Are Travel Health Insurances like 'mawista' enough for to apply for an EU Blue Card

4 posts in this topic

I have been staying in Germany since 10.06.2018. I have a residence permit (ICT type) tied to my present employer. 

I want to change my job now. I already got a new employment offer. I want to change my ICT card to an EU Blue Card. As I will be on notice period in the next 90 days, my present employer will cancel my health insurance as I have to travel back to my home country i.e. India.  

I have one question regarding the documents required for application of EU blue Card:

If I apply for Blue card now, as a health insurance proof document, can I subscribe to a travel insurance and provide that as a document ?

I am talking about insurances such as this : https://www.mawista.com/en/health-insurance-for-foreign-nationals-in-germany/stays-up-to-5-years/online-application/

On 27.11.2018, 23:47:00, swapnadip said:

I have been staying in Germany since 10.06.2018. I have a residence permit (ICT type) tied to my present employer. 

I want to change my job now. I already got a new employment offer. I want to change my ICT card to an EU Blue Card. As I will be on notice period in the next 90 days, my present employer will cancel my health insurance as I have to travel back to my home country i.e. India.  

I have one question regarding the documents required for application of EU blue Card:

If I apply for Blue card now, as a health insurance proof document, can I subscribe to a travel insurance and provide that as a document ?

I am talking about insurances such as this : https://www.mawista.com/en/health-insurance-for-foreign-nationals-in-germany/stays-up-to-5-years/online-application/

No, an insurance likeMAWISTA is not suitable for anyone with a main/permanent residence in Germany. It is, as you correctly mention, a travel health insurance only. German law stipulates quite clearly, what kind of health insurance is needed in order to be fully compliant with the legal requirements for all residents. That is either public health insurance or a fully substitutive private health insurance. The latter, in the very strict application of the law, has to be calculated like a life insurance. Hence not only does a travel health insurance not comply, also the vast majority of international health insurances is not in compliance either, because they are NOT calculated like a life insurance at all. 

You can do two things now:

- if you are with a public German health insurance, just keep a formal residence  for the time that you travel back to India. That way your public health insurance will simply continue and be around still, when you come back for your new job and the BlueCard application. That is, of course, if your VISA does allow for that keeping of residence, that is.

- same with a German private health insurance.

Btw: your employer cannot simply cancel your health insurance - make sure you are involved in that and that, provided it needs to be terminated, real termination notice is given to you current health insurance.

Now, if you have a job lined up for your BlueCard application and can show proof of that, a travel health insurance MAY well be sufficient for the first steps back to Germany if the AUSLÄNDERAMT can see that you will get automatically a real health insurance with your new employment anyway. But only in such a case.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.

Hi @Starshollow,

First of all, thanks for your detailed reply! 

I had a private health insurance with Allianz worldwide care from June 2018 (from the time I am in Germany). My current employer is already in process to cancel it, as I am travelling back to India. May be it will be cancelled in another week max. In that case (1) can I subscribe to another private health insurance for the time being just for the sake of applying the blue card? If yes, I think that will be very expensive as I won't be getting the employer's share in the premium. If no, why no? Cause I am no more employed in Germany?

That also brings me to another doubt, (2) after staying in private insurance for 5 months now, can I migrate to public insurance? I heard that changing from private to public is nearly impossible? Does that mean I can never subscribe to a public health insurance again?

Thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, swapnadip said:

Hi @Starshollow,

First of all, thanks for your detailed reply! 

I had a private health insurance with Allianz worldwide care from June 2018 (from the time I am in Germany). My current employer is already in process to cancel it, as I am travelling back to India. May be it will be cancelled in another week max. In that case (1) can I subscribe to another private health insurance for the time being just for the sake of applying the blue card? If yes, I think that will be very expensive as I won't be getting the employer's share in the premium. If no, why no? Cause I am no more employed in Germany?

That also brings me to another doubt, (2) after staying in private insurance for 5 months now, can I migrate to public insurance? I heard that changing from private to public is nearly impossible? Does that mean I can never subscribe to a public health insurance again?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm...then you seem not to have been under a normal German work contract yet, because Allianz WWC would not be applicable for that. That was probably with a group-scheme and thus your employer can indeed cancel it.
Based on that you can currently neither apply for a German private health insurance nor a German public health insurance until you come back and have a real employment for then.

Cheerio

I am a professional independent insurance broker, financial adviser, and authorised advertiser. Contact me.