Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

May to June 2019 - German exposure for 6 year old - Recs pls!

4 posts in this topic

I will be in Munich for 2 months - May and June 2018 - with my 6-year-old son. I'm looking for opportunities 

to expose him to German so he will learn basic communication.  He is exposed (a bit) to basic German from me already,

and we're looking for some sort of immersion. If it makes a difference, he is both a Portuguese and American citizen.

And we are willing to pay, since American private schools are quite pricey, too.

We would be close to the Theresienstrasse Ubahn station.

If anyone has any recommendations for day, afternoon, evening, or weekend opportunities (pretty much any time!), I'd be so appreciative!

- Ideally, he'd join a kindergarten or some sort of play group.  My initial request for a space in a kindergarten has not been successful.

- Or maybe a group for German parents wanting early English exposure to their kids? Not sure how so find such a group...

- Or just an organized play group? 

- Or after-school classes (art, karate, anything else)?

Thanks in advance! 

Terri

2 hours ago, ThreeTs said:

- Ideally, he'd join a kindergarten or some sort of play group.  My initial request for a space in a kindergarten has not been successful.

There is a serious lack of Kindergarten places in Germany, so the chances of them taking somebody who is only in the country for 2 months is slim.

- Or maybe a group for German parents wanting early English exposure to their kids? ...

If you want your child to get German exposure then they need to be immersed 100% in German, which means that other kids will not get any English exposure, otherwise it will not work.

I will be in Munich for 2 months - May and June 2018 - with my 6-year-old son. I'm looking for opportunities 

to expose him to German so he will learn basic communication.  He is exposed (a bit) to basic German from me already,

and we're looking for some sort of immersion. If it makes a difference, he is both a Portuguese and American citizen.

Olá! 2 month German language immersion is an illusion. You will just stress out your kid.

Boa sorte!

There are loads of kid-oriented activities and performances in munich which could expose your son to German without the pressure and stress associated with having to communicate very much in return.

and of course there are plenty of playgrounds where he could interact directly with other kids his age.  You might also want to contact an org like the goetheinstitut to see if they offer or can point you to any structured German classes for kids.

in the meantime, start exposing him to more basic German, yourself!