What happens if you realize your forgot or lost your ticket in a train?

4 posts in this topic

Hi.

Let's say:

1.) You already have a semester ticket. You travel in a regional train. You forgot your semester ticket somewhere in your house. The controller asks you to present it. You can't. 1a.) Do you still have to pay the fine? 2a.) If you have a photo of your semester ticket in your smartphone, will they accept it?

2.) You purchased a ticket but forgot to print it or did not download it into your smartphone. The controller asks you to present it. You can't access the internet. What should you do? 

According to the regs you get fined (dont pay on the spot) then go talk to db and plead your case.  Typically people end up with a reduced fine.

I have seen people argue their way out of it, I have seen people fail and had to pay.

There's so many different variables that it's hard to say that might happen.

My experience of a lost ticket is that at worst I had to pay for another single, but that's on trips costing a couple of Euros.      On the other hand, I've also seen people given very short shrift and of course there's other possible outcomes not just money - like being thrown off at the next stop.   One thing I saw on that route was "oh I forgot my ticket" often got answered with a "but there's a sign on the train door telling you that entry is only with a valid ticket, so you should have checked you had one before boarding".   So the lost / forgot mitigation can have its limits.

On the popular university routes I have done, peak times tended to be regularly checked and nobody without a ticket could expect to get off the hook there.   Those routes are rigorous in my experience.   You could carry a photocopy say, in your usual bag, perhaps?  

I think in general they can distinguish the determined evader,  the one who decided to ignore the rules there and then,  the haphazard ticket dropper, and other variants.   They get trained to read the signs and patterns.

I've been demanded to pay 60 euros 3 times. One guy muttering 'Brexit' as he looked at my passport. I would never have thought that they could be lenient... certainly never shown me any.

One way to get out of it would be to say that you are visiting a friend, you dont have the money to pay on the spot and don't have an address in Germany... of course I'd never advise that but my friend Frank says it works.