagree with you. I don't know the facts of how he was apprehended but ideally he ought to have been taken alive. Extrajudicial is wrong, rule of law is correct, where possible.

20 minutes ago, jeremytwo said:

Extrajudicial is wrong, rule of law is correct, where possible.

Except in Lethal Weapon 2, when Murtaugh revoked Rudd’s diplomatic immunity with a bullet between the eyes. That was most excellent. 

Yonks ago I built an intranet for a small tuppenny company back in UK. One of the things I discovered was how much fun it was to upload Doom 3D and when the boss went home we spent the afternoon shooting each other. Therapeutic.

7 hours ago, kato said:

The "reasoning" for the Arab connection (other than pure conjecture based off of who espouses it, namely certain - mostly American - religious groups) likely comes from a very European interpretation of the script of the first TOS episode with Klingons appearing, in which their looks were termed "Oriental". This of course referred to East Asians, not Arabs though.

Only an unsaved idiot would have a hard time seeing how obvious it is that Star Trek's, Klingons, are actually Arabs in disguise. source

Is "unsaved" their term for anyone who does not believe in their version of the sky fairy?

:unsure: 

4 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

their looks were termed "Oriental". This of course referred to East Asians, not Arabs though.

As I recall, they did have vaguely fu manchu moustaches and eyebrows.

I never really thought of them (or any Star Trek race) as Earthling cognates, but FWIW they seemed more Viking/Mongolian horde hybrid to me.

I can't help myself with this one, it's Christmas so a little light hearted Islamic Christmas Song for you all.

22 hours ago, jeremytwo said:

I humbly disagree with you. I don't know the facts of how he was apprehended but ideally he ought to have been taken alive. Extrajudicial is wrong, rule of law is correct, where possible.

Of course. But in a theatre of war - and you can argue that this was - different rules apply. The guy indiscriminately shoots to kill and there is no doubt about his guilt. He has ceded his right to a trial. It is simply superfluous. Of course he was * shooting at the police*  when he was finished off. But I notice the French systematically kill these animals on the spot. Personally I'm glad they don't mess about discussing it until afterwards. It would be wrong to endanger more lives trying to take him alive.

It's always a balance. To what extent do you risk more lives to avoid making a martyr.

Morally anyone who is shooting is fair game, but in practice it tends where possible to be better to try people and bang them up.

On 12/15/2018, 11:19:59, optimista said:

Of course. But in a theatre of war - and you can argue that this was - different rules apply. The guy indiscriminately shoots to kill and there is no doubt about his guilt. He has ceded his right to a trial. It is simply superfluous. Of course he was * shooting at the police*  when he was finished off. 

Nope. To my knowledge France has not officially declared war on another country, so this was a criminal or terror act. Now if this idiot was firing at the police then to my limited legal knowledge they are perfectly justified in bringing him down with lethal force if necessary. There are specific ROE (rules of engagement) which apply to the taking of human life when it comes to these situations. These police officers receive specific training in this. However, I would not like to be such a marksman if my government didn't support me - in the UK there are noises being made to charge former British soldiers for their activities against the IRA in the 1970s. That to me is shocking. 

This so called "War on Terror" has been a disaster, especially this nebulous definition in international law of "Terror". If we allow indiscriminate shooting of anyone we suspect of heinous acts it is a slippery slope to this...

(I love that movie!)

Yes.. rules are rules etc etc...

But isnt it best to have this fella 6foot under rather than posing more threat to the general public?

Would you be saying this is he commited the crime at Holzkirchen Christmas market and was later seen hanging around your daughters school?

These people are Terrorists... and modern society has zero place for these fuckwits!

On 15/12/2018, 11:19:59, optimista said:

But I notice the French systematically kill these animals on the spot. Personally I'm glad they don't mess about discussing it until afterwards.

Although I wasn't a policeman we were expected to shoot at the body rather than a limb or head. The reason was simple, it's the largest target area and you don't want them to still be a threat. Everyone was taught to shoot to kill. Now I think thinking has changed in that by injuring someone you tie up more of the opponents resources with casualty evacuation. Great so long as the opposition don't believe in Martyrdom.If you look at how the UK police act to the attacks in London since 2007, the very much shoot to kill. IIRR it's all to do with whether the guy is a suicide bomber or not. They'd rather not take the chance.

I know Muslims who eat pork. They're not that hardcore.

Also, Muslims would be allowed to eat pork - if there was no other food available and it would otherwise be a matter of life and death.

Personally, I think these laws against pork in the Muslim and Jewish religions is because of where these religions originated: in a hot region of the world that had no refrigeration and pork is a meat that goes bad quickly. 

11 hours ago, nina_glyndwr said:

Personally, I think these laws against pork in the Muslim and Jewish religions is because of where these religions originated: in a hot region of the world that had no refrigeration and pork is a meat that goes bad quickly. 

Refrigeration has nothing to do with it but I had to chuckle.🤣😂😅

Pork is not dirty but rather regarded as impure, unhealthy and harmful for humans due to the fats, toxins and bacteria it contains and the way the pig spends its life rolling around in mud and its own excrement. 

Ask Ali

What's interesting further down the page from  my link above the author explains

We live in a Muslim country that holds on to its religious laws but at the same time wants to offer a variety of international products and foods to attract our culturally diverse population. Therefore, while it's not easy to find pork, most hotels serve it. So, if you decide to eat pork, that is up to you.

Isn't this in principle much the same as what was offered at this conference, 'recognition of the culturally diverse population in attendance'?

Except pigs do not roll around in their own shit. They like it clean. They are however prone to transmissible parasites.