De register car a day after selling it?

19 posts in this topic

Dear All,

I have found a few threads on related topics albeit very old ones and not quite my situation, hence the new thread...

I plan to trade in my current car while purchasing a new one from a dealer. The plan is to drive to the dealer (100 kms away) in the current car and then drive back with the new one. I understand I should de-register my old car asap but can it be done a day or two after I have sold it?  This way I have a chance to drive back to Munich and then do it the next day while I register the new one. Or, will I have broken the law by selling it before de-registering, even if only by a day or two?  Or is there no law and I am just being silly?

Also, I plan to get temporary car insurance here in Munich (for the drive home) and then the dealer will organise a 5 day temporary registration so that I can drive it back legally.

Will this work and has anyone else done this?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. 

You can just sell the car and the buyer has to de-register it.   The buyer signs the forms you can send to your insurance.   If you want to de-register it yourself then you still need the papers from the car which you will have to mail later on.   Since the buyer is a dealer just ask them how they want to proceed and decide if you agree with that.

Yep... As your dealer.

It may be the case that you can keep the plates and register the new vehicle with them.

If you wait an few hours, I am sure 2B will be along with a reply that would have taken me 65 weeks to type... :wub:

I don't know if there is a law but in any case do not leave the plates on the car. A coworker told me he once sold a car with the plates on it. The buyer promised to de-register the next day. He didn't though. The address he had given turned out to be made up. The seller talked to the police and his insurance and they said sorry but you shouldn't have left the plates on and you are now responsible for the car and what the buyer does with it, fines etc. He said it took 3 months before the buyer finally decided to de-register the car 

15 minutes ago, LeonG said:

I don't know if there is a law but in any case do not leave the plates on the car. A coworker told me he once sold a car with the plates on it. The buyer promised to de-register the next day. He didn't though. The address he had given turned out to be made up. 

He's buying a new car from dealer. And I don't suppose they're obscure street vendors from distant lands. 

Thanks Gents! My plan of attack is coming together slowly...I hope it works. Here it is so far:

I drive to the dealer in current car > make the deal > we both go to the zulassungsstelle to get 5 day registration for the new car and de-register the old car > I send the temp reg details to the temp insurance company to make sure I am covered > I notify the old insurance company that its de-registered and that I am no longer responsible for it >  then I drive back to Munich in the new car and hope that I didn't forget anything. 

Zulassungsstelle is both for registering and de-registering right? So this should work. Question is, will I be able to de-register a Munich registered car in another location / town / municipality? 

Edit: I just found three different sites that confirm I can de-register in another location or town.  Absolutely brilliant! 

3 hours ago, Mr Paxton said:

I drive to the dealer in current car > make the deal > we both go to the zulassungsstelle to get 5 day registration for the new car and de-register the old car > I send the temp reg details to the temp insurance company to make sure I am covered > I notify the old insurance company that its de-registered and that I am no longer responsible for it >  then I drive back to Munich in the new car and hope that I didn't forget anything. 

Very good. There's just a slight change in the order required to make it work.

I drive to the dealer in current car > make the deal > I send the temp reg details to the temp insurance company to make sure I am covered (you need their electronic code number [eVB] before you can get a temp reg) > we both go to the zulassungsstelle to get 5 day registration for the new car and de-register the old car > I notify the old insurance company that its de-registered and that I am no longer responsible for it (your old insurance company will not cancel your coverage without notification from the de-registering Kfz-Zulassungsstelle - which should be done automatically*) >  then I drive back to Munich in the new car.

*Along with official notification to the Bayerische Finanz Ministerium of the end of your liability for the KFZ-steuer on the de-registered vehicle.

Just curious - did your existing insurer not offer you a competetive enough quote or why are you not using them to provide the temp cover?

Usually whoever issues temp cover will credit the cost against the annual premium for the future policy and, unless you've been dissatisfied by their peformance so far, the time of changing vehicles is often when insurers are most keen to keep their clients on board.

2B

15 hours ago, SpiderPig said:

If you wait an few hours, I am sure 2B will be along with a reply that would have taken me 65 weeks to type... :wub:

hahaha! :D I saw the OP's post yesterday already, but it's the UK Snooker Championship week and some of us have to stick to lifes more serious priorities!

2B

7 hours ago, Mr Paxton said:

we both go to the zulassungsstelle to get 5 day registration for the new car and de-register the old car

You can usually save the hassle of going there in person as most dealers will offer to do this for you if you give them power of attorney.

52 minutes ago, jeba said:

You can usually save the hassle of going there in person as most dealers will offer to do this for you if you give them power of attorney.

True, but then he'd have to give them a magic carpet (woven from €€€s) to transport his current car 100km to their dealership and his new car 100km back from there with.

:rolleyes:

2B

1 hour ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

True, but then he'd have to give them a magic carpet (woven from €€€s) to transport his current car 100km to their dealership and his new car 100km back from there with.

:rolleyes:

2B

Or he could sit and wait at the dealership and focus on more important things like browsing TT

10 hours ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

Very good. There's just a slight change in the order required to make it work.

I drive to the dealer in current car > make the deal > I send the temp reg details to the temp insurance company to make sure I am covered (you need their electronic code number [eVB] before you can get a temp reg) > we both go to the zulassungsstelle to get 5 day registration for the new car and de-register the old car > I notify the old insurance company that its de-registered and that I am no longer responsible for it (your old insurance company will not cancel your coverage without notification from the de-registering Kfz-Zulassungsstelle - which should be done automatically*) >  then I drive back to Munich in the new car.

*Along with official notification to the Bayerische Finanz Ministerium of the end of your liability for the KFZ-steuer on the de-registered vehicle.

Just curious - did your existing insurer not offer you a competetive enough quote or why are you not using them to provide the temp cover?

Usually whoever issues temp cover will credit the cost against the annual premium for the future policy and, unless you've been dissatisfied by their peformance so far, the time of changing vehicles is often when insurers are most keen to keep their clients on board.

2B

2B, thanks for rearranging my plan! ;)

The "official notification to the Bayerische Finanz Ministerium ", is that something I have to do or is that also done automatically upon de registering  at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle?   Also, I only get the EVB code with the "offer" from the insurance company, correct? 

My current insurance company wont deal with temporary insurance for some reason, however I will be sticking with them for the permanent insurance. So I went to another company called Verti who promised free temp insurance as long as I signed up for permanent afterwards, otherwise it would be 75 euros for the temp.

I don't trust them though and the guy just seems like he wants a quick sale and the offer he sent says nothing about temporary insurance. So I am still stuck for temp insurance. Its funny as I thought this being a "motoring" nation, and many sales going on, that temp insurance would be available everywhere. Even the UK has at least 4 companies that do it. 

Temp insurance is available everywhere ,.. online.   I never had an issue, and always received the electronic number on the spot.   No need to talk to anyone.

5 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Temp insurance is available everywhere ,.. online.   I never had an issue, and always received the electronic number on the spot.   No need to talk to anyone.

Hi Krieg, I have looked high and low on the internet and all I have found is temp insurance for test drives where the maximum cover is 1000 euros or something and it is only valid for test drives.

I did find one other company  https://www.ksm24.de/KZK_Kurzzeitkennzeichenversicherung.html but they give you the licence plates also (printed ones! lol) and I guess this wont work if I am registering at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle. But at the same time, these people might cover both the registration and the insurance. 

Can you please give me a few links for the temp insurance that you know of? I have looked honestly, so not being lazy ;)

5 minutes ago, Mr Paxton said:

Can you please give me a few links for the temp insurance that you know of? I have looked honestly, so not being lazy ;)

Just google "autoversicherung kurzzeitkennzeichen" and start from there.   The insurance should cost you around 50 EUR.

47 minutes ago, Mr Paxton said:

The "official notification to the Bayerische Finanz Ministerium ", is that something I have to do or is that also done automatically upon de registering  at the Kfz-Zulassungsstelle?

German Finanzamts will only cancel, adjust or start a Kfz-steuer account in response to a notification from an official Kfz-zulassungsstelle. The process should happen automtically and 99.9% of the time it will. If your bank account does not reflect that the FA has made the appropriate adjustment by the end of January (in this case) it could be useful to have made sure to collect and retain your copy of the de-registration papers.

47 minutes ago, Mr Paxton said:

Also, I only get the EVB code with the "offer" from the insurance company, correct? 

My current insurance company wont deal with temporary insurance for some reason, however I will be sticking with them for the permanent insurance.

As @Krieg said, you can get an eVB code from any (and I would say IME as a former car dealer every) German motor insurance provider by phone or internet. It will only take effect (and initiate a contractual payment libility) if it is actually presented to and entered into 'the system' by an official Kfz-Zulassungsstelle.

I would call your current motor insurers' regional or head office and ask them why your POC in their company is refusing to issue you with an 'elektronik Versicherungs bestätigung' for your new car. It seems to me they have misunderstood sth or were blowing smoke.

2B

9 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Just google "autoversicherung kurzzeitkennzeichen" and start from there.   The insurance should cost you around 50 EUR.

What the hell? I must have been using the wrong German terms for it. Now I see, they are indeed everywhere. And the green card is only required if going out of Germany, correct? They all seem to give the option of green card or no green card.

46 minutes ago, Mr Paxton said:

And the green card is only required if going out of Germany, correct? They all seem to give the option of green card or no green card.

Yes, but only a few countries recognize the German short term plates.  I think Austria, Italy and Denmark.   I might be wrong about which countries exactly, but that's easy google-able.

On 12/7/2018, 11:56:00, 2B_orNot2B said:

German Finanzamts will only cancel, adjust or start a Kfz-steuer account in response to a notification from an official Kfz-zulassungsstelle. The process should happen automtically and 99.9% of the time it will. If your bank account does not reflect that the FA has made the appropriate adjustment by the end of January (in this case) it could be useful to have made sure to collect and retain your copy of the de-registration papers.

As @Krieg said, you can get an eVB code from any (and I would say IME as a former car dealer every) German motor insurance provider by phone or internet. It will only take effect (and initiate a contractual payment libility) if it is actually presented to and entered into 'the system' by an official Kfz-Zulassungsstelle.

I would call your current motor insurers' regional or head office and ask them why your POC in their company is refusing to issue you with an 'elektronik Versicherungs bestätigung' for your new car. It seems to me they have misunderstood sth or were blowing smoke.

2B

I called the insurance company directly this time (as opposed to using the broker) and they confirmed that "they will make an exception" about the temp insurance. They will send me the EVB for the temp registration and then another one for the permanent registration. I really had to push them to get them do it though.