Ingolstadt - Recommendations for neighbourhoods

6 posts in this topic

Hi All, 

I am in the process of moving to Ingolstadt for work. 

It seems like a relatively small city, but I am trying to establish the neighbourhoods and which ones are good and which ones are not so good. 

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I've tried searching this forum but didn't find anything suggesting neighbourhoods 

Also it seems that https://www.immobilienscout24.de is the go to in terms of rental property, is this correct?

Cheers. 

It's the one almost one everyone uses. Other similar sites are clones, but postings tend to be spread across multiple sites anyway.

If you want something 'good', be prepared to shell out a little cash. You can pay an agent, but this can get very pricey indeed. You can ask to be put on a list from immo agencies, though IME it's usually the smaller one man/woman operations who do this.

What has ALWAYS worked out best for me is placing ads in German newspapers. Depending on newspaper size and how often it was printed, this has ranged from 15 to 70€. I consider it well spent and it's much cheaper than an agent. Double check the standard abbreviations, and get a German friend to review it for you. By placing an ad, you get private landlords or people looking for Nachmieter who don't necessarily want to deal with hordes of online questions or visit requests, etc. It's like paying to get to the front of the line.

thanks alderhill, this is very interesting and useful . 

Different to what I am used to in the UK. 

I'm hoping someone local can at least tell me which areas to avoid in Ingolstadt, if there is such a thing?

Newspaper option is a good shout, I will explore further. 

Cheers 

Ingolstadt comes second in Germany's best cities list, behind Munich.   So it's probably not really got any, probably one less desirable one at absolute max.   You can definitely use proxies from sites like immoscout - most obviously rental rates (Euro per sq m).   The market will tell you what you need to know, in other words.    That site also has other information on locales.  Your employer can probably tell you too.

Thanks Swimmer, I never knew Ingolstadt was rated so highly! Was this an expat view or general?

starting to feel even better about moving to Ingolstadt now !

This is the best-known more economically-focussed ranking.    For people not in the area, we might know it for this and obviously Audi, and its recent division one football team (struggling this season).    Seems to be almost 40% foreign background (Turks, former Yugoslavs, southern Europeans etc) as is typical of many successful cities in this area, we practically make the population, we are it.

https://www.wiwo.de/politik/deutschland/staedteranking/