German citizenship requirements

2 posts in this topic

I am a non EU citizen married to a German national.

1. How do we register the marriage in Germany? We have a marriage certificate from Denmark.

2. What are the requirements to apply for the German citizenship after 3 years of being married to a German citizen?.

- do I need to be on a specific residence permit for 3 years? For instance if I hold a work permit for 3 years in Germany and I have been married for 2 years is it possible to apply for naturalization/citizenship?

You need to go to your local Standesamt and register the marriage there.  They will tell you what documentation they will require in order to recognise the marriage.  It is best if you go as a couple.

The requirements for citizenship are exactly the same as for anybody else, just that you only need to have been in Germany at least 3 years and married to a German for at least 2 of them rather than the normal 8 years residency.  The other criteria such as taking the Einbürgerung test, German B1 language test, etc. are all exactly the same.  So you can start working towards this now.