Vacation for school aged kids, outside of vacation times

32 posts in this topic

The OP said the kid goes to a private school, so enrollment, at least, will likely not be an issue.

3 hours ago, LeonG said:

As for your plan to do an abmeldung and an anmeldung again, I think it would work.  You tell the school you are moving back to the US.  You come back a month later, enroll the kid again and say that your job you had lined up didn't work out.  It should work.  One time.  Next time, the school will have your plan worked out and they may well notify the jugendamt that you are pulling your kid from school for a mere long vacation.

So you will pay the yearly fees twice? Makes no sense, unless you have a lot of money to waste.

Also some private schools will just reuse the open spot for someone on the waiting list.

2 hours ago, El Jeffo said:

The OP said the kid goes to a private school, so enrollment, at least, will likely not be an issue.

Can be the opposite. Some of these schools have waiting list. I know mine has waiting lists in some of the grades.

27 minutes ago, MikeMelga said:

So you will pay the yearly fees twice? Makes no sense, unless you have a lot of money to waste.

Also some private schools will just reuse the open spot for someone on the waiting list.

Do you think they would make them pay the full yearly fee again after they've already paid? As for the waiting list, I guess it's possible that the space is gone in a month but we are talking about spring and most parents would probably want their kids not to change in the middle of the school year.  However, as you say, no guarantees.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

Do you think they would make them pay the full yearly fee again after they've already paid?

It's very simple: if they don't loose the spot, the school will inform the authorities. If they loose the spot, they loose the fees already paid.

Worst, they could lose the one-time fee to enter the school. As an example, BIS charges 12.000€ as an entry fee.

1 hour ago, LeonG said:

As for the waiting list, I guess it's possible that the space is gone in a month but we are talking about spring and most parents would probably want their kids not to change in the middle of the school year.  However, as you say, no guarantees.

International private schools have kids joining and leaving all year long, as on average a student only stays 3 years.

So the spot could be filled in the same week. 

Its not a good idea unless it would be for more than 3 months or something worth it. I see that I hand not thought it through well. The biggest problem would be losing the spot. I think it depends on the school principal. They are the one that would likely do the reporting anyway. I do know that when we were living in France and took the kids out of the german school because we didnt like it, we did not have any problems. I dont think it was from a lack of reporting on the schools side (they were warning us of the school requirement because we did not uet have a substitute school at that point),but more that we were living in France, so it was frances problem. 

Thanks for the input though. 

59 minutes ago, kspeedy28 said:

Its not a good idea unless it would be for more than 3 months or something worth it. I see that I hand not thought it through well. The biggest problem would be losing the spot. I think it depends on the school principal. They are the one that would likely do the reporting anyway.

Surely you can ask the school how much they will allow in the way of vacation or if you could for example extend the easter vacation your child already gets by one or two weeks.  Then if they say no, so be it.

That's why they have summer camp: with all the boredom of regular school, but none of the education. Just farts and craps - er, I mean arts and crafts - all day long.

Comparing France and Germany is a bit like comparing chalk and cheese.