Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rental property: Demand in villages close to Augsburg (30km radius)

6 posts in this topic

Good Morning Toytown!

I've inherited a largeish property, 6HA, with a small house that needs some attention, in a small village +- 30 km outside of Augsburg. To the north, Landkreis Aichach. The land has been in my family for 4 generations. My great-grandparents, who were bankers in Augsburg, bought the land and raised the house to avoid the bombing in WW11. Up until 2015, my grandmother lived in the house, before getting too old and moving into a state home. I currently live outside of Germany and hold EU citizenship through my grandfather, who is from Greece. 

Since then – the house has stood empty. It is very solidly built, charming and in great condition. We are in the process of redoing the sewerage works, to go off of the grid. The kitchen could do with an upgrade too. We have close family in the neighbouring village and I make a point of coming out to the place at least once a year. I've been visiting that part of Bavaria for the last 20 and my father, for the last 50.

This land and this house are of enormous sentimental value to our family and we would hate to have to let it go. Since my grandmother's passing, the house has stood empty and besides our annual visits, and the family dropping in, we have yet to make a plan. So! What I would really like to figure out is the viability of renting the property out. Is there a market for long-term rentals in the region? Leases of at least 12 - 24 months? What are people spending? What are the legalities that I would need to start familiarising myself with in order to turn this project into a reality?

Any advice, input or ideas would be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you in advance!

Michael

8 minutes ago, MichaelZA said:

Is there a market for long-term rentals in the region? Leases of at least 12 - 24 months?

By German standards, this is not long-term, but short-term. :) 

8 minutes ago, MichaelZA said:

What are people spending?

I suggest you go to www.immobilienscout24.de and see how rents are in general and for comparable properties in that area. You can enter the exact address and then expand the search radius bit by bit. 

Just to add, we had friends who wanted to get out of Munich and moved out that way several years ago. They rented a small single family house on about a half acre of property for long term. It is certainly possible. The level of renovation will be crucial to how much money you will get, of course. If it is rather secluded, some rich person might want it for a hidey hole out of the city.

Housing is hard to find these days in Bayern. I think you'll have no problems renting it out. I am in Landsberg and the rental prices are going for around €10/m'. 

9 hours ago, fraufruit said:

Just to add, we had friends who wanted to get out of Munich and moved out that way several years ago. They rented a small single family house on about a half acre of property for long term. It is certainly possible. The level of renovation will be crucial to how much money you will get, of course. If it is rather secluded, some rich person might want it for a hidey hole out of the city.

Thanks for the input! At this point, it is really not a matter of generating a large amount of income, as much as it is a matter of utilising the property, productively – as opposed to having it stand fallow. 

It is great to hear that people do make the move out into that part of the world! And yes, the property is very much secluded – it actually sits just outside of the village, in between a pine plantation and virgin (untouched and untouchable) forest

13 hours ago, someonesdaughter said:

By German standards, this is not long-term, but short-term. :) 

I suggest you go to www.immobilienscout24.de and see how rents are in general and for comparable properties in that area. You can enter the exact address and then expand the search radius bit by bit. 

Super! Thank you so much for the pragmatic and insightful response! I've had a good kick around immobilienscout24 and it is definitely a very useful resource!