Mutterschutz for partner?

4 posts in this topic

Hi Everyone,

This might be a strange question, I tried searching for an answer but couldn't find one...

I am in early stages of pregnancy. I know that I can't be fired from my job no matter what because there is Mutterschutz.

But my partner is starting a new job soon, and I am wondering when he should inform his employer and if he has any kind of protection so that they don't fire him because of my pregnancy? He might want to take a couple months of Elternzeit when I have the baby, which I'm not sure the new employer would like... 

Thanks

No you partner has no protection, but there is no need for him to inform the employer of your pregnancy.   It is a private matter and the employer does not need to know if you don't want them to.

I assume that you are worried about him being fired if he asks for Elternzeit during the probationary period, when you can be fired without reason.  The solution is simply not to inform the employer during this period.  This will last only 6 months, and he needs only to apply for Elternzeit a few weeks before he wants to take it.  So he can inform them after the probation period is over and still have sufficient time if he wants to take this directly after the birth.

Thanks!

But if he starts the job in mid January, and I have the baby in July, he might have to tell them while he is still in the probationary period... I hope there won't be any problems... 

6 hours ago, rmgl said:

Thanks!

But if he starts the job in mid January, and I have the baby in July, he might have to tell them while he is still in the probationary period... I hope there won't be any problems... 

From 8 weeks before the elternzeit starts he cannot be fired. He has to apply for elternzeit 7 weeks before it starts. So that leaves 1 week where it is safe to apply. Before that he doesn't need to (and probably shouldn't) mention elternzeit