Einbürgerung/Citizenship process Prenzlau berg/Pankow

84 posts in this topic

On 23.9.2021, 17:21:23, MrLuigi said:

@CaptainKurt If you don't mind, could you please share the Lawyer's contact information just to have a quick chat with him/her/they? I am sure mine is almost a lost case but I would like to check if something could be salvaged. Thanks!

sent you a PM. 

Hi everyone,

As an update to my situation on this thread: finally got a "confirmation" from the Bürgeramt in Summer, in the form of returning an application form page with a single missed checkbox. So that was 7 months, and no explicit confirmation that they ever received anything... So in any case I returned that immediately. Nothing since then.

As I mentioned before, but now confirmed... I'm leaving Germany in the coming months, with no current plan to return. Seems pretty unlikely that my application will be processed before Silvester. I'm wondering what on earth happens in this case - I will probably deregister myself, although I was eligible when I applied. May have to talk to an immigration lawyer about this... Can anyone comment?

Thanks

@itsthejib   You're "leaving Germany" and "will probably deregister" and you are "wondering what ... happens".   

I think leaving Germany or deregistering will end your chances at citizenship. 

I also would not be surprised if after the long delay (even though not your fault) the Amt asks for updates on things like income and insurance, which will necessarily again add more time to the process. 

Good luck.

So interesting to read all this. I'm British but had a German passport from birth until I was fifteen (my mother is German) and then, although I never relinquished anything, I stupidly didn't bother

to renew it. I thought I'd never need to! When I moved here in 2013, I simply registered my address as a Brit and thought nothing of it. Now, for the last 22 months, I've been waiting for Rathaus Pankow to complete a 'Staatsangehörigkeitsprüfung', not a full naturalisation process but a piece of paper stating what I already know, that I am German.