Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

How to get clips of me playing acoustic guitar

7 posts in this topic

So I would like to get some gigs here in Berlin. Many bars ask to see a few clips of me playing. I don't have them at the Moment.

How do I get these clips?

Get someone to film me and put it on you tube? Or is there something better?

Thanks

Colin

Just have someone shoot you playing in your living room. Or do it yourself with a GoPro or iPhone on a mount or something.

No need to post them to YouTube. You can give them the file(s) on a memory stick/thumb drive or send them through a file transfer service like wetransfer.com

Well, you don't say "film" any more, nor even "video", so "shooting" it is - assuming you don't want someone to snap, instagram, or vime you.

When I lived in the US I used to perform at some acoustic venues - pubs, wine tasting events, etc. I also booked performers for an acoustic concert series. This might help: First, a potential venue often prefers an actual clip of you performing in front of an audience so they can get an idea of how good a performer you are. Some very good musicians or singers aren't good performers - they don't interact well with the audience. The booker wants to know that you can not only play music, but that you can entertain an audience. If you're doing any gigs at all right now, or if you can get to an open mike or something of that nature, have someone film you. Once you've got a few performance clips, consider putting together a basic website that includes some information about what kind of music you perform, where you've played in the past and any bookings you have lined up. You can include some sound clips and the video clips, as well as a few publicity blurbs and photos. Then make up some business cards with your website address so you can give them out and they can have a look at their leisure. Good luck!

I'd probably go with @fraufruit 's recommendation of a digital camera since a GoPro has absolute crap sound unless you've got a lavalier microphone near your source and you need to process the video to get rid of the fisheye (either with their software or maybe VLC does it now).  An open mike night sounds like the way to go and then just cut the video to what you like / want to show.