Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Do I wish people a happy St. Nikolaus?

11 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am quite excited for my first German Christmas season. Being very far from home, my German boyfriend's family has very much become my family and as such I will be spending a lot of time immersed in German traditions. (I have to write a German Christmas poem and recite it to receive gifts on the 24th for example)

The first odd one is tomorrow. St. Nikolaus.

So, I just want to know does anyone know what you say on St. Nikolaus to other people? Thought it would be a fun surprise to say the right thing without asking the obvious source.

Any assistance, or experiences with the Christmas season in Germany would be greatly appreciated.

:) 

You might need to be a bit more specific about where you are. Up here there are no special Sprichwörter but there might be in Bayern or whatever.

It's a nice thought, you seem like someone who will enjoy all that Germany has to offer.

Don't forget to put your shoe outside the door tonight!

7 hours ago, SpongeOver said:

Being very far from home, my German boyfriend's family has very much become my family

Then you are fortunate

and as such I will be spending a lot of time immersed in German traditions. (I have to write a German Christmas poem and recite it to receive gifts on the 24th for example)

I've never heard of the poem thing.  To prevent that happening again next year do it in your native language...

It's common in Bayern, and it used to be a custom in the US, that children on company occasions recite a poem, sing a song, or play an instrument.  The intention is not just entertainment, but an opportunity for the little ones to gain confidence.

Not quite the same, but the Sunday School's Christmas performance when I was almost five, was similar.  We all had to do something, and I recited The Night Before Christmas. Another little girl I knew of sang all of My Grandfather's Clock at my grandmother's Methodist Circle meeting.

14 hours ago, HEM said:

I've never heard of the poem thing.  To prevent that happening again next year do it in your native language...

No, I like things like that. It's total immersion for me. :) Besides, no one would understand either of my native languages.

5 hours ago, katheliz said:

It's common in Bayern, and it used to be a custom in the US, that children on company occasions recite a poem, sing a song, or play an instrument.  The intention is not just entertainment, but an opportunity for the little ones to gain confidence.

I think it's more of a family tradition. You have to say a poem to get your gifts. Perhaps the grandparents come from Bayern. 

Thank you for the insight.

44 minutes ago, SpongeOver said:

Besides, no one would understand either of my native languages.

That would be the whole point!

1 hour ago, HEM said:

That would be the whole point!

:D that could be fun, but I am shy speaking languages that people don't understand on command. It's like: "Do a trick!"

I can not recall any special Nikolaus greeting (RLP).

Others that might be helpful in the next few weeks.

Before Christmas: Schöne Feiertage or Ein frohes Fest

On Christmas: Frohe/Fröhliche Weihnachten

Just before New Year's: Einen guten Rusch

In the first week of January: Prost Neujahr / Ein frohes neues Jahr

Enjoy the season! Don't forget to sample Glühwein (careful though, very potent) and maybe get in on the Plätzchenbacken. It's possible your bf's family has traditions regarding cookie baking and it should be fun

8 minutes ago, maxie said:

Enjoy the season! Don't forget to sample Glühwein (careful though, very potent) and maybe get in on the Plätzchenbacken. It's possible your bf's family has traditions regarding cookie baking and it should be fun

We've already baked and decorated cookies together. His parents, aunt and uncle and some of his parents friends got together and we baked, decorated and drank Gin Tonic :) The cookies were shared between everyone who were helping and are super yummy!

Loving this time of the year already. :)