Where to exchange money for my Singapore trip?

6 posts in this topic

I need to have a short trip to Singapore. At first, i had decided to pay for everything using my credit card. But i noticed in their immigration website

https://www.ica.gov.sg/enteranddeparting/before/enteranddeparting_before_required

it says that everyone needs to prove:

Sufficient funds for the length of your intended stay

So, i think i need to have some local cash with me (around 400 SGD maybe)  to make sure they don't complain at the entrance gates.

But wondering if it's better to go to the airport exchange service, or should i try my bank (Sparkasse) or any other local exchange shaops here?

15 hours ago, bobMorane said:

Sufficient funds for the length of your intended stay

That is pretty much a standard statement on every immigration website around the world.

You don't need to have sufficient cash, just sufficient funds in your bank.  So if you state that you have a credit card, show it, then that is normally more than enough.  

A person who flies in from a Western country is not normally the sort of person they are looking for and targeting with this.  They want to stop people who are arriving from other Asian and South Asian countries who basically come pretending to be tourists but hoping to get illegal work.  If they suspect this then they could invoke this rule to send them home again.

I have been to Singapore and many other countries and not had a single cent of local currency with me until I arrived, when I then withdrew money from an ATM (which is generally the cheapest way to access foreign funds).

Edit:

BTW:  foreign currency would also be acceptable as "sufficient funds" because you could exchange it when you are there (there are plenty of exchange shops in Singapore).

Yup, no immigration officer will want to see your cash. Just take your EC Karte with you and withdraw from atm after you go through immigration. 

11 hours ago, desdemona said:

Yup, no immigration officer will want to see your cash. Just take your EC Karte with you and withdraw from atm after you go through immigration. 

Does my Maestro EC card work there or i have to rely only on my credit card?

My EC card is from Sparkasse bank

11 hours ago, bobMorane said:

Does my Maestro EC card work there or i have to rely only on my credit card?

My EC card is from Sparkasse bank

It works perfectly, just go to any atm with maestro sign on it. Cc will have higher charges so stick with EC + atm. It’s the cheapest option for cash overseas.