Mail forwarding

9 posts in this topic

Hello TT,

I tried search functionality and couldn't find specific answer for similar questions.

If I select 1st option- I understand that Deutsch Post is going to notify the certain sender (or business contact) about my new address so they can update address.

My first question is, will Deutsch Post also forward same mails to my new address? or return the mails back to sender and notify the new address?

My second question is, are those sender/business contacts (eg. Insurance or Bank) obliged to update address by law if they get notification about new address from Deutsch Post?

My first priority to get mails to new address (of course, not all mails will be forwarded).

And then if possible, notify the sender anyway otherwise I will update address by myself.

Thank you for your help.

Mail Forwarding.png

23 minutes ago, Incage said:

My first question is, will Deutsch Post also forward same mails to my new address?

Yes.

or return the mails back to sender and notify the new address?

No.

My second question is, are those sender/business contacts (eg. Insurance or Bank) obliged to update address by law if they get notification about new address from Deutsch Post?

No idea. But it's in their own interest. 

On 20/10/2018, 20:21:06, someonesdaughter said:

Yes.

No.

No idea. But it's in their own interest. 

Hi , I can see you have been supporting this forum for a long time.

No offense, but are you saying this from your experience or from your understanding?

Thanks for your help!

52 minutes ago, Incage said:

Hi , I can see you have been supporting this forum for a long time.

No offense, but are you saying this from your experience or from your understanding?

Thanks for your help!

Both. If you don't trust me call their service hotline:

"Don´t hesitate to call us:

Consumers: +49 2284333111"

https://www.deutschepost.de/en/home.html

On 20.10.2018, 19:57:03, Incage said:

Is your question whether or not this is a reliable machinsm to inform your bank etc, or are you really asking if you can bring a civil case against a bank that does not react to such a notification?

I doubt that they would just silently update their records, that just doesnt seem to me like the german way.  My expectation is that your bank/other institution would attempt to contact you asking for clarification of your address. 

But whatever the legal status, I wouldnt rely on it.  You dont know for sure when the bank will contact you, when they will be notified and even assuming they do enact the change of address you dont know accurately when that will happen.

Here's the thing: if the submitted the form as shown in the screenshot:

Mail Forwarding.png

then businesses that send mail to the old address will NOT be notified, because "Without removal notice" is checked. Therefore, the OPs question makes no sense.

This is a new feature since the last time I used the mail forwarding service in 2005, but since they offer it, you should assume it works. It saves you a lot of time, trouble, and potentially money (postage) notifying each business of your change of address separately, but only if it's used (which it isn't in the case in the screenshot).

4 hours ago, zwiebelfisch said:

Is your question whether or not this is a reliable machinsm to inform your bank etc, or are you really asking if you can bring a civil case against a bank that does not react to such a notification?

I doubt that they would just silently update their records, that just doesnt seem to me like the german way.  My expectation is that your bank/other institution would attempt to contact you asking for clarification of your address. 

But whatever the legal status, I wouldnt rely on it.  You dont know for sure when the bank will contact you, when they will be notified and even assuming they do enact the change of address you dont know accurately when that will happen.

I have no intention to sue or civil case. Just curious to know.

1 hour ago, El Jeffo said:

Here's the thing: if the submitted the form as shown in the screenshot:

Mail Forwarding.png

then businesses that send mail to the old address will NOT be notified, because "Without removal notice" is checked. Therefore, the OPs question makes no sense.

This is a new feature since the last time I used the mail forwarding service in 2005, but since they offer it, you should assume it works. It saves you a lot of time, trouble, and potentially money (postage) notifying each business of your change of address separately, but only if it's used (which it isn't in the case in the screenshot).

Well, when I took and attached the above screenshot, I didn't mean to say that I am going to select option as per screenshot i.e. "Without removal notice". 

I am sorry if that wasn't clear.

My question has been answered by someonesdaughter who used service before so its good now.

Thanks all.