A permanent solution to prevent pregnancy - Berlin

72 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, KateNatalieB said:

pappanase, thanks! I will do that! I tried to research in German but I tried some weird complicated phrases, and I failed (I do not know German too much) who would of known it might be so simple :D Thank you!

I'd say that any German doctor performing that kind of procedure on a young lady wants to create legal certainty, because the result of the procedure is final and irreversible.

The name of the game is "informed concent", and if your German isn't really good, German doctors will have a problem reaching "informed concent" that is stressable should it ever come to a court case.

It might be better to have that procedure where medical staff can communicate with you about serious matter.

I've been offered consent forms in English for quite a few procedures at hospitals.

Just sayin.

And while I'm at it, seems like they could figure out how to do a reversible procedure for women, too.

Tubal ligations - there is a risk of failure, increased risk of ectopic pregnancy. Reversal rates are good, though decrease with age.

OP-  you need to sit down with your Gynae MD and discuss all the options and possibilities. Good luck.

I wonder why the present IUD is causing pain. Has it moved? Think it would be cheaper, less risky and less invasive to have it replaced.

48 minutes ago, optimista said:

I wonder why the present IUD is causing pain. Has it moved? Think it would be cheaper, less risky and less invasive to have it replaced.

It looks 100 % fine :( The procedure for me was very painful and then it was hurting ever since. :/

Hi @KateNatalieB, I'm a member of a Berlin-based facebook group called Being Women Over 30 Without Kids, and I have to disappoint you, you won't find a doctor to perform a procedure like that on you  before you're 35, and even then, they'd prefer if you had kids already.  This is drawing upon the experiences and histories of hundreds of women in the group who've sought out this type of thing in Berlin (not, however, including me).  The only exceptions I can recall seeing are women who were at a higher risk of serious complications/illness/death in the case of a pregnancy.  

I know this is also not the answer you're looking for, but what about condoms?  They're cheap, more effective than any other non-permanent contraceptive, have a low rate of failure or health-threatening complications, available everywhere, don't require appointments or prescriptions, and ribbed for your pleasure is one of my favorite inventions of the last couple centuries.  Just... awesome.  Condoms can also prolong play and obviously also protect against STDs and studies have suggested that semen against the cervix may indirectly cause or worsen reproductive cancers and other diseases.  

When I was 19 years old I got a prescription for the pill.  I was supposed to start taking them on a Sunday morning.  Sunday rolled around and I held the pill and a glass of water and just stared at them for a good solid couple of minutes before accepting that I wasn't going to go through with it.  You're right not to want to pump your body full of weird foreign hormones.  Eff that noise.  I've been in a monogamous, sexually active relationship for thirteen years and the subject of switching contraceptives hasn't come up once.  (Plus, my guy takes care of the birth control, which also feels like progress somehow).  Any guy you're sleeping with but not serious about should be wearing a condom anyway... because of STDs.  Right?

The only other thing I can think of that's not an IUD would be a diaphragm... No experience with those either I'm afraid and they don't seem to sell themselves tbh.

Good luck to you and think about the jjimmy hats!  Sorry to bang on about it but I always enthusiastically seize any opportunity to extol upon the virtues of condoms...So good, clean, cheap, uncomplicated, and effective; as close to perfect as any method is going to get.  I recommend them for everybody!

I agree that if you could find an IUD that suited you better, they really are a great solution.

problem is, you'd have to find a really good FA, I suspect.

sigh.  they seem to be few and far between (based on vicarious reports)

3 minutes ago, dessa_dangerous said:

Good luck to you and think about the jjimmy hats!  Sorry to bang on about it but I always enthusiastically seize any opportunity to extol upon the virtues of condoms...So good, clean, cheap, uncomplicated, and effective; as close to perfect as any method is going to get.  I recommend them for everybody!

for non-permanent solutions I have to agree with you.  I feel sort of guilty to say it, but I do *really* like being able to enjoy the after cuddles without the mess. 

actually, truth be told, I love it!

I used a diaphragm for years and it was ok (much better than the pill for me) but a bit of a pain.  you have to plan ahead more, and you can't take it out for some time afterwards, it's messier than unprotected sex, you have to look after it, inspect it, etc. meh.

problem with both is they are not fool proof.  a lot depends on skill as well as commitment.  I was very careful, but I also think I've been pretty lucky, too.

Thank you for such a long reply @dessa_dangerous ! This is so nice of you! :)

Oh really? :( This is what I was afraid of. It annoys me so much - I am 100 % certain I do not want to and I will not ever give birth to a child so really what is the point. We really still have a long way to go in respecting women as their own beings, not damn baby machines.

I do not trust condoms enough to be using only them. :( I have been there for some time and I ended up buying tons of pregnancy tests all the time as I was so freaked out. I had some bad experience with it and I do not want to relay only on them. Of course I use them as a protection from STD and such when I am with someone casually, I am not stupid :D

13 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

I agree that if you could find an IUD that suited you better, they really are a great solution.

but is there a huge choice in non-hormonal IUD? As far as I know the choice is prety limited?

2 hours ago, franklan said:

I'd say that any German doctor performing that kind of procedure on a young lady wants to create legal certainty, because the result of the procedure is final and irreversible.

The name of the game is "informed concent", and if your German isn't really good, German doctors will have a problem reaching "informed concent" that is stressable should it ever come to a court case.

It might be better to have that procedure where medical staff can communicate with you about serious matter.

I already went through an OP here and it was all in English and all was good, so I doubt that would be a problem really. All doctors I went to in Germany speak English as it is their second language too and I have never had problems on that part.

9 minutes ago, KateNatalieB said:

but is there a huge choice in non-hormonal IUD? As far as I know the choice is prety limited?

I have no idea what's on the market these days. 

But that's why I think you'd need a really good FA who would take the time to try to identify what's wrong, and evaluate what options there are to make it right.  you might also have some luck researching this yourself...even call your krankenkasse to find out which iud's they will pay for?

I admit I'm jaded - I have a decent FA but even so, his solution for a fibroid is a hysterectomy, full stop. he offers me 1 form and dosage of progesterone, full stop.  there are loads of other options but I really have to find them myself, then coerce or even fight for them.  and my guy is pretty good (on the spectrum from horrible to great)

20 minutes ago, lisa13 said:

even call your krankenkasse to find out which iud's they will pay for?

KK do not pay for contraception at her age.

contraceptives are a far cry from sterilization.

ETA:  oh I SEE - if you're on the pill for acne (ffs) they'll pay for it

RRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

bastards.

You have to pay for abortion unless medically advised too.  But all of these things are means tested so the poor do not have to pay.

yeah I get paying for an abortion yourself IFF you have plenty of very cheap or free ways to prevent pregnancy in the first place.  Yet we all have to pay for the rundfuck.

anyway, @KateNatalieB here are some models you can read up on:  http://www.kupferspirale.info

but without a proper evaluation of WHY your current IUD is hurting you, I'm not sure how you can ensure a better result if you try again.