Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Luxembourg is set to become the first country in the world to abolish all fares on public transport.

4 posts in this topic

Luxembourg is set to become the first country in the world to abolish all fares on public transport.

While rail travellers in Britain prepare for tickets to cost 3.1 per cent more in 2019, Luxembourg is set to become the first country in the world to abolish all fares on public transport. 

A new coalition government is taking office in the Grand Duchy with the promise of abolishing tickets on trains, trams and buses next summer.

At present fares are capped at a low level: €2 for up to two hours of travel, which in the small nation covers almost any journey.

I can imagine the cost of maintaining ticketing infrastructure is hardly offset by those ticket prices.

I've said this more than once including here this week.   This is the way it will go in many places, especially those that already heavily subsidise it and so have relatively low pay at point of use, and are not exactly short of money and so might see it as worth prioritising - so obviously places like Lux.   I mentioned reading that a town here is going to be doing it Saturdays soon - since then reminded that it's Aschaffenburg.   

2 minutes ago, swimmer said:

I mentioned reading that a town here is going to be doing it Saturdays soon

What about people who buy weekly, monthly or annual tickets? Will the price of those be reduced?