Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Curtains or Blinds in my new flat

18 posts in this topic

I have just moved into an unfurnished flat. Thanks to help from Toytowners, I have sorted out the Internet Access Problems. Now I turn my Attention to the Windows. I had thought I could do without them, but I was wrong. I Need to shut the  night out in the evenings. So is it blinds or curtains? Note that  I have no drill or anyother such tool and so whatever is recommended must be "Easyfit" design. 

Blinds look the better choice at the Moment. With curtains, I have to fix the curtain rod above the window, then hang the curtains and then get some tie backs, so that the curtains can be Held back from the window.

Blinds look much easier. But am I missing anything?

Thanks

Colin

I don't think you'll succeed in fitting either without a drill - I wouldn't base your choice on that. I'm sure you can borrow one... or certainly buy one for not much.

We have these on our bedroom windows. Easy to install and no drilling. They look nice, too. Can open from top or bottom.

You can order in many fabrics, colors including room darkening if needed.

Thanks fraufruit,

this is just what I am Looking for. But do they Keep the light out so that I can get a good nights Sleep or are they more decorative?

6 minutes ago, colincostello said:

But do they Keep the light out so that I can get a good nights Sleep

Yes, if you order room darkening ones. You can also order ones with silver on the back to reflect the heat out in the summer. Also with extra insulation.

We actually had our first set fitted by a shop where we went to pick out everything. Himself saw how easy it was and ordered our next ones online. They were much, much cheaper, of course.

You just have to get the measurements right if you want to do it yourself. There are instructional youtube videos, I think.

I  went down to my local DIY and what Fraufruit says is true. It is the glass measurments that are important and not the entire window measurments. It seems the blinds I want are klemmfix or something like that. Will try my luck over the Weekend, but after the Rugby.

Colin

It's never a such a good idea to watch England against Australia down the pub and then go home and try to fit some blinds to the window.

6 hours ago, colincostello said:

Now I turn my Attention to the Windows. I had thought I could do without them, but I was wrong. I Need to shut the  night out in the evenings.

I'm sure your neighbours will also thank you.

Flashbacks to the time, as a student, I used a large thin table cloth as a curtain in my 1st floor corner apartment on its large-ish window. Several months later, coming at home at night and realizing I had accidentally left the light on, I noticed that the "curtain" was effectively transparent and stopped absolutely nothing, it was perfectly see through... I did many -- things -- behind that "curtain", had a girlfriend over countless times, got changed, etc. etc. Suddenly all those peculiar looks from the middle-aged lady across the narrow grass alley in the next building over made sense...

5 hours ago, colincostello said:

that I can get a good nights Sleep or are they more decorative?

As mentioned, just get the kind that are thicker/have a coating to stop light coming through.

17 hours ago, colincostello said:

With curtains, I have to fix the curtain rod above the window, then hang the curtains and then get some tie backs, so that the curtains can be Held back from the window.

Blinds look much easier. But am I missing anything?

The alternative would possibly be to hang it with a wire through it and attach it to the wall with hooks, if there's something to attach them to. (There is probably proper name for that equipment).    Setting up in a new build, we've had pretty much the same discussions.   Almost all the others seemed to choose something that attaches to the window.    As well as those shown above, there seem to be more.   

The other obvious thing - eyemask.  That was great while we we setting up.

I have really tall windows / ceilings and didn't feel like getting a drill so I went to IKEA and bought the shower curtain rod which you don't need to drill. I don't know the right word to use but you can adjust the tension on the rod so you can just hang it between two walls. It's simple!

I used tension/shower curtain rods in an apartment I had in uni - fab and very cheap solution if your windows are fairly narrow.

I now have huge windows and want to replace the hardware for my curtains.  Important is that I can pull alllllll the curtains to one side - about 300 cm of window, so the whole span is currently 360 cm to make sure the curtains aren't too bunched up when open.  I can't open the curtains both ways as the other side offers a perpendicular wall right at the edge of the window, so the window is too obstructed if I open the curtains to that side. 

anyway, that pretty much eliminates most rod-style hardware, so I've been thinking of getting some of the ceiling mounted tracks.  Of course I've found plenty of options for those, but if anyone has any first hand experience with durability, strength, etc. I'd love to hear it.  

Ceiling is beton, so I have a bit of angst that even with appropriate anchors, they might start to loosen over time with the weight of the curtains, especially on the side where I leave the curtains when open.  I'm going to go for translucent linen, not heavy drapes, likely 3 panels, maybe 4.  I am also concerned that the curtains don't "catch" on any seams when I'm opening or closing them.  I prefer the type that can be expanded to any length by connecting sections together since installation will be a one person affair, but some seem better at the connection points than others.  

the IKEA version of these is out, for me, as I've read a few too many reviews saying they're really not all that, the connector hardware is cheap, flimsy plastic, and that they do indeed catch on the seams.

I did consider using a shower curtain solution to my window Problem, but it was a last Resort idea. The blinds I have now installed are so much better as they fit the Windows really well