Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Looking for Coors Light, specifically the "Silver Bullet"

14 posts in this topic

Yes, I know this tastes like cat's piss, but it would be an ideal inside joke for a colleague whose birthday is coming up.

Any idea where one might find this "delicious" beer in Berlin?

I checked online at the US Shop in Tempelhof, but apparently they're currently not stocking the stuff. Thanks in advance to anyone who might have a suggestion!

Or give him a couple of bottles of delicious Berliner Pilsener, it's readily available so no problem sourcing it. Should have the desired effect.

Leads me to put the question, WHY is American beer so awful? The original brewers (from Germany) settled in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and started all these breweries like Miller, Budweiser etc but somehow forgot how to make beer TASTE good.

I know in the UK, we use other ingredients to enhance the taste of bitter, for example, pigs' trotters and tails etc I've heard, but in Germany there are also laws to protect the quality of beer and it doesn't taste half bad.

What has gone wrong in the USA?

1 minute ago, Acton said:

WHY is American beer so awful?

It isn't. Go in a big American store today and the variety of good beers greatly outnumber the old standards - not in quantity maybe but in selection. There are also good beers that have been around for ages that only caught on a few years ago. I was drinking some very good red ales and lagers in my 20's. They weren't easy to find back then but they are now even though they aren't the best sellers. 

I wonder if it has to do with the ABV percentage.  German beers are what on average?  5,2%?  Coors Light is 4,1% ABV.  To me, and I know near nothing on brewing beer, but if I bake a potato and put one grain of salt on it, it won't taste as good as if it had a bit more salt.  Perhaps a bad analogy, but to me at least I can't help but think (and hope!) that the alcohol increases the flavor. Hops, barley, water are the same - nearly.  Other things are mixed in of course like various types of malts and other things I'm sure.

I normally drink a double bock that is 7,2% and I really enjoy the flavour of the beer.  I recently had a Noctus 100 with 10%.  It was incredible.  The flavour was truly remarkable.  Aye, I did feel a wee blootered after the one bottle, but it was also 0,6L.  Also a bit expensive, but I kept the bottle as it was something different.

@Ralf, I looked at the Coors homepage and while they do have a locator function, I believe it only for the US.  Also, it does not have a contact page.  But they do have a Facebook page.  Might be worth writing them a message on FB and see if they have a distributor somewhere in the EU.  Asking costs nothing.

there's this other well-worn stereotype that American beer contains less alcohol than other beers of its kind, or that of Canadian beer, which is patently untrue.  

Most cat's piss beers--including Öttinger et al--contain around 5% alcohol

1 hour ago, BayrischDude said:

Hops, barley, water are the same - nearly.  Other things are mixed in of course like various types of malts and other things I'm sure.

Hops can be radically different, and whilst the barley as such is pretty similar the way it is processed is not and again has massive effects (think guinenes compared to a pils).

Water and yeast I am dubious whether most people can taste a difference but brewers claim so. To the extent that British beers are often made from burtonised water.

Alcohol isn't in my view a significant flavour of beer but it is very important for mouth feel 

Thanks for all your responses!

I swung by the US Shop in Tempelhof on Saturday and they actually had a couple of cans of Coors Light, albeit without the "Silver Bullet" moniker. Also picked up some Lucky Charms "for my kids" while I was there:P

Regarding American beer and why it's so bad, I once read that the Prohibition from 1920 to 1933 put an end to the breweries. Then, after Prohibition was repealed, the US was facing the Great Depression and they used rice instead of barely to brew the beer because it was much cheaper. Apparently they then just stuck with the recipe.

20 hours ago, Ralf said:

Regarding American beer and why it's so bad, I once read that the Prohibition from 1920 to 1933 put an end to the breweries.

Fast forward to 2018 when there is at least one independent brewery in every decent sized town and they ain't using rice.