Which Bank would you recommend

52 posts in this topic

The larger banks are competitive in their various offers.  The smaller or regional banks offer something the larger ones don't:  Service.  I was with HypoVereinsbank for nearly 20 years.  I just left them recently.  Actually, they started it! :lol:  They had a branch in Immenstadt where I live, then closed it.  Seems a town of 14000 is too small.  It took them about 2 months as I recall to finally install a Geldautomat.  During those two months I nagged them on the fees from using the other local machines.  I traveled to the nearest branch and spoke with them.  I was told it was my problem and I needed to travel to them to obtain cash - fee free.  It then took a letter and six months to have the Munich head office finally agree and reimburse me.

20 years of being a very good and loyal customer (albeit a one time pain in the arse!).  This year I went to the HVB and asked for a loan.  I was told no as my pension comes from another country.  No matter which country, the answer was an unequivocal no.  This was before I even filled a form.  I was out of the initial meeting in less than 5 minutes.

I went to the Sparkasse, with no account, no history, no knowledge of knowing anyone and was approved for a loan.  I have two accounts (business and personal) that cost a combined 4€ per month.  Two no fee EC cards.  I can pay the loan off early with no penalty.  Why did I not go to the Sparkasse years earlier?

HVB?  Fook off and have a nice day.  No more big banks for me.

I would expect a bank in a highly international and professional area such as Heidelberg to offer staff who speak English. Esp. one that offers deals for employees of major internationals e.g. SAP. 

I assumed the OP was expressing her/his frustrations with the Dienst nach Vorschrift mentality which can still be very prevelant in the public services and in banking. People do take pride in not switching their brains on and doing their job in the narrowest sense of the role. To claim this is not the case is somewhat naive.

This naturally has a special German flair to it, but you could expect a similar level of constructiveness from many UK local government employees for example.

22 minutes ago, BayrischDude said:

The larger banks are competitive in their various offers.  The smaller or regional banks offer something the larger ones don't:  Service.  I was with HypoVereinsbank for nearly 20 years.  I just left them recently.  Actually, they started it! :lol:  They had a branch in Immenstadt where I live, then closed it.  Seems a town of 14000 is too small.  It took them about 2 months as I recall to finally install a Geldautomat.  During those two months I nagged them on the fees from using the other local machines.  I traveled to the nearest branch and spoke with them.  I was told it was my problem and I needed to travel to them to obtain cash - fee free.  It then took a letter and six months to have the Munich head office finally agree and reimburse me.

20 years of being a very good and loyal customer (albeit a one time pain in the arse!).  This year I went to the HVB and asked for a loan.  I was told no as my pension comes from another country.  No matter which country, the answer was an unequivocal no.  This was before I even filled a form.  I was out of the initial meeting in less than 5 minutes.

I went to the Sparkasse, with no account, no history, no knowledge of knowing anyone and was approved for a loan.  I have two accounts (business and personal) that cost a combined 4€ per month.  Two no fee EC cards.  I can pay the loan off early with no penalty.  Why did I not go to the Sparkasse years earlier?

HVB?  Fook off and have a nice day.  No more big banks for me.

The best business is always personal! And caring about even the little guys/gals. Proof again from your report here! And NO bean counters!

By the way, still remember arriving in Harburg c.1989 and walking into Haspa and told them I was new and had no idea about anything  and BEFORE they asked me what I needed, they asked for my Ausweis! And those fuckers then closed for lunch!!! At the time of day clients had time free from work to go to the bank!

I ended up with them anyway..sort of " f... it "..

By the way part 2: hate Commerzbank. at a very stressful time in my life with the Finanzamt around 15 years ago or so, they decided to cancel my Dispo on the spot and charged me around 14 per cent interest to pay back my Dispo negative account and the threats and the arrogance..the besuited Gods on the first floor. They went on the attack against other self-employed friends of mine that month - bollocks to them.

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

23 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I would expect a bank in a highly international and professional area such as Heidelberg to offer staff who speak English. Esp. one that offers deals for employees of major internationals e.g. SAP. 

I would expect professional action from people who are so particularly international and professional... This includes not stubbornly persuading locals in a foreign language who do not speak it  in case of doubt - as well as not calling them stupid because they do not understand you. 

This naturally has a special German flair to it, but you could expect a similar level of constructiveness from many UK local government employees for example.

Yeah, "naturally". In every English-speaking country bank employees would pull out an arm and a leg to appease angry German customers in their mother tongue who talk to them on the phone ... after all, anyone can speak German there. 

There´s an old business adage.. are you buying or selling? If selling, do what you can to be helpful. If buying..ok, don´t be a  pain in the arse (just invented that bit! )...(but true anyway )...

I am a professional independent insurance broker and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

I would expect a bank in a highly international and professional area such as Heidelberg to offer staff who speak English.

Why?  Would you expect the same in London or New York that they offer staff who speak German?

A tourist might hope they offer English speaking staff, but if one lives here... no expectation other than service.  To go anywhere in this country and expect someone to speak English is a failure to face reality and is completely impolite.  If all else, take a German speaking colleague, partner, mate, neighbour.  The only expectation is competence in their goods or services.

12 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

Why?  Would you expect the same in London or New York that they offer staff who speak German?

While I agree with the idea in principle, I don't think it's a fair comparison. English is, de facto, the standard international language. I never expect anyone speaking English in any public organization in Germany but I'm a surprised with the lack of representatives with the ability to speak English at all in large bank branches. I don't say they are obliged to provide the service, just a surprise that they don't. It does look like a wasted opportunity.

I mean, when I first moved in Germany, my German was pathetic, so I went to the bank where there was a representative speaking English. I'm still using their services.

12 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

I would expect that international commercial business centers with bank branches that offer incentives for international companies to direct their staff in their direction to offer the main business languages of the company. In this case English. 

What happens in rural small towns may be very different. I would not expect anything really nor would I comment on it. 

5 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

I would expect that international commercial business centers with bank branches that offer incentives for international companies to direct their staff in their direction to offer the main business languages

This reminds me how about 15 years ago my (German) wife tried to open an account with HSBC in Hammersmith, London. The guy at the desk suddenly downed tools and said: "I'm sorry, I cannot open an account for you." My wife was somewhat surprised and asked why, and received the answer: "because you lied when you told me that you were German. Your passport does not state German, in fact it clearly says you are Dutch"! He didn't understand when my wife tried to explain that in Germany they call themselves "Deutsch" rather than "German". This happened at about the same time as HSBC launched its adverts on being the "world's bank" which "speaks your language".

5 minutes ago, dstanners said:

This happened at about the same time as HSBC launched its adverts on being the "world's bank" which "speaks your language".

Fabulous. :lol: