Can I drive while I wait to receive a German driving licence?

30 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Steinberg said:

ahhh!...I have a UK licence and address but don't have any other way to show that I was living in UK at time I got the licence. So its a bit tricky.

When I changed my UK licence- the old pink piece of paper, it showed an old address in the UK . One I had not lived in for over 20 years! ( In fact, had not been resident in the UK all that time!)

The accepted it, even added a motor bike, and a temp licence till  my German one came through.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, RedMidge said:

When I changed my UK licence- the old pink piece of paper, it showed an old address in the UK . One I had not lived in for over 20 years! ( In fact, had not been resident in the UK all that time!)

The accepted it, even added a motor bike, and a temp licence till  my German one came through.

Thanks, that sounds hopeful but I also don't have a UK passport which I think would make it easier.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steinberg said:

ahhh!...I have a UK licence and address but don't have any other way to show that I was living in UK at time I got the licence. So its a bit tricky.

When I changed my UK licence- the old pink piece of paper, it showed an old address in the UK . One I had not lived in for over 20 years! ( In fact, had not been resident in the UK all that time!)

The accepted it, even added a motor bike, and a temp licence till  my German one came through.

Oh- I took both UK and Canadian passports with me!

Maybe the Luebeckers more flexible?!!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Steinberg said:

Thanks, that sounds hopeful but I also don't have a UK passport which I think would make it easier.

 

 

I think you will be fine. I exchanged a UK driving licence in Berlin and no one asked me about the address on it. Why would they, there is no equivalent address field on the DE one.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kommentarlos said:

 

I think you will be fine. I exchanged a UK driving licence in Berlin and no one asked me about the address on it. Why would they, there is no equivalent address field on the DE one.  

 

Thanks - I will give it a shot. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I lost my wallet (licence included). Prior to this I was involved in a minor road accident which resulted in a 1 month ban. I had not yet served the ban and so had no licence to hand over to the police.

I applied for a German licence (impossible to get a UK licence now) at the Landratsamt and  handed my copy of the new licence application form in to the police in lieu of an actual licence. I would have been allowed to drive if I were not serving a ban. I chose this time frame to serve the ban as I was leaving the country for 3 weeks

The police were fine with this.

Went back 1 month later to pick up my letter and drove with this.

Went to the Landratsamt and picked up my new German licence which had been waiting for a couple of weeks.

Total cost €26.

German bureaucracy, I love it. Never fails to impress. 

And no one asked about my address.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, RedMidge said:

 even added a motor bike,

Did you use it to ride home? ;)

Same circumstances applied to me. My old paper license was falling to bits.  It had a UK address on from about 15 years ago. They exchanged it with no fuss.  Seems to be some people from the UK have been asked to get their licenses translated. I guess it depends on the clerk dealing with the request.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I, too, am in the midst of this as Germany does not accept Nevada or CA drivers license for easy conversion.  My Driving school , the KVR and ADCA all assure me that it is OK to drive with the Document that the KVR representative gives you when they take your license.   In my best translation ( google) it say's as much as well.  But I printed a copy of my USA DL and Passport to keep in the car as well. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2.4.2019, 12:14:15, Tahoegator said:

I, too, am in the midst of this as Germany does not accept Nevada or CA drivers license for easy conversion.  My Driving school , the KVR and ADCA all assure me that it is OK to drive with the Document that the KVR representative gives you when they take your license.   In my best translation ( google) it say's as much as well.  But I printed a copy of my USA DL and Passport to keep in the car as well. 

Do you mean the initial paperwork when you apply to convert the licence? so far I have been waiting 5 months.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it helps anyone, I applied for the conversion (Texas DL with full reciprocity) as soon as I established residency.  They said I couldn't get my German license until the full 6 months had elapsed but they processed it and I had my license a few days after the 6 months.  It's a weird deal where your license is only good for 6 months but you have to wait until the 6 months has passed to switch it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now