Daily drilling, last 4 years

31 posts in this topic

On Montag, 5. November 2018, sos-the-rope said:

In our apartment building, for the last 4 or 5 years now, there's been drilling. Pretty much daily. Extra on weekends.

Not 100% sure but it seems to come from the apartment(s) on the next floor up.

It's almost always stopped after a short-ish time, or at least, quickly enough that we've been too tired (when it happens at night) to be frustrated enough to go in search of the driller.

4 hours ago, sos-the-rope said:

The sound of grinding concrete is sadly unmistakable.

I couldn't imagine anybody but a dentist need be doing indoor daily drilling for 4 years so, on reading your OP, my first thoughts were about alternative possible causes.

Domestic machines which can emanate powerful drilling-like noise in relatively short bursts include coffee bean or nut grinders and juicers which dont use centrifugal speed but the slow (schneken) screw type extraction method.

I've got one of those which you can feed with relatively large parts of fruit and veggies. Depending on the hardness of the skins, cores or roots it can and does vibrate furiously albeit it remains static on the working surface. Many other types of kitchen machines grind, mix or puree raw or cooked foods and may also cause similar sound output on occasion.

There are numerous medical conditions which can totally prevent people from chewing, swallowing or digesting any form of nutrition which is not prepared like baby food or in fact liquidized. Those suffering from such conditions have no option but to adopt one or other of these methods of food preparation. If they are being supported or sustained by daily carers that process may occur either early or late or, if the carer has more time to prepare some reserve supplies, more often on weekends.

However your reference to the sound of grinding concrete made me wonder if it could be some form of constantly running medical device which, when in alarm status, automatically clears itself of blockages in flow by some horrendous sounding process.

There are folks on the heart transplant waiting list surviving with artificial (bridge-to-life) heart machines, bed-bound kidney dialasys patients, some with lung diseases who could drown without an artificial lung and quadraplegics or victims of severe stroke injuries who are reliant on a combination of such devices.

Rather than speculating about what retaliatory or legal measures it would be most effective to adopt, it may be less stressful for you to take more of a proactive social role in your building and simply start asking your neighbours one by one if they happen to know what the possible cause could be.

Obviously I have no clue what the actual cause is nor the possible motivation of whoever may be behind it, but I do have knowledge of two similar cases IRL where none of the common assumptions wrt cause or motivation applied. 

Here's hoping you find peace and quiet in your future Life in Frankfurt Rhein-Main.

2B

5 minutes ago, 2B_orNot2B said:

take more of a proactive social role in your building and simply start asking your neighbours one by one if they happen to know what the possible cause could be

Couldn't agree more, old Be'en, but then again, you ain't seen our neighbours!

What kind of 'drill in concrete' work can someone above you be doing over 4 years? A sculpture student with a drill going at chunks of stone perhaps? What does the landlord say? Have they ever looked in that apartment? MAybe it's like walking into another terror horrible scene from 'Saw' up there. 

silliness aside, cybil raises a good point which leads me to ask:  is this neighbor drilling into some part of the building (this is pretty obvious as it reverberates all over the damned place) or is it just a drilling sound that is audible but doesn't carry in that special way?

3 hours ago, lisa13 said:

sound that is audible but doesn't carry in that special way?

Like your a vibrator!  :lol:

20 hours ago, BayrischDude said:

Like your a vibrator!  :lol:

I don´t need a vibrator---got the shakes anyway!!! Reminds me of a joke about Parkinson´s and a dirty old man..but forget the punch line..whoops: off to the senility thread!