Self owned apartment renovation/structural changes

7 posts in this topic

Dear all,

I bought an apartment that has a huge kitchen and I would like to replann and move the kitchen to living room and made a separate room out of it.


Does somebody know if it requires some approval? Do I need to hire an architect for this kind of work?


Thank you,

Ho

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unsure about the law in Germany, but I would say this is a big "no" in Germany.

At least in Portugal you would need permission from the city hall, a new engineering plan, a new electric plan (also to be approved), a fire department inspection, etc.

 

Unsure what is harder: to requalify the kitchen as a bedroom or to requalify the living room as having a kitchen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hoochwo said:

it requires some approval? Do I need to hire an architect for this kind of work?

 

Anything that interferes with the statics is subject to approval. Both from the building authorities (Bauamt) and from the owners' association. Just because you own an apartment, you are not allowed to do what you want with it. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would first ask your housing management.   As in, it's not their responsibility or decision, but they might have some basics to inform you of.   You could establish some things very fast possibly. (As above, owners will have a say).

 

From personal experience, it's certainly very possible with an initial build (as we recently took ownership of one that had much the differences you set out) but not sure about later.   

 

Much around the positioning of a kitchen seems to be driven by electrical possibilities, as per above reply.  I learned that much :rolleyes:.   There are other things to think about like ventilation.   I am not sure if we are lumbered with an initial design forever, given that lifestyles do change.  People knock down walls and such.   Open plan kitchen diner is popular now.   When I saw pics of my old UK place, the kitchen was completely moved.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can route electricity and water pretty much anywhere. Rerouting the drain from the kitchen sink is much more constrained. That's what killed my plan to do the same.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 20/11/2018, 14:34:19, MikeMelga said:

Unsure about the law in Germany, but I would say this is a big "no" in Germany.

At least in Portugal you would need permission from the city hall, a new engineering plan, a new electric plan (also to be approved), a fire department inspection, etc.

 

Unsure what is harder: to requalify the kitchen as a bedroom or to requalify the living room as having a kitchen.

 

My mother, who lives in Munich, did that very thing with a rental property, so not sure why it would be a problem with an owned property as long the changes are structurally sound.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Herr Schnitzel said:

 

My mother, who lives in Munich, did that very thing with a rental property, so not sure why it would be a problem with an owned property as long the changes are structurally sound.

  • gas installation hazards
  • electric installation hazards
  • water installation hazards
  • proper ventilation
  • ...

 

 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now