Gendered Pricing in Hairdressers

36 posts in this topic

Does anybody know of any hairdressers in Berlin (particularly Neukölln), who don't have unfair gendered pricing? 

So annoyed to see that some hairdressers even have different prices for a women's long haircut, and a men's long haircut. 

Thanks for any advice :)

Nope ... I've always seen different prices for different haircuts so, depending on your definition of unfair / gendered, I think you are mostly out of luck.

No idea if it's unfair since I am only 1 of the genders (and you don't specify yours) but the prices for a man's cut around the area of the U8 - Boddinstrasse is in the 12-15 Euro range, depending on whether you want German music or tea.  Cuts for women seem to always cost more but the disparity in this area is less than others - but this is also dependent upon what you want done.

For example, right now, my hair is just about on my shoulders (yes, I'm a lazy git) and when I go in I'm going to be charged for a "long" haircut just to get it back to above the collar / over my ears.  If my girlfriend wants to get her (much longer) hair cut, there is much more to do (feathering / layering and such) so it's going to be naturally more expensive.

You want expensive (to me) - beard trimming ... no pricing for different genders but still, 25 Euros to start for a trim seems a bit high!

ETA: There are also a couple of traveling hairdressers that may fit your needs ... I can let you know the next time there is one in the Wienerstrasse area if you'd like.

Thanks for the answer Chooyo.  :)

There is not always more to do for women's haircuts. I am a woman who in the past has had to pay extortionate prices for a "women's cut" when I was just growing out a shaved head. I am disappointed in myself for not arguing my case at the time, and my principles will not allow me to this again. 

Gendered pricing is not only wrong because of its sexist nature, but because it makes it very difficult for trans people for example. 

I understand that long haircuts take longer than short haircuts, but that should be the only differentiation in pricing. 

I agree with you. Good luck. I've never managed.

I also don't want a cheap haircut. One generally gets what one pays for.

My girl charges me the same whether my hair is long or short, BTW.

General agree it should be a price per 10 mins for both genders - like it is when you get your car serviced.

Trouble is, I have never seen the price as 3 euro per  10 mins in any hairdressers - its always the price for a hair cut.

I think that the hairdresser thinks that generally a woman's hair will take longer to do, because they do not seem to be able to offer 3 euro per 10 mins, then they try to factor this in by asking more money for a fixed haircut.for a woman.

Of course we can all argue, the average time it takes to cut a mans or womans hair, but it seems reasonable to me.

The other factor, is that women tend to want to look good much more than  a man does, if you accept this, then the hairdresser is just cashing on the fact that women will just pay more, than a man would to look good.- this is just straight capitalism.

I myself, pay 25 euro for a hair cut, but I am well aware that I can get my hair cut for around 10 euro in Munich, but I just think I get a better haircut for 25 euro :) - only about 6 euro in my area of the UK. 

When we lived in Marienfelde in Berlin, we used to visit my wife's sister in Neukolln.

I and my wife always used to get our hair cut there, always going to Turkish barbers.

They do not rip you off because you're a woman, and speaking from a male perspective, I've never had a better haircut.

The most I've paid for a haircut since moving here was probably 13€ at one of these German hair salon chains. Lowest probably 8€ at an Arab barbershop and it was a better cut.  However since most of my hair has strangely migrated from my head to my back by now, I just machine it off myself.

I hate getting a hair cut sometimes because of all the fussing they do with woman's hair afterwords. I just want it cut.  

I went once to a place that was clearly a barbershop for men, and not a stylist.  I went in there and said "I'd like the 4 euro hair cut please".  He said "we don't do women's hair here".  I said "I know, i want the MANS hair cut".  It was kind of funny - old italian guy and nervous as hell about cutting my hair.  He kept insisting he didnt do all that styling stuff.  It took me a few minutes to convince him that I'm about low maintenance as most dudes he has.  Simple trim, THATS IT. 

Best money i ever spent.  So yeah, find a barber.  

I don't like the fussing about, either. I have my girl put some product on, muss about with my hair with her fingers and put me under that rolly around dryer thingy for 10 min. Quicker but, of course, costs the same.

So how much per minute would I pay for sitting in the chair alone for 30 min. with color in my hair?

B)

Go to any hipster saloon and mostly there is no gender price, it is expensive for everyone.   

Or go to Dong Xuan center, there is still gender prices but it is dirty cheap for everyone.   Not sure about the quality though, and the communication might be not easy.

Plenty "Cut & Go" do not have gender prices, around 15 EUR for everyone for just the haircut.

Thanks for the answers everybody. The thing is, I'm not trying to find a cheap haircut, I'm trying to find a salon with non sexist values. 

35 minutes ago, Krieg said:

Plenty "Cut & Go" do not have gender prices, around 15 EUR for everyone for just the haircut.

Krieg, where do I find these Cut & Go places? I don't care if it's fancy or not. 

5 minutes ago, CreepyCrowley said:

Krieg, where do I find these Cut & Go places? I don't care if it's fancy or not. 

"Cut & Go" is a concept.  It is like asking "Where to find a coffee-to-go?".   But yes, there are actually a couple of places called literally Cut & Go.

You can start here:

https://www.google.de/search?source=hp&ei=KqbNW9jfNeSOrgTe-ba4Bw&q=cut%26go+berlin&oq=cut%26go+berlin&gs_l=psy-ab.3..0i13k1j0i22i30k1l9.729.5632.0.6023.20.15.3.0.0.0.193.1604.0j11.11.0...0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..6.14.1632.0..0j35i39k1j0i10i30k1j0i30k1j0i10k1j0i10i203k1.0.O64BwpTpIOM

They are basically everywhere.

7 hours ago, French bean said:

Why do men who's hair has mostly fallen out still get charged more than children?

Most places offer a lower price for a machine cut but I think most guys in that situation just buy their own machine.

We should also consider that Hairdressers are considered to the one of worst paid people in Germany. ...

Knowing this I do not mind so much going to a place where I think they are paid a bit more than the minimum wage and giving a tip.

That is a very weak excuse for sexist pricing. If they need to raise the prices, raise it for both men and women. 

38 minutes ago, yesterday said:

We should also consider that Hairdressers are considered to the one of worst paid people in Germany. ...

Knowing this I do not mind so much going to a place where I think they are paid a bit more than the minimum wage and giving a tip.

I was raised in salons and my mom did runway hair forever. I spent 4 years having my cut and color done in a salon in Germany. I was in the chair for 4 hours every time. This entire process should take no more than 2.5 hours. I now color my and my wife's hair with pro color from esalon and we get our hair cut in half an hour. German salons are charging women too much for their own inefficiency.