Apartment hunting and the "no couples" rule

13 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a place to live with my girlfriend and I am sick of seeing ads saying "no couples",  especially when the squared footage of the apartment or the room obviously allows for more than one person. My question to you is: do you think it is legal for people to forbid couples from renting their property? 

Any reply/advice will be much appreciated.

Cheers!

I'm pretty sure that's illegal but not sure what you can do about it.  But where are you finding these ads?  I can't say I ever remember seeing an ad like that in Munich, at least. Yes in the end the landlord can decide not to accept a couple but putting it in the ad itself is pretty bold.

I don't even understand why they would make such a stipulation if the place is truly big enough for two.

The Genossenschaft where we live won't even consider us for a 90 square meter apartment unless we're at least three, which I can somewhat understand, but the other way around? Weird.

Perhaps they're afraid of children entering the equation eventually?

What stops you from applying as a single and then inviting your partner to live with you? As far as I know, no-one can prevent that. It's not clear to me what the owner is trying to avoid.

51 minutes ago, Nitza Mitza said:

Hello everyone!

I am looking for a place to live with my girlfriend and I am sick of seeing ads saying "no couples", 

Do you have an example? I've never seen anything like it before. 

Of course, if it's a WG - a room in a shared apartment - it would be completely justifiable to say "no couples"

It's an interesting one (at least for self-contained aparrtmentsI).   Perhaps it is directed to he growing phenomenon of multiple occupancy, generally?   Could be two mates dividing up a room or whatever.    The modern thing of "someone sleeps in it from 8-4, someone else from 4-12, someone else from 12-8".   That grows with shortages of accommodation.

I only know it is legal when the apartment is very small. We only allow one in our rental. It's in the contract - 26 meters. If he really wants a roommate, the rent goes up.

3 hours ago, Nitza Mitza said:

especially when the squared footage of the apartment or the room obviously allows for more than one person.

It's not always obvious from the total square meterage of an apartment or room whether or not the law would recognize that assumption to be the case.

Regulations to prevent overcrowding are based on formulae which deduct the area of specifically designated parts of any dwelling from the total floor area before the nett area (upon which the legal maximum permissable occupany is counted) applies.

Areas designated in any originally registered floorplan as Kuche, Bad, WC, Abstellraum, Abstelkammer, Diele, Balkon (unless enclosed) do not count as living space.

In apartments or houses in upper floors which have living areas with sloping ceilings then those parts of the living area where the headroom is below a certain height may be reduced by 50 - 75% when the nett usable area is to be, or has been, calculated. 

2B

On 06/11/2018, 14:48:41, deadsoul said:

What stops you from applying as a single and then inviting your partner to live with you? As far as I know, no-one can prevent that.

The OP said girlfriend not wife. Tenants need the approval of the landlord if a non-family member wants to move in.

On 06/11/2018, 14:48:41, deadsoul said:

It's not clear to me what the owner is trying to avoid.

Overcrowding? 

The post is in the Berlin section and it wouldn't surprise me if the OP and his girlfriend are finding it difficult to find the cheap housing they've heard so much about.

It is also not unusual for WGs not to want couples moving into a room together and permanently having a partner around will cause problems with many roommates. 

The following quotes are from the 'Berlin Mietfibel 2016' which is an excellent and informative  16.6Mb !! PDF available from the Familien und Soziales Dezernat on the berlin.de website.

Die Berliner Wohnungsaufsichtsämter
Das Wohnungsaufsichtsgesetz bietet den bezirklichen Wohnungsaufsichtsämtern einige Möglichkeiten, vorhandene Missstände beseitigen zu lassen. Das Gesetz gilt für alle Wohnungen in Berlin.

Natürlich können die Behörden nicht jede einzelne Wohnung regelmäßig auf ihren Zustand überprüfen. Wo allerdings zwingende Vermutungen über Verstöße gegen das Gesetz vorliegen, werden die zuständigen Behörden auch von sich aus tätig.

Zuständig sind die Bau- und Wohnungsaufsichtsämter der Bezirke. Sie können die Instandsetzung von Wohnungen und Wohnräumen anordnen und Maßnahmen gegen Überbelegung und zur ordnungsgemäßen Nutzung von Wohnungen und Wohnräumen treen.

My bolds.

In short, the relevant laws of Berlin apply to every dwelling in the city state and they may be enforced by the responsible department of each of the Bezirks.

In einigen Fällen ist der Wunsch, die Wohnung unterzuvermieten, jedoch kaum durchsetzbar:
wenn die Wohnung zu klein ist und Überbelegung droht oder wenn die gesamte Wohnung untervermietet werden soll.

Keine Untervermietung ist es und bedarf deshalb auch nicht der Erlaubnis des Vermieters, wenn Sie enge Angehörige oder Ihre Lebenspartnerin oder Ihren Lebenspartner in Ihrem Haushalt aufnehmen.

Natürlich müssen Sie eine Überbelegung der Wohnung auch in diesen Fällen ausschließen.

My bolds

In short, it is not possible to sublet a dwelling if there is a risk of overcrowding or(!!) if the entire dwelling is being sublet. Albeit wrt to a close family member or even a life partner a subtenancy is not technically necessary and the consequential permission of the landlord may not be required*, the tenant is still responsible for excluding any risk of overcrowding.

*There are other legal conditions which do apply and may exclude or limit the implications of this quoted extract.

DO NOT take any important decisions based on what you may read in an online forum!

Download the above mentioned PDF and read it diligently.

Especially if you are considering using Airb'n'b or Windu, etc.. Life may become horrendously expensive for Berliners who do so and choose to disregard chapter 8 on the recent Berlin 'Zweckentfremdungsverbot von Wohnungen' legislation!!

If you use Foxit Reader you can convert sections to HTML or Word format and cut'n'paste into deepl.com for translation, or subscribe to the paid version of Foxit Reader and let it be translated in their cloud.

2B