Can I drive while I wait to receive a German driving licence?

15 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

 

I want to exchange my British driving licence for a German one.  I've found out how and where to do it, but I would like to know if I can legally drive about without it while I wait for the German licence to be sent to me.  I understand that I will have to give in my British licence in order to receive a new one.

 

Apologies if this question has been answered before.

 

Best,  James

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Normally they will only take your UK licence when you go in to pick up your new German one. So then you will never be without one.

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm currently in the middle of doing this and when I applied for the change they let me keep my license so I can still use it.  Just to warn anyone hoping in Berlin it will be quick I had my appointment on 11th July and I'm still waiting for notification my German license is ready.  I emailed them and they are still only processing the applications from June.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dj_jay_smith said:

Normally they will only take your UK licence when you go in to pick up your new German one. So then you will never be without one.

 

 

 

Typical of Germany there is no one rule that fits all, some states require you to give up your licence when you make the application but will in turn issue you with a replacement/temporary licence whilst yours is being processed.

 

In Berlin you get to keep your licence until the new one is ready but  they are currently processing licence applications from June 2018, if NRW are as inefficient as Berlin then you could be in for a long wait. 

 

Unless someone can confirm, I don't think the temporary licence is valid outside of Germany so you won't be able to hire cars or in theory drive in another country, but I not 100% sure.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jazzjames said:

I would like to know if I can legally drive about without it while I wait for the German licence to be sent to me.  I understand that I will have to give in my British licence in order to receive a new one.

 

As per the above posts, your local authority may, or may not, allow you to keep your UK licence until they have your German one on hand and the same goes for their practises wrt to issuing a temporary paper as a replacement.

 

Best tip I can think of, after 34 years dealing with German beamtenity and Polizisten in a variety of Länder, is for you to make a couple* of excellent quality copies of both sides of your UK licence on one side of good quality paper and then, should they insist on you handing the original over before your German one is on hand, request (with confidence!) the following.

 

'Please confirm with date and official stamp that this is a genuine copy of my original UK driving licence so that in the meantime I can present that as proof.'

 

"Bitte bestätigen Sie mit datum und amtliche Stempel dass dieses eine echt Kopie meine originale britische Fuhrerschein ist so das ich vorübergehend das beweisen kann."

 

^^That may not represent grammatic perfection but it is close enough for them to understand precisely.
 

*Make one extra for your files in case in the future you ever need proof of having had it.

 

2B

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Munich I had to hand in my Dutch license and waited 4 weeks to receive my German license. I received a piece of paper which was a temporary license only valid in Germany. My Dutch license was sent to BKA for checking it's genuitity. Standard procedure in Munich.

 

@2B_orNot2B: I nominate beambtenity as word of the year :).

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to give up my British license when I applied for a German one, many years ago. It was a real nuisance trying to rent a car without one, they did accept my passport and lots of additional questions/form to fill in at Heathrow but no way could I get a rental car here in Munich despite being a regular/known customer.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the moment the UK is still in the EU, that means that you don´t need to exchange your license.

 

From Bussgeldkatalog.org:

Müssen Sie einen ausländischen Führerschein grundsätzlich umschreiben lassen? Für Bürger aus der EU sowie aus Ländern des Europäischen Wirtschaftsraums (EWR) – zu Letzteren gehören Island, Liechtenstein und Norwegen – gelten hierbei besondere Regeln. Die Umschreibung einer ausländischen Fahrerlaubnis ist in diesem Fall nicht zwingend nötig.

Besitzen EU- bzw. EWR-Bürger einen gültigen nationalen Führerschein, so dürfen sie mit diesem in Deutschland Kraftfahrzeuge der Klasse führen, für welche die Fahrerlaubnis ausgestellt wurde. Einschränkungen können bei den Bus- und Lkw-Klassen bestehen. Eine Übersetzung des Führerscheins ist in der Regel nicht nötig. Sie müssen einen solchen ausländischen Führerschein auch nicht umschreiben lassen, wenn sie einen ordentlichen Wohnsitz in Deutschland begründen.

 

Read, as long as you have a registered address in Germany you don´t need to exchange a license from another EU country.

 

Just realized that I have a Swiss driving license, Curses! Curses! I have to get the damn thing changed.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, slammer said:

Read, as long as you have a registered address in Germany you don´t need to exchange a license from another EU country.

 

Sorry Slammer but that is a little misleading.

 

All EU driving licences have an expiry date which means if you are resident in Germany and your licence is due to expire then you have to exchange it with a German licence.

 

In addition, anyone residing in Germany with a UK licence would be strongly advised to exchange it asap due to Brexit which on a side note really pisses me off.

The UK have said that EU licences will still be valid after Brexit in the UK, why is Germany along with the other 26 EU countries making it so bloody hard for expats. Rant over:angry:

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Sir Percy B said:

 

Sorry Slammer but that is a little misleading.

 

All EU driving licences have an expiry date which means if you are resident in Germany and your licence is due to expire then you have to exchange it with a German licence.

 

In addition, anyone residing in Germany with a UK licence would be strongly advised to exchange it asap due to Brexit which on a side note really pisses me off.

The UK have said that EU licences will still be valid after Brexit in the UK, why is Germany along with the other 26 EU countries making it so bloody hard for expats. Rant over:angry:

 

Got it, let me rephrase, as long as you still have a valid license you don´t need to change it. As to brexit forcing my hand to change the license, I don´t think it would be high on my list of worries in the first aftermath. At least there is no "you-must!" pressure to change.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We changed our English licences over last year as they were expiring.  We got to keep our until the new German licence arrived.  We live in NRW 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/11/2018, 14:04:10, nisaint said:

I'm currently in the middle of doing this and when I applied for the change they let me keep my license so I can still use it.  Just to warn anyone hoping in Berlin it will be quick I had my appointment on 11th July and I'm still waiting for notification my German license is ready.  I emailed them and they are still only processing the applications from June.

 

Just to update this, I have received a letter saying I can collect my new German license from 9th January and hand over my old UK one.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before you hand it over.. make sure they have added ALL the classes of driver entitlement to your new one..

 

If they havent, then tell them you wish to have the entitlement added or retain the old licence.. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now