Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying insect which looks like a cockroach

15 posts in this topic

Hi!

In September and in October, I saw a few of them entering my room and our classroom. They have a strong back like a cockroach and look like a cockroach. They seem to have relatively long legs and they fly. I am pretty sure that they aren't cockroach but I might be wrong. Their size is quite comparable to a cockroach. They tend to be smaller, I think.

One of them landed on my loose-fitting outer garments and I almost had a heart attack. I immediately slapped him down to the ground and stomped him with all I got, ending his idiotic miserable life.

What are the names of these insects?

Could be a Bernsteinschabe. They look very similar to cockroaches and there have been news reports of them ending up in houses this year and freaking out the occupants. Something to do with the hot summer IIRC. They live off leaves and such but are attracted to light. 

So no need to call the exterminator just yet

If it was a stinkbug, and you squished it, you probably found out why they're called stinkbugs. Don't squish, just scoop them up and throw them out the window. Many people will either vacuum them (dumb, they climb out of the machine unless you change the bag), or flush them (also dumb, wasting so much water and money on a bug).

As of yet, they have no natural preditors here in Europe, but like cockroaches, seem to be resistant to everything used to prevent/eradicate them. They have

ruined apple crops, and are just plain ol' nasty things, serving no obvious use (birds won't eat them). You can hear them buzz (they are loud), so can be alerted when they enter the room. Good luck with them. I tend to think of them as someone's bad reincarnation, as they can be a plague.

I agree, best not squish Wanze of any variety as apparently, the stink attracts others.  Easy to get a glass and a thin bit of rigid plastic to trap and put them outdoors. We do that for any insect in the house...even our resident hornet that came into our house as its daily routine.   A big dragonfly was a bit more challenging! This is the type of Wanze that is in our house mostly at the moment...2-3 cm long.  A neighbour told us there's quite a plague this year...

IMG_6236.JPG.a6627d161fb9002147e8458c69d

On 11/9/2018, 9:29:16, food mom said:

As of yet, they have no natural preditors here in Europe, but like cockroaches, seem to be resistant to everything used to prevent/eradicate them.

There are dozens of shield bugs which are native to Europe are harmless and do not damage crops.  We get a lot of the native green ones, but in the autumn they change colour to brown and look more like their invasive cousin.  

None of them look very cockroachy, mind.  

Your original post sounds like you freaked out over one insect and just stamped on it . 

Not a great way to ID what it was.

Cockroaches and (unsquashed) shield bugs look very different. 

a word of caution:  if you have cats (or even dogs), get these critters out asap.  My cat ate one once before I captured it and he landed in the emergency vet clinic for vomiting so profusely 

eta:  a stink bug or shield bug of any sort does NOT look much like a cockroach aside from the fact that it has a hard exoskeleton/shell and 6 legs.

On 05/11/2018, 05:18:20, International Student said:

I almost had a heart attack. I immediately slapped him down to the ground and stomped him with all I got, ending his idiotic miserable life.

Blimey. These things have a right to life. You gonna come back as one if you keep doin' dat.

10 minutes ago, snowingagain said:

Your original post sounds like you freaked out over one insect and just stamped on it . 

no kidding.

what did you think it would do to you?  ffs it's a tiny insect.  grow a pair, brush it off, and let it go on its merry way and you go yours, both of you totally unscathed.

1 hour ago, lisa13 said:

My cat ate one once before I captured it and he landed in the emergency vet clinic for vomiting so profusely 

They can make a pet puke.  But not dangerous to them.  

but he puked repeatedly - he'd drink and puke all of it right back up yet somehow every time it reeked of that damned stinkbug.  This went on for *hours*

dehydration can be deadly :(

Sorry.  Poor thing.  What I meant is that they are not actually poisonous.  An irritant.  But of course prolonged puking or diarrhoea can be dangerous.