A permanent solution to prevent pregnancy - Berlin

72 posts in this topic

@alderhill there is a huge difference between artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization (and intrauterine insemination is yet another technique)

using the terms interchangeably and lumping all of them together is a mistake.

Tune into Chimera, BBC Radio 4 for the ultimate nightmare scenario of AI and cloning.

2 hours ago, lisa13 said:

@alderhill there is a huge difference between artificial insemination and in vitro fertilization (and intrauterine insemination is yet another technique)

using the terms interchangeably and lumping all of them together is a mistake.

Ja klar. There are different types, but I think we're all on the same page so far.

1 hour ago, optimista said:

Tune into Chimera, BBC Radio 4 for the ultimate nightmare scenario of AI and cloning.

Didn't listen yet, but looks neat. 

I read recently about a similar topic... The main problem (so far at least) being that often there isn't any one single 'smart gene' or what have you, but tangled constellations of genes that result in what we term quality X, but also varying fraction of qualities Y, Q, M and B. So changing a few genes segments here or there might make you give you better memory, conceptualization of 3D space, or quick muscle reflexes, but could negatively impact a half dozen other things. AI is not yet as smart as often believed. In many respects, we're still at the 'let's switch this wire and see what happens' stage.

14 hours ago, jeba said:

Sometimes it works too well so you´ll be blessed with twins, triplings...

Indeed. I was surprised how many twins are in Germany, at least in my area of NRW, but maybe that has to do with some choosing to have kids later and needing some hormonal help or invitro? The twins I see have parents in I would guess their 40s.

4 minutes ago, cybil said:

Indeed. I was surprised how many twins are in Germany, at least in my area of NRW, but maybe that has to do with some choosing to have kids later and needing some hormonal help or invitro? The twins I see have parents in I would guess their 40s.

I have observed the same here in Munich. Double blessings.

Hello OP,

I am a new Mom as of September, I just turned 35 and birth control/sterilization are all the rage in my Mothers' groups/boards.

As others have said:

Contraception is not covered by insurance in Germany 

Doctors willing to provide a complete sterilization on someone under 35 are difficult to find (with good reason)

Like yourself I also wouldn't get an IUD due to placement problems. So why not a long term implant solution like Nexaplan? A birth control implant which can last up to five years. You could with medical supervision ride a couple of those out until menopause.

I wouldn't get something so long term and hormonal but that is all due to my own biological situation and wishes (back to condoms and 'Vatican roulette' for us! :) )

from the very first post OP says she doesn't want to use hormonal contraception

@MattR - that is a great link - I'm shocked that one report for a doc in Germany says it costs about 600 euros:

"Dr. Robert Kampmann im St. Josef Hospital in Troisdorf, Germany.

• Klinikum Worms, 67550 Worms, Frauenklinik (Prof. Hitschold): Sterilization for women available through their "ambulantes Op-Zentrum", age/number of children irrelevant, not covered by German insurance (around 600€), call the secretary of Prof. Hitschold to make an appointment."

30 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

from the very first post OP says she doesn't want to use hormonal contraception

@MattR - that is a great link - I'm shocked that one report for a doc in Germany says it costs about 600 euros:

"Dr. Robert Kampmann im St. Josef Hospital in Troisdorf, Germany.

• Klinikum Worms, 67550 Worms, Frauenklinik (Prof. Hitschold): Sterilization for women available through their "ambulantes Op-Zentrum", age/number of children irrelevant, not covered by German insurance (around 600€), call the secretary of Prof. Hitschold to make an appointment."

Indeed it seems very cheap

In Germany contraception has to be paid for unless you are under a certain age. If you really have made your mind up sterilisation maybe the best option. Pro Familia should be able to advise you. I had a friend in the same situation and she really had to go to several gynaecologists before they took her seriously. She is really happy with her choice and has never looked back. I hope you find a good gynaecologist who can help you.

https://www.profamilia.de/themen/verhuetung/sterilisation.html