Which Bank would you recommend

57 posts in this topic

I have been using Commerzbank for more than 3 years. I decided to change my bank.

My savings have been always 5 digits, but all the time, I never received any interest. But this is not the reason I decided to change bank.

Today, I told my bank my debit card got a tiny line, it still works, and asked them if there is a charge to replace it.

Then, just presuming I want to change card, and without informing me, without telling me the current card would be closed, he just did it!!!!!

I have plan for this weekend for Christmas shopping, and I do not have time to go to their branch, they do not have a lot of branches.

They suck. Sorry is all I heard from them!

I understand I could not communicate more clearly, but speaking about comminication, their problem is larger. At least they should inform me about the closure of old card.

I had enough.

IngDIBA are good, I've been with them a year and no complaints. They seem smart. I came from DB (definitely no). 

There are also some new Internet banks like N26, they could have a card to you in a few days if you sign up.  

32 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

They suck. Sorry is all I heard from them!

I had enough.

So after three years (in which you hardly got credit interest - which you don't get anywhere) there was a communication problem (in which you were most likely not completely uninvolved), right?

We are with IngDiba and Commerzbank. Have been with others over the years. I believe that all banks cancel your card when you report any kind of problem.

We have debit and credit cards with Commerzbank so we're covered if either card is lost or whatever. Read - we can still shop.

Just now, fraufruit said:

We are with IngDiba and Commerzbank. Have been with others over the years. I believe that all banks cancel your card when you report any kind of problem.

We have debit and credit cards with Commerzbank so we're covered if either card is lost or whatever. Read - we can still shop.

Is there any fee for credit card?

58 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

Them, just presuming I want to change card, and without informing me, without telling me the current card would be closed, he just did it!!!!!

My Commerzbank branch in Berlin is also shockingly presumptive. The same thing has happened to me. Did you ask to take cash out whist you were there to cover you over? 

@fraufruit do the free cards come with an account for Commerzbank or with Commdirekt?

I think the free card thing (outside of charges for replacement cards) is associated with online accounts mostly

or at least they were last time I was shopping for a bank.  Oh though some will give you the first year fee-free on the credit card, then suddenly change your terms to include an annual fee :/

by and large German banks SUCK

I can speak well of Ing DiBA and DKB though.  no surprises with them in the last couple of years.

DiBA is way more friendly in the customer service area.

Just now, lisa13 said:

@fraufruit do the free cards come with an account for Commerzbank or with Commdirekt?

I think the free card thing (outside of charges for replacement cards) is associated with online accounts mostly

or at least they were last time I was shopping for a bank.  Oh though some will give you the first year fee-free on the credit card, then suddenly change your terms to include an annual fee :/

German banks SUCK

I agree with you German banks SUCK.

There are so many banks here, and they don't seem to compete each other.

Banking is expensive. They keep our money in their pockets, and we have to pay them!

6 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

do the free cards come with an account for Commerzbank or with Commdirekt?

I'm sorry, the online one. Many banks have closed most of their brick and mortar banks. Not very convenient any more.

I thought everyone did online banking these days. My bad.

6 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

My Commerzbank branch in Berlin is also shockingly presumptive. The same thing has happened to me. Did you ask to take cash out whist you were there to cover you over? 

They do not have a lot of branches, and it will take me time to get there. Friday they closes at 2pm!

Anyway, I do not like to go out for personal things during work hours.

They told me "We will give you money as much as you need."  Ridiculous, whose money is that?!!

I will borrow money from a friend.

5 minutes ago, SmurfLee said:

They keep our money in their pockets, and we have to pay them!

yes - but you'll be happier if you get over it ;)

I think you'll be better off going with an online bank but it might be nice to have some option for brick and morter service.  I think commdirect is the only one that offers the advantages of a purely online bank, but also allows a branch visit now and then.

2 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

yes - but you'll be happier if you get over it ;)

I think you'll be better off going with an online bank but it might be nice to have some option for brick and morter service.  I think commdirect is the only one that offers the advantages of a purely online bank, but also allows a branch visit now and then.

I do not see commdirect in Heidelberg.

Yes. For example, we can go to a very inconvenient Commerzbank if we need a few grand in cash. No problem, doesn't happen but once every couple of years maybe.

Just now, SmurfLee said:

I do not see commdirect in Heidelberg.

no - commdirect is the online version of commerzbank - you would visit one of the commerzbank offices

1 minute ago, fraufruit said:

Yes. For example, we can go to a very inconvenient Commerzbank if we need a few grand in cash. No problem, doesn't happen but once every couple of years maybe.

right but it's POSSIBLE.

ING and DKB have like...one branch each in all of germany or something silly like that ;)

6 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I thought everyone did online banking these days. My bad.

Bricks and mortar banks such as Commerzbank still offer safety deposit boxes for customers. 

3 minutes ago, Kommentarlos said:

Bricks and mortar banks such as Commerzbank still offer safety deposit boxes for customers. 

Right. I hadn't thought of that. We have a fireproof safe at home.

Diba used to pay better interest. Don't mind them not having a brick and mortar place - we can just transfer money over to Commdirect if needed.