Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flying Ryanair in November 2018

53 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

@fraufruit Maybe I'm naive, but surely that have to reroute me to Paris, Amsterdam, Frankfurt or God help us: London, and from there onto Dublin (although then  ideally Shannon).

They cannot just say: no other direct flights, cannot reroute.

Remember there is a problem to every solution.

They will do that. Trust me, just happened to me in September.

The only problem is, when they are re-routing 100 or 200 people onto already booked flights, not too many seats available.

I had this problem at Heathrow with a connecting flight to the U.S. Long story short, I will never fly BA again or go over Heathrow. It was a nightmare.

9 minutes ago, fraufruit said:

I had this problem at Heathrow with a connecting flight to the U.S. Long story short, I will never fly BA again or go over Heathrow. It was a nightmare.

When I used to travel to US for my employer (economy class only) the Second Law os international travel applied:

Never transit via London Heathrow

The First Law?

Never transit via Paris Charles de Gaulle

Some say that Heathrow has improved (the one time I tried was only time to the US that my luggage did not make it).

Luckily I had several managers who had had bad experiences with such connections & thus I was able to go via FRA or MUC.

Think I first flew Ryanair about 14 years ago, Didn't like the shoving in the queue and the free for all on board. Didn't like the attitude of the cabin crew either and vowed to avoid them if possible. Unfortunately where we live in RLP Ryanair do a flight from Baden Airpark to Stansted. Baden as an airport is fantastic, easy and quaint. Stansted is just another overpriced shithole. So I have used Ryanair and still don't like it even though they probably have the most modern fleet (no aircraft older than 5 years), flying is no different than most other airlines and I've had no issues on any flight since the first. I think it's because I despise O'Leary and his attitude. However, last time we flew to the UK we used Lufthansa from Frankfurt to B'ham. Ok it cost more but as I'm from the Midlands I had less time travelling in the UK and no rail costs. The cross country rail link from Stansted to Birmingham is a dirty shitty service. DB should be embarrassed to own such a dirty train. So would I fly Ryanair from Baden again? Only if I have to, not because of the flight but because of Stansted. There is just no fun in flying anymore because of the airports. Cattle are treated better.

Ryanair was great until 3 years ago. Always on time, prices good. 

2 years ago I started having problems. So I decided that I would only fly with priority boarding and reserved hand luggage. That solved a few issues. 

But lately the service has been a disgrace. And with this strike situation, I can tell you that I won't fly again with them until something improves. Even now I was only flying with them because they have a direct flight, so it is better for the kid. The price was no longer the main factor. 

2 hours ago, French bean said:

There is just no fun in flying anymore ..

Full-Stop.

At least I had some transatlantic travel pre-2001 when things were better (& I had Frequent Flyer status with LH) but nowadays...

18 hours ago, MadAxeMurderer said:

I live in Graz, and want to fly from Vienna to Dublin. Out Thu 1 Nov, Back Mon 5 Nov.

Does the direct flight from Vienna to Dublin from Air Lingus / British Airways not fit your schedule either way?

@Kommentarlos Godamm it, I rely heavily on flightconnections.com to find who goes where. They were only showing laudaoption, now they are are only showing aerlingus.

The Aer Lingus flights are marginally more expensive, and the return flight leaves too early: 07:10, I'll have to start driving at 02:00 but it is definetly not Ryanair.

I generally use opodo.de and airline-direct.de. They are booking sites like expedia

Flightconnections is good because it shows every single direct flight connection out of the airport you choose.

1 minute ago, SpiderPig said:

I flew to Tenerife this last Feb..

No issues, Cheap and ON TIME...

Anyone else had these issues with Ryanair? B)

No, never had these problems!

1 hour ago, SpiderPig said:

Anyone else had these issues with Ryanair?

I've had delays (enough for a compensation), but I've had delays with other airlines as well. I don't fly that much but the only time a flight got cancelled on me was with lufthansa. I just choose whichever airline is cheaper and reasonably convenient (I probably won't fly from Memmingen again)

On 17/10/2018, 09:01:34, msam said:

I've had delays (enough for a compensation), but I've had delays with other airlines as well. I don't fly that much but the only time a flight got cancelled on me was with lufthansa. I just choose whichever airline is cheaper and reasonably convenient (I probably won't fly from Memmingen again)

I agree. Whilst the experience itself is pretty shit with Ryanair*, I have found them no worse than any other airline in terms of reliability. In fact, as a I have mentioned on here before, during some snow chaos in 2010 or so, Ryanair got me back to the UK for christmas without problems whilst BA and Lufthansa etc. had their customers sleeping on airport floors.

I fly a reasonable amount and have only had 2 outright cancellations. Both were Air France. One of which was sold to me after the flight had already been cancelled. Never again.

*this can be mitigated against by purchasing the "plus" extras or whatever.

On 10/19/2018, 1:38:16, theGman said:

I fly a reasonable amount and have only had 2 outright cancellations. Both were Air France. One of which was sold to me after the flight had already been cancelled. Never again.

Matter of luck. The only cancellation I've had was with Ryanair. The problem is not the cancellation, it is how they handle it.

On 10/17/2018, 7:53:05, SpiderPig said:

I flew to Tenerife this last Feb..

No issues, Cheap and ON TIME...

Anyone else had these issues with Ryanair? B)

I flew back last night with Ryanair.

I'm really pissed, because my flight landed 10 minutes early!  It meant i could also get the earlier (delayed) train and the whole experience could have easily saved me 30 minutes.  Not the mention the 100s of Euros saved when compared to Lufthansa/BA.

3 minutes ago, dj_jay_smith said:

I flew back last night with Ryanair.

I'm really pissed, because my flight landed 10 minutes early!  It meant i could also get the earlier (delayed) train and the whole experience could have easily saved me 30 minutes.  Not the mention the 100s of Euros saved when compared to Lufthansa/BA.

Bastards...

Dont frett about it.. you will get over it soon...   My condolences..  :ph34r: